Mail Deliveries in your area

Advert

Mail Deliveries in your area

Home Forums General Questions Mail Deliveries in your area

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    bernard towers
    Participant
      @bernardtowers37738

Ordered a parting blade and a few tips from Jenny at 1pm wed arrived 9.30am thurs via Royal Mail . That’s Derbyshire to Norwich!!!!

Advert
      Ian Hewson
      Participant
        @ianhewson99641

First class post parcel  from Leicester to Ashington , Northumberland, normally next day has now been over a week.

Some days no sign of post man.

Service is normally good.

Ian

Graham Meek
        Participant
          @grahammeek88282

On the 6th of December I finally received a package that was sent on the 6th of November, it was tracked apparently, but there is no information to say why it was late.

“Royal Mail: 050CA60BAF2

Hide tracking details

6 Dec 2023
          9:43am
          Delivered by
          6 Nov 2023
          10:21am”

I can report that the whole saga that has affected the deliveries to our street has now been passed to the Minister for the Department of Business & Trade.

Regards

Gray,

duncan webster 1
          Participant
            @duncanwebster1

I’ve been sending parcels by Royal Mail for over 50 years, never again. I went on line to buy the postage and found it impossible to avoid having them come and collect. Previously you used to get right to the end of the process and untick the collect box, which allowed you to take it to the local post office. It is extremely inconvenient to have to wait in for collection, for one thing I have to take the dog out. Eventually I gave up and took it to the PO, who told me this is a common problem, one lady had waited in for 2 days before giving up. Royal Mail are trying to take local PO out of the loop. To add insult to injury there is an extra charge for using the PO. No wonder they are in difficulty, I’ll be using a courier in future

Colin Heseltine
            Participant
              @colinheseltine48622

Duncan,

There still is a line to select to say you will take to the Post Office.  I did a small parcel today and took it down.  The 16p charge annoys me a little.  I have never had anything go awry using Royal mail.

Colin

duncan webster 1
              Participant
                @duncanwebster1

I’m sure there is, but it’s not where it was, and it’s well hidden. The only parcel I’ve ever had go missing was Royal mail, even the dreaded Hermes never lost anything of mine

duncan webster 1
                Participant
                  @duncanwebster1

having had a grouse it’s only fair to give credit where it’s due, parcel posted ~14:00 Monday, arrived this morning.

Graham Meek
                  Participant
                    @grahammeek88282

On the day I received a reply form the Minister for Business and Trade via my MP. The BBC “Points West” ran a report of how bad the deliveries were in the West Country. Some folk there have been without mail since the 6th of November. Others have found their mail in hedgerows while others have had their mail delivered in a neighbouring village, miles away.

The reply from the Minister was that he could do nothing as Royal Mail are a private company. Clearly the law which covers Royal Mail, stating that they have to deliver 6 days a week no longer applies as for as the Minister is concerned.

Is it down to the individual to enforce these laws? For my part it might as well not be on the statute books. Did they not think of this when the company was sold off, it appears not.

Regards

Gray,

duncan webster 1
                    Participant
                      @duncanwebster1

Since October 23 I’ve had 3 letters to 2 different banks disappear into the firmament. I was going all guns blazing at one bank who I accused of either ignoring me or losing mail in their system, but then I had the same with another bank. This has cost me a fair chunk of money. I shouldn’t really have to pay a premium price to ensure delivery of a letter, I didn’t need express service. Like almost everything else that has been privatised the concept of reliable service has gone out of the window. I would write to my MP, but it probably wouldn’t get through, and he represents the privatise party anyway

Graham Meek
                      Participant
                        @grahammeek88282

Hi Duncan,

The problem is if you don’t write to your MP, Royal Mail will go on in their usual manner. Like the Post Office they are doing just what they like, with no regard to the law of the land.

You can send your MP a letter via email. If you print out your letter and sign it. Then scan the letter and send it as an attachment on the email your MP must answer.

Alternatively you could send your experiences to the Select Committee for Business & Trade Manager at the following email address. They were supposed to be having the CEO of Royal Mail back to question him after the recent Ofcom Fine.

commonsbtc@parliament.uk

Regards

Gray,

duncan webster 1
                        Participant
                          @duncanwebster1

I’ve written to the MP, but as I live in a marginal constituency and he has already said he’s not standing at the next election I don’t expect him to bust a gut doing anything about it. I’d better stop now or it will get political.

Ady1
                          Participant
                            @ady1

I opened the front door to do the bin and actually caught one lad yards from my door with my “you weren’t in” card waving in his hand

One olympic class 180 degree turn back towards the van and he returned with my parcel in hand

Graham Meek
                            Participant
                              @grahammeek88282

Hi Duncan,

Good for you, as regards marginal seats I think they all are lately.

Gray,

My Son-in-Law has one of those video door bells. He saw the mail delivery person coming up the steps to the front door with just the card, to say unable to deliver, and no parcel.

