Cryogenic Treatment of Instrument Strings

Advert

Cryogenic Treatment of Instrument Strings

Home Forums Materials Cryogenic Treatment of Instrument Strings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt

Here’s something I would have been very sceptical of, like improving your hifi with a green felt pen or £25,000 power cables (with silver fuses!), but having a basic knowledge of heat treatment of metals I’m willing to give it credence.

Basically, a ‘soak’ at very low frequencies is supposed to refine the grain structure and reduce stresses in bass guitar strings, increasing their tuning stability and making them sounds ‘bright and new’ for longer.

Rather than a manufacturer website, here’s a more objective explanation:

http://www.professorstring.com/archives/frozen_guitar_strings.php

Now as a bass player I’m familiar with how different various brands, materials and styles of string can be. As the premium on these is less than 50% compared to standard ones of similar quality, I’m tempted to give them a try.

Comments on the metallurgy involved most welcome!

Neil

Advert
      David Jupp
      Participant
        @davidjupp51506

I can believe the reduced retained austenite, cryogenic treatment has been used on mill rolls for many years.  It gives more complete transformation to greater depth below surface than conventional quench & temper alone.

How much practical benefits it gives on guitar strings, I’m not at all clear about.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)