My week this week! My workshop videos

Advert

My week this week! My workshop videos

Home Forums The Tea Room My week this week! My workshop videos

• This topic has 249 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 4 May 2024 at 16:25 by Phil Whitley.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 250 total)
  • Author
    Phil Whitley
    Participant
      @philwhitley94135

Hi Chaps, many of you have suggested that I post all my videos in one thread, and I have decided to give it a go and see how it works out. From now on I will post in this thread every week, starting with these offerings. As usual some things go right, and some don't. You do have to be carefull with the Gopro as the tiny touch screen makes it really easy to touch the wrong button without noticing, hence there is a second slideshow of the pics I took when I thought I was shooting video. I think a second camera may be on the cards! Hope you enjoy these, and remember to like, comment, and subscribe! Thanks for watching!

**LINK**
      **LINK**

Advert
      Phil Whitley
      Participant
        @philwhitley94135
        Thor 🇳🇴
        Participant
          @thor

Hi Phil,

I wish I had a forge like yours, unfortunately my workshop is too small to make room for one. Thanks for sharing.

Thor

Phil Whitley
          Participant
            @philwhitley94135

Thor, you wouldn't if you saw the smoke when I light it!, it needs A bigger flue, or a bigger flue fan, or both, adding the small flue fan to the forge flue improved matters a bit, but caused other problems with the other flue (workshp heating system) which is also connected to the same manifold, as you would expect. I am going to try a much bigger flue fan on the main flue outlet, in the hope that it will clear the hood of smoke instantly, and also that I will be able to throttle the workshop heater with its flue damper whilst I am lighting the forge! I was lucky with purchasing the forge, at an auction selling of the contents of a local schools metalwork shop, the throat plate and base plate were rotted out and the bosh leaked, and I think that put most people off, I paid £4.00 for it! Brazing hearth at the same auction, also same price. Unfortunately, I had to leave the furnace and all the moulding flasks and casting kit because I had no more room on my van

Thanks for the comments.

Phil,

East Yorkshire

Phil Whitley
            Participant
              @philwhitley94135

Thor,

thinking a bit more about what you said, my cousins lad fancied a go at knife making, and was looking with envy at my forge, and when I built my workshop wood fired heater, it involved chopping the top of an old gas bottle. The top of the bottle was kicking around in the workshop, and I picked it up and looked at it, and basically it fulfills all the criteria for a mini bottom blown forge. basically, a thick metal bowl, with a threaded inlet in the centre, and the valve guard makes the stand. I fitted a water pipe elbow and a length of pipe to it, and he used a hairdryer for a forge blower, and made some very neat knives with it, using charcoal as fuel. You could build one of those, and use it outside your workshop on fine days! I think I still have it, as he moved quickly on to a wizzo propane forge. I will look tomorrow and take a pic if I have.

Phil

Phil Whitley
              Participant
                @philwhitley94135

Hi Thor, Can't find it, but I think from the description above you will get the picture. He made some surprisingly good knives with it, he seems to have a natural flair for creating offensive weapons!, his anvil was an old railway line shoe he "found" in a railway yard, somewhere in England!

Phil

Phil Whitley
                Participant
                  @philwhitley94135

here you go, from when I cut it. You get the idea!

Phil

Thor 🇳🇴
                  Participant
                    @thor

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the photo, yes, smoke can be irritating. I am no blacksmith (or knifesmith) but I occasionally do silver soldering and just use a few firebricks to make a temporary hearth outdoors. I have to wait for nice weather, which you don'tsmiley.

Thor

Phil Whitley
                    Participant
                      @philwhitley94135

Thor, I have been to Kingston upon Hull today (usually called Ull!) and it was freeeezin cold, must be global warming! Yes a little box of firebricks to keep the heat trapped, and a decent blowlamp like a Rothenberger, and you can achieve very high temperatures!

Best of luck,

Phil

Phil Whitley
                      Participant
                        @philwhitley94135

Hi chaps! Not much time spent in the workshop this week, but managed to get a bit done, failures and succeses!¬ and as an added bonus, a car repair, you can't be without a heater this weather! Enjoy, and subscribe if you like it!
                        Phil
                        East Yorkshire.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                        Participant
                          @philwhitley94135

Hi all, as usual, I didnt get s full week in the workshop this week, but fitted s new motor to the old fan housing, which is much more powerful, and very effi9cient, but I heed to modify the flue as well before I can tell if the problem is solved. It certainly works better than it did! Enjoy, like and comment , and as usual thanks to you all for taking an interest in my channel and thanks and welcome to all the new subscribers!
                          Phil
                          East Yorkshire

Video link
                          https://youtu.be/Rgoji6X9Klo

Phil Whitley
                          Participant
                            @philwhitley94135

Here you go chaps, I must have done something wrong as the link wasn't actually a link!!

