TALE OF TWO VIPERS

Advert

TALE OF TWO VIPERS

Home Forums I/C Engines TALE OF TWO VIPERS

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    dean clarke 2
    Participant
      @deanclarke2

So with the v12 project in the last stages and not wanting to start anything new until I have finished off all the other half started projects I thought I might share my first foray into diesel engine building. A while ago I was looking in the gallery of Ron Chernics modelenginenews website and found some photos of the Naylon Viper 2.5cc diesel engine that some clever sod had built which looked really nice. Being a rather fanaticle control line flyer from the days of my earliest childhood ( thanks Dad ) I have always had a strong love of diesel engines, especially 2.5cc engines. Having owned and flown most types I just had to have a go at building one ( Ok or two or more) so I decided that this was the engine to build…… not having any drawings to speak of I managed to find a couple of GA drawings for the motor a mk1 and a mk2 as it turned out, ok so I'll build them both then………having seen ramons moverly hogging from solid with the eta's etc I decided I'll do a front rotary induction version as well and of course the set wouldn't be complete without an inline twin so ok I'll build that to. After having found so lumps of alloy things got put on the backburner so to speak when the v12 started to take shape but now I think it's time to carry on with the show… below shows whats been done so far..

viper_ga.jpg

viper_ga2.jpg

viper_man78-04_2.jpg

start of the crankcases.jpg

start of the frv tbr version crankcase.jpg

So lets start the machining yay

facing the mk 1 case to length.jpg

inlilne twin crankcasehogging out.jpg

Thats a lot of swarf LOL

thats a lot of swarf!!!!.jpg

inline twin crankcase 1.jpg

inline twin crankcase 2.jpg

frv tbr crankcase 2.jpg

frv tbr crankcase 1.jpg

Below shows the crankcases all done to the end of the first stage of machining.

crancases all done to first stage and tooling.jpg

Cheers for now

Dean

Advert
      dean clarke 2
      Participant
        @deanclarke2

Oh alright,,,,,,,,,, three and a twin then.

Bill Pudney
        Participant
          @billpudney37759

Fantastic!!

I too have been working on a pair of Vipers for some time, a Mk1 and a Mk2, I'm far slower than you are Dean!! Mine are almost complete, just requiring some detail work on the front bearing housings, the rotary disc making, and a pair of needle valve assemblies.

Love your work, especially the FI crankcase and the twin….everyone needs a twin!!

keep up the great work

cheers

Bill

dean clarke 2
          Participant
            @deanclarke2

Well managed to make the fixture to turn the cylinder bore last weekend and will hopefully have the cases finished this weekend. photos below

crankcase fixture for cylinder 2.jpg

crankcase fixture for cylinder 1.jpg

starting the cylinder hole machining in the frv version

mahining the cylinder hole fri.jpg

cheers

Dean

Muzzer
            Participant
              @muzzer

Wow, work is proceeding at a blistering pace! Looking forward eagerly to progress updates.

I was wondering how the mixture was fed in and also what the "3-2 Rotor" did. Seems this machine has a rotary (disk) valve at the rear of the engine (rather than on the crank in the second version) which answers both questions.

Interesting overview of the Viper here for ignorami like myself.

Murray

Edited By Muzzer on 28/01/2016 10:49:02

dean clarke 2
              Participant
                @deanclarke2

Hey there, the original naylon vipers (mk1 and mk2) were both rear disc valve induction, I am also doing my own design front rotary valve induction version, will keep the update coming as much as I can. Oh and of course the inline twin is center rotary valve induction and I will post a pic of the crank arrangement for any of you that is interested in the way this works.

Cheers

Dean

dean clarke 2
                Participant
                  @deanclarke2

Here's the next little bit on this project, cylinder liners are under way…..YAY

liners under way.jpg

Cheers

Dean

Neil Wyatt
                    @neilwyatt
                    Posted by dean clarke 2 on 28/01/2016 23:11:37:

Hey there, the original naylon vipers (mk1 and mk2) were both rear disc valve induction, I am also doing my own design front rotary valve induction version,

Ah! I thought you must be doping something like that.- can't figure out the disk induction at all from the GA.

Lovely job on shaping that crankcase.

Neil

JasonB
                      @jasonb
                      Posted by Neil Wyatt on 25/02/2016 10:10:50:

Ah! I thought you must be doping something like that.- can't figure out the disk induction at all from the GA.

Neil

That bit at the rear of the crank on the GA called a Rotor is the induction disc. Must try harderwink 2

The hole for the venturi is in one corner of the backplate so you can't see that in the section, have a look here for enlightenment

Looking good Dean

Edited By JasonB on 25/02/2016 10:19:16

dean clarke 2
                      Participant
                        @deanclarke2

Thanks Jason, I will try to keep this project moving along. I am also working on putting an anodising plant together so I can add some nice colours to some of these engines.

Cheers for now

Dean

JasonB
                          @jasonb

Dean did you see Ramons article on anodising? its what he uses on his 5cc engines.

J

dean clarke 2
                          Participant
                            @deanclarke2

Yea I have read it like 5000 times, still nervous as hell though, I am very much a tactile learner and struggle with doing from written destructions, LOL.

Cheers

Dean

dean clarke 2
                            Participant
                              @deanclarke2

HAPPY NEW YEAR too everyone, just letting you know I haven't really forgotten this thread, but somebody has been suggesting that the gardens need a tidy up so guess that means no shed time for a bit. might need to reconsider that option, see how we go.angry 2

will get right back onto it sooncrying 2crying 2

Dean

dean clarke 2
                              Participant
                                @deanclarke2

So not quite the naylon viper engines which are still languishing in the back burner but a step in the right direction at least……………………. being that they're diesels anyway lol, just completed these two engines as part of the WOHM engine development program i'm involved with.

regards

Dean

David George 1
                                Participant
                                  @davidgeorge1

Nice colours as you predicted on these motors and nice to see them running at last.

David

dean clarke 2
                                  Participant
                                    @deanclarke2

Still working on this project too lol

Dean

dean clarke 2
                                    Participant
                                      @deanclarke2

Soooooo, after a somewhat extended "must get back onto these" leave of absence I've finally fished them out of the dark depths of despair where I left them languishing and brought them back out into the light of living grace and will upload the next few steps in their construction hopefully over the next few days or so.

Cheers

Dean

Ramon Wilson
                                      Participant
                                        @ramonwilson3

Hi Dean,

Don't beat yourself up too much – my destined 5cc pair of crankcases still sit waiting some TLC indecision

Despite thoughts of using one for a twin shaft version it's very unlikely now that I will do anything further with them

Good to see your enthusiasm is still there, look forwards to seeing your progress on them

Best Regards – Tug

dean clarke 2
                                        Participant
                                          @deanclarke2

Hey Tug, good to hear from you, send me your address I have a present for you, also if you're not going to finish the 5cc vipers, I'm Happy to complete them for you and send one back to you, along with another surprise if you're keen.

Dean

Ramon Wilson
                                          Participant
                                            @ramonwilson3

Hi Dean, I'm happy to let you have them but I won't need one back though it's a nice thought. Are you still at the old 777 email addy?

I'll be in touch

Tug

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)