Grinding Table

Advert

Grinding Table

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Grinding Table

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

I’ve ordered some steel to make a table for my small belt grinder. Is there any advantage to the angle setter on this commercial unit that makes it worth duplicating. I should add I don’t intend to engrave any lines on the table.

IMG_9844

I’ve seen this home made version that is obviously much simpler. You thoughts please?

IMG_9835

Advert
      Vic
      Participant
        @vic

I’m planning on using a Bristol locking lever to lock the angle plate.

Diogenes
        Participant
          @diogenes

I haven’t bothered with lines on my table, ‘cos I’ve always found that if it’s critical I always find myself with a protractor in hand anyway, and if it’s not it, then it doesn’t matter!

In any case the angles I mostly use are between 1 or 2 degrees for relief, 5 or 10 for clearance and then the half angles for threading tools, plus a smattering of odd things for form tools.

For the common sharpening of lathe tools etc., I have little ‘angle-gauges’ cut out of flat stock which will either stand up on their edge and can be ‘eyed in’ against the belt-face, or laid flat against the edge of the table / belt / guide.

Bazyle
          Participant
            @bazyle

The little two piece gauge shown in the second photos is simple enough to make several set to different common angles. I made 3 equivalent ones but of course the one I want is always hiding. Only good for normal tool angles, not screwcutting tools though.

Vic
            Participant
              @vic

On Diogenes Said:

I haven’t bothered with lines on my table, ‘cos I’ve always found that if it’s critical I always find myself with a protractor in hand anyway, and if it’s not it, then it doesn’t matter!

In any case the angles I mostly use are between 1 or 2 degrees for relief, 5 or 10 for clearance and then the half angles for threading tools, plus a smattering of odd things for form tools.

For the common sharpening of lathe tools etc., I have little ‘angle-gauges’ cut out of flat stock which will either stand up on their edge and can be ‘eyed in’ against the belt-face, or laid flat against the edge of the table / belt / guide.

You mirror my thoughts, thanks for that. I too have lots of little home made “angle gauges”.

Vic
              Participant
                @vic
                On Bazyle Said:

The little two piece gauge shown in the second photos is simple enough to make several set to different common angles. I made 3 equivalent ones but of course the one I want is always hiding. Only good for normal tool angles, not screwcutting tools though.

That’s a good idea!

David George 1
                Participant
                  @davidgeorge1

It looks like I have to make a mod to my grinding table.

20201120_144828

David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)