Phil Whitley
                            Participant
                              @philwhitley94135

My week this week, got a couple of useful days in, and some part days, built up the new flue, but will be fitting it next week weather permitting, tried out a bit of TIG cam, but I need to cover the back of the mask to prevent reflections, so will do some more soon. You really will learn absolutley nothing from my TIG "skills" save to say that I can make a fair job of steel, but find aluminium much harder, which, by all acounts, it is! Thanks for watching and subscribing, leave comments and any questions you may have (why are you such a T*aT) is not a valid question, and anyway, I don't know the answer!
                              Enjoy, subscribe, laugh!

Phil

**LINK**

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                              Participant
                                @philwhitley94135

New stuff, firewood and a reluctant pump, its all in a weeks worth of work! Havent had much chance to film this week, so hope you like what I did get done!
                                Phil
                                East Yorkshire

**LINK**

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                                Participant
                                  @philwhitley94135

Hi all, this week the first of a two part slideshow on building my wood fired warm air workshop heater. My shop is 1150Sq ft, and is now warm even in the coldest days!

Phil,

East Yorkshire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAViA-jroio

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKf…ltBjj7MWtdjWA?

Edited By Phil Whitley on 20/12/2019 22:03:17

Phil Whitley
                                  Participant
                                    @philwhitley94135

Part 2 of the heater build and a couple of videos at the end of a walk in the rain with my daughter, including gratuitous squirrel content, and lots of roaring water! watch, subscribe, like and enjoy!

Edited By Phil Whitley on 27/12/2019 18:35:45

Edited By Phil Whitley on 27/12/2019 18:37:16

Edited By JasonB on 27/12/2019 19:22:39

Phil Whitley
                                    Participant
                                      @philwhitley94135

Thanks jasonB, I will try that next time!!

Phil Whitley
                                      Participant
                                        @philwhitley94135

Hi Guys, part 1 of my workshop rebuild slideshow, I will be putting more up in between videos, and I am back at the workshop from Monday, so expect a video next friday If I can get something interesting done. Monday I will be back out to fit new hoses to the showerpump, as the old ones were leaking, and then seeing if we can solve the other problems Thanks for watching, like, and subscribe of you want, but most of all Enjoy!
                                        Phil
                                        East Yorkshire.

Edited By Phil Whitley on 03/01/2020 19:23:49

Edited By Phil Whitley on 03/01/2020 19:24:54

Phil Whitley
                                        Participant
                                          @philwhitley94135

JasonB, tried what you suggested, typed the blurb, opened the you tube box, put the url in it by copy and pasting straight from youtube, and it didnt work! Could this be a firefox problem

Phil Whitley
                                          Participant
                                            @philwhitley94135
                                            Phil Whitley
                                            Participant
                                              @philwhitley94135

Hi Guys, below is part 2 of my workshop rebuild, the interior of the "Chuch lane end", no video this week as I have been off with sinusitis, a thumping head and a stiff neck, but I am determined to go back next week, so it will probably snow!! like, subscribe and enjoy, any comments and questions welcome!

Phil

East Yorkshire

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:00:22

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:03:28

Edited By Phil Whitley on 11/01/2020 16:04:52

Phil Whitley
                                              Participant
                                                @philwhitley94135

Hi Guys, part 3 of the workshop rebuild series, actually in the workshop itself. Still quite intensive, but not as difficult or time consuming as the Church lane end. Enjoy, like, subscribe, and be amazed that I actually completed it without having a complete meltdown!!

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                                                Participant
                                                  @philwhitley94135

Back to video this week chaps, part 2 of the workshop tour, Beyond the sliding door! Like siuscribe, and enjoy, comments and questions very welcomed!
                                                  Phil

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                                                  Participant
                                                    @philwhitley94135

Hi Chaps, having mainly recovered from my Lurgi, I am back at work on "light duties" so in the last couple of days, I have been building the new straight flue to try and cure the forge smoking problem. I have built a coupler/ hinge to join the new flue to the old one, and to install and maintain the flue extractor, and so that I can lower the flue in windy weather, as we do get a lot of wind in winter and early spring. There is also a slideshow of rebuilding and upgrading my BEN patents air compressor. Like, comment, subscribe if you want, but above all, Enjoy!!
                                                    Phil
                                                    East Yorkshire

**LINK**

Phil Whitley
                                                    Participant
                                                      @philwhitley94135

Hi chaps, got the flue finished and put up this week, and also included my ride home over the Yorkshire wolds, like, subscribe, and enjoy!
                                                      Phil
                                                      East Yorkshire.
                                                      https://youtu.be/qkP69FMS0W4

Edited By Phil Whitley on 07/02/2020 18:23:42

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 250 total)