Advice on how to wire up a treadmill motor

Advert

Advice on how to wire up a treadmill motor

Home Forums Help and Assistance! (Offered or Wanted) Advice on how to wire up a treadmill motor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Greensands
    Participant
      @greensands

I have recently acquired a 220v/50Hz AC powered treadmill motor Model GM64 which I would like to consider for use as a means of powering a lathe top-slide mounted drill attachment. As supplied the motor is fitted with a 1:32 gearbox connected to the O/PTreadmill motor (1)Treadmill motor (2) drive shaft but for the intended purpose I intend to strip the motor from its mounting and arrange for an independent gear/belt drive arrangement for the drill attachment itself. The open speed of the motor is stated at 1400rpm which I trust will provide sufficient torque to drill/mill holes up to say ¼” diameter.

The label states that the motor is thermally protected and gives the Duty cycle as 1 min ON, 9min OFF.  Does this means that it would not be suitable for use as a drilling attachment drive motor?

The motor has 3 power leads Red, Black & White (common?) and an earth lead plus a smaller 3-way signal lead which I assume provides some sort of feedback information and can be ignored for the present application.

The attached label refers to a 3uF/450CVAC capacitor which I also assume is for starting purposes and is intended to be permanently connected in circuit.

If anybody can expand on the wiring requirements of this motor and/or pass on some useful tips on its application and some sort of indication of the suitability of the motor for its intended purpose I would be much obliged.

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

I suspect that the Duty Cycle could be substantially better when it’s only driving a little drill.

MichaelG.

P.S. __ as you presumably know, this is an incline motor assembly:

Ali lists it: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004503630177.html

… I’ve just found this useful-looking discussion:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/treadmill-incline-motor/

in which the final link is:

https://gearmotorblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/bodine-psc-switch-connections-01_06-05-20142.jpg

Different model, but I would guess the connections are pretty standard.

Grindstone Cowboy
        Participant
          @grindstonecowboy

Not that it helps, but a treadmill you used for 1 minute, then had a 9 minute rest period wouldn’t be very practical – would appeal to me though :). I suspect it’s actually for the tilt mechanism rather than the belt itself.

As far as its use for a drill attachment, at 1/15 HP it’s going to struggle with anything larger than about 1/8 inch, I would think.

Rob

bernard towers
          Participant
            @bernardtowers37738

1400 rpm not much use either, I use a 2800 rpm power shower motor on mine.

noel shelley
            Participant
              @noelshelley55608

DON’T BOTHER WITH IT, quite unsutable ! Noel.

Greensands
              Participant
                @greensands

Michael G – Yes, I am aware that this is an incline motor assembly but I am only interested in using the motor itself.  Presumably it is the application as an incline motor that warrants the somewhat restrictive duty cycle?

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133
                  On Greensands Said:

Michael G – Yes, I am aware that this is an incline motor assembly but I am only interested in using the motor itself.  Presumably it is the application as an incline motor that warrants the somewhat restrictive duty cycle?

That was my thinking, Yes

Whether it is up to the job will depend upon your definition of the job.

I see the naysayers are saying nay … but for small drills in undemanding materials, it might be quite adequate.

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

Just as a ‘benchmark’ my Bosch GSR portable drill will handle up to 10mm diameter … and, as you will see here, it’s a piddly little motor compared with yours:

https://www.boschtoolservice.com/gb/en/boschprof/spareparts/gsr-12v-15-fc-3601JF6000

… and, no, I don’t believe it’s wound with coils the size of coat-hanger wire, like racing slot-cars were !

MichaelG.

Greensands
                    Participant
                      @greensands

Choosing to ignore the naysayers (ignorance is bliss they say) I have gone ahead with adapting the treadmill incline motor assembly together and with some metal fabrication to make up a suitable cradle I now have a very effective motor for my cross slide drilling attachment. The torque appears to be perfectly adequate for my purposes and the unit is quite happy drilling (in stages) up to 0.25” diameter in aluminium which my previous motor, a mains powered Universal AC/DC type motor fitted with a speed control unit could certainly not manage. The new unit is also a lot quieter to run and has now been fitted with an integrally moulded poly drive belt made in China which should remove any anxiety of belt failures.  My overall conclusions are that if you are prepared to put in the work these incline motor assemblies provide a readily available and relatively cheap source of small and compact mains motor units.

Cross Slide Drill Attachment (1)Cross Slide Drill Attachment (2)

Robert Atkinson 2
                      Participant
                        @robertatkinson2

Well I’m surprised that the motor worked for the application.
                        It is only about 80W rated and intermittent at that. The speed is a little low too only half of optimum for the largest size you want to use.

What rating was the AC/DC motor you used before?

Robert.

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133

Nice job, Greensands

… thanks for sharing the joy of your success

MichaelG.

Grindstone Cowboy
                          Participant
                            @grindstonecowboy

Glad it worked, neat job!

Rob

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)