Of course he can see this live on the computer, plus his office is above the front door. A voice from the doorbell then  enquires if there is a problem. Delivery person then goes to the van and brings the parcel. By which time the front door is open and my daughter greets the delivery person with their card, “I think this is yours”, while the door bell says “thankyou”.

Regards

Gray,

Harry Wilkes
                              Participant
                                @harrywilkes58467

Strangely not five minutes ago had the very same thing door bell rang I stood up and as I did I came see my porch door and the guy walking off back to his van, I opened my front window which was the quickest thing to do and gave him a shout boy did he jump he came back up the path commented ‘thought you was not in mate’ I replied you never even waited for someone to answer the door and don’t say you did because I can see you though my front window plus whats the problem putting the packet through the letter box he just looked at me handed the packet and walked off !

H

duncan webster 1
                                Participant
                                  @duncanwebster1

The so called management have put such a load on the posties it’s not surprising they are tempted to take short cuts. At one time the management insisted that the postmen could walk at 3mph, no allowance for going up and down drives or fighting with recalcitrant letter boxes. One of the best ways of de-motivating people is to impose targets which are not achievable.

duncan webster 1
                                  Participant
                                    @duncanwebster1
                                      <li style=”text-align: left;”>Received a parcel Wednesday in mainland UK which was posted Monday in Northern Ireland. I’ve had three important letters to 2 different banks just disappear into the void in the last few months. The answer is clear, if you have an important letter put it in a box and send it as a parcel 😜
                                    roy entwistle
                                    Participant
                                      @royentwistle24699

When I was working ( 30 years back ) I was told that if I wanted so send a letter to work, not to put a stamp on it.

Roy

elanman
                                      Participant
                                        @elanman

If it’s important then it needs to go “signed for” or whatever they call it this week.

Here in North Yorks the post is patchy,some days next day, at other times three days. I think it depends on how many staff are off sick, hols, strike etc.

I use Interparcel to send large items, then you have a choice of carrier from parcel force to Everi etc, etc. Drop off or collection.

Graham Meek
                                        Participant
                                          @grahammeek88282

We are currently into our 8th day of no deliveries. Our regular postie is away and the “temps” will not deliver mail.

Regards

Gray,

SillyOldDuffer
                                            @sillyoldduffer

No consolation I know, but round here the performance of Royal Mail and all the other couriers is near perfect.   Can’t remember when I last had a problem – before I retired.

My daughter, who lives 15 miles away, has endless bother, partly because she lives in a block of flats where at least one resident is a thief, and everything the building maintainer said about security was an exaggeration.  Cameras not working, security gate not fixed after being broken by the fire-brigade attending a kitchen fire, and police not interested in a series of petty thefts, no matter how big the total.    She now has her stuff delivered to me.

I put my happy experience down to living in a low-crime village, with good roads and no parking issues, that’s not far from an Amazon Fulfilment Centre and a major PO Sorting Office.  Also, doesn’t appear to be a local problem recruiting drivers or posties.  I’m not in a tightly packed city, or in a remote wilderness.

Dave

Michael Gilligan
                                            Participant
                                              @michaelgilligan61133

Tenuously relevant to this Topic

There is a very interesting story in the Telegraph … about fake U.K. Postage Stamps being printed in China and sold cheaply here.

MichaelG.

Apple users can find it here:

https://apple.news/AGyK5O125Q1ua5TV1EfDcuw

… others may need to use their initiative.

Graham Meek
                                              Participant
                                                @grahammeek88282

Hi Michael,

The BBC is running this story today. I was told by Royal Mail when we were duped out of our old bona fide stamps, that the new ones were unique and it was not possible to counterfeit.

No doubt the new 10p hike in the cost of postage is to fund paying off the fine imposed by Ofcom, and to invest in another “unique” stamp??

It is clear to me that in a few years time there will be no Royal Mail.

Regards

Gray.

duncan webster 1
                                                Participant
                                                  @duncanwebster1

According to the BBC if someone uses a counterfeit stamp, knowingly or not, the recipient is fined £5. How can this be justice, the recipient has done nothing wrong. With the level of integrity shown by public bodies nowadays it wouldn’t surprise me if Royal Mail have got a batch of duff stamps and are sending them out at random.

Grindstone Cowboy
                                                  Participant
                                                    @grindstonecowboy

Yes Duncan, that struck me as a bit odd (and unfair) too. Maybe one can refuse to accept the delivery? I wonder how that would pan out?

Rob

Dalboy
                                                    Participant
                                                      @dalboy
                                                      On Graham Meek Said:

We are currently into our 8th day of no deliveries. Our regular postie is away and the “temps” will not deliver mail.

Regards

Gray,

That is the same here. Apparently the postie get to choose their rounds and no one wants this one where I live. So when the postie is off either sick or on holiday we don’t get any. I had some plant plugs ordered but due to the postie on holiday and no one wanting to deliver, 80% of them were no good. The box they are in clearly states that there are plants inside. As well as that some can’t tell the difference from mail marked ***** Lane or ***** Close, but not their fault it was the sorting office for not putting them in the right pile, surely they have to look at the number so not difficult to check the address at the same time.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)