bridgeport copy

Advert

bridgeport copy

Home Forums Manual machine tools bridgeport copy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    gary
    Participant
      @gary44937

hi anyone own a semco milling machine, are they any good?

Advert
      gary
      Participant
        @gary44937
        Jez
        Participant
          @jez

Hi Gary,

Yes, I have a Semco LC1-1/2 VS.

I'm told they're one of the better Bridgeport clones, although how true that is I don't know.

I had to re-build the head (vari-rattle!) to quieten it down but that's not uncommon with real variable speed Bridgeports either.

Spare parts don't appear to be compatible with real Bridgeport parts and aren't cheap. However, if you need to work on one, "A Guide to Renovating the Bridgeport 2J Variable Speed Milling Machine" is invaluable.

Apart from the head re-build I've had no complaints with it.

Cheers,

Jez.

gary
          Participant
            @gary44937

ok, thanks thanks for reply jez.

Jason Copland
            Participant
              @jasoncopland51808

Hello Jez,

I wonder, do you still have your Semco?

I just bought the same model and wondered if you might be able to help a little – there's been a little bit of bodging done inside the wiring cabinet – nothing too serious and I can probably sort it out without much difficulty but if you still have your mill I'd really appreciate seeing a couple of photos of the inside of the wiring cabinet. Can you help out?

Many thanks,

Jason

Posted by Jez on 28/05/2019 20:15:04:

Hi Gary,

Yes, I have a Semco LC1-1/2 VS.

I'm told they're one of the better Bridgeport clones, although how true that is I don't know.

I had to re-build the head (vari-rattle!) to quieten it down but that's not uncommon with real variable speed Bridgeports either.

Spare parts don't appear to be compatible with real Bridgeport parts and aren't cheap. However, if you need to work on one, "A Guide to Renovating the Bridgeport 2J Variable Speed Milling Machine" is invaluable.

Apart from the head re-build I've had no complaints with it.

Cheers,

Jez.

Jez
              Participant
                @jez

Hi Jason,

I do still have the mill, but I'm afraid I can't help you with the wiring. I ripped it all out and replaced the lot – I run the mill from a VFD.

Hope you get it sorted!

Sorry…

Jez.

Edited By Jez on 24/06/2023 10:18:38

Jason Copland
                Participant
                  @jasoncopland51808

Thanks Jez and no worries, I'll get it sorted – the Artful Bodger has been before me and I'm trying to decipher what was done and correct it as I go – I have a wiring diagram but it's not the finest example I've ever seen

Edited By Jason Copland on 24/06/2023 13:03:51

Jason Copland
                  Participant
                    @jasoncopland51808

@Jez, I managed to get the wiring all sorted out and powered up the machine for the first time yesterday, the work lamp shone brightly, the DRO glowed warmly but that was all she wrote. It was getting later in the evening and decided to sleep on it.

Woke up this morning with the idea in my head that the problem must be in the power supply to the control box (motor, table, pump control) That control box has a nice big green button and red e-off switch – push for off but twist to release and reset. I had already checked that but I had a suspicion that the e-off wasn't releasing properly. A quick squirt of contact cleaner and a bit of a wipe and now it works as it should, everything powers up and works as it should. I bought the machine knowing at had a "noisy head" – the guy wasn't kidding, it rattles and clanks like a ghost train. So my next job will be to strip and rebuild the head. You mentioned in your earlier posts that parts for SEMCO (Long Chang clones) are not all compatible with genuine BPs, did you source replacement parts from SEMCO direct? (I bought the operators manual and wiring diagram from them, I also bought the Guide to Renovating the Bridgeport 2J, an excellent book).

Cheers,

Jason

Jez
                    Participant
                      @jez

Glad you got it sorted!

Unfortunately I can't find the emails or receipts from when I bought the parts but I'm 99.9% sure I got them from Semco UK.

I do recall that they're quite proud of their spares (almost as much as Colchester!), so maybe sit down when opening the quote!

The 2J book helped a great deal when I did the job… Unfortunately I didn't take any photos of the job underway, but I did post some pictures of the worn parts:

Bearing slop movie

Worn pulley

New pulley

Spindle section

Good luck!

Jan Raap
                      Participant
                        @janraap84676

Hi @Jez and @Jason Copland,

I won a Semco LC – 1½ VS TURRET MILL today on auction and I am picking it up next week.

Do either of you maybe have a manual for the machine?

I will be very grateful if I can get a copy, please.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)