Harrison m300 gearbox repair

Harrison m300 gearbox repair

Home › Forums › Manual machine tools › Harrison m300 gearbox repair

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #13343
    david gregg 1
    Participant
      @davidgregg1
      #380939
      david gregg 1
      Participant
        @davidgregg1

        the rotary dial for changing the screwi cutting which is numbered 1to 8 on the gearbox of my Harrison m300 had become very stiff in fact almost to change the settings ,so I decided to remove the gearbox to investigate .,when removed I discovered that the shaft on which the gears slide had become all glazed with a brown looking glaze after washing the shaft with some thinners to remove this glaze the gears moved with ease . I also replaced the sight glass for the oil level .After the gearbox was refitted to the lathe I refilled with the correct oil The handbook said that the gearbox required 1/2 litre of oil but I found that I needed 3/4 litre to bring oil to the correct level on the sightglass

        #380945
        Brian Wood
        Participant
          @brianwood45127

          That sort of recovery is very satisfying to do, nice one

          Brian

          #380955
          Vic
          Participant
            @vic

            Yes indeed Brian. The M300 is a fantastic lathe so nice to hear David’s is now working well again. Nice job David.

            #380984
            Jon
            Participant
              @jon

              Testament to British quality and tolerances assuming its older than 20 years.

              Dont fancy removing my gearbox though must admit the last of its predecessor the 140 is a much better machine in several ways. For me the only gain with M300 is the no faff about with change wheels to cut any pitch imperial or metric – just dial it in simple.

            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

            Latest Replies

            Home › Forums › Manual machine tools › Topics

            Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
            Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

            View full reply list.