WM180 Replacement Cross Slide

WM180 Replacement Cross Slide

Home › Forums › Beginners questions › WM180 Replacement Cross Slide

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #398238
    Andy Carruthers
    Participant
      @andycarruthers33275

      I am considering replacing the Cross Slide on my WM180 in part to increase the lathe versatility but also to give myself a decent project

      I've read Neil's foray and taken note though I have lost the link to his post, also seen these:

      http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/cross-slide-extended-travel.html

      http://andysmachines.weebly.com/extended-cross-slide-travel.html

      My question is whether T slots or Dovetails would be best for securing the Compound and other accessories ie Ball Turner, Rear Cut-off tool

      #9551
      Andy Carruthers
      Participant
        @andycarruthers33275
        #398243
        SillyOldDuffer
        Moderator
          @sillyoldduffer

          I wouldn't bother with dovetails in this application because they're a lot of fuss for no obvious advantage. T-slots and easy to make T-nuts are fine for clamping accessories to a table. You don't need the sliding precision of dovetailed parts for mounting ball-turners etc. on a cross-slide.

          Simple is usually best. (But not too simple!)

          Dave

          #398245
          JasonB
          Moderator
            @jasonb

            Tee slots.

            Have you seen Ron's recent thread on the one he made for his mini-lathe?

            #398246
            Neil Wyatt
            Moderator
              @neilwyatt

              Voice of experience – I would use much smaller t-slots second time around.

              I matched the slots to my mill, but they are well oversize those on the SC4 are rather smaller and better proportioned – 10mm for M8 screws, I think.

              Neil

              #398264
              John Haine
              Participant
                @johnhaine32865

                Dovetails would be a right pain. Tee slots and nuts are much more versatile, you don't want to have to cut a dovetail when you have to mount a new accessory. I don't think I've ever seen a dovetail used on a machine table other than for the sliding surfaces. Actually, it would also be much weaker than a tee slot.

                #398300
                Andy Carruthers
                Participant
                  @andycarruthers33275

                  @Jason – I have just read Ron's thread, thanks for highlighting this

                  I appreciate the feedback, thanks to all, plenty to think on

                  #398665
                  Bernard Greatrix
                  Participant
                    @bernardgreatrix61453

                    Can someone give a link to "Ron's recent thread" – ditto "Neils Foray"

                    I also have a WM180 and would like to extend the cross feed travel. One of my sticking points is the left-hand thread. I haven't successfully managed it despite running in reverse with the lathe tool upside down.

                    regards

                    Bernard

                    #398667
                    JasonB
                    Moderator
                      @jasonb
                      #398670
                      Frances IoM
                      Participant
                        @francesiom58905

                        you can’t cut LH threads on a WM180 unless you can manage to squeeze an extra gear into the somewhat length restricted gear train. There is at least one description of adding a tumbler but the design of the WM180 was changed (cost reduced?) in later models and don’t think it will fit new models.

                        #398673
                        Bernard Greatrix
                        Participant
                          @bernardgreatrix61453

                          Again thanks Jason – I'll read them when I've a little more time. SWMBO wants some jobs done before it gets dark

                          Frances – The WM180 manual says that left hand threads are not possible. That is certainly true for an unmodified lathe.

                          However I reasoned that if I used a lathe tool upside down and ran the lathe in reverse I might succeed – I didn't by the way – all I got for my troubles was a metallic version of a bottle brush as it didn't cut at all cleanly.

                          I shall have to investigate making a new banjo arm to add an extra gear. Then I can cut a new cross-slide screw. Then I can mount a VMS and I can mill the item I set out to make in the first place.

                          regards

                          Bernard

                          #398677
                          Frances IoM
                          Participant
                            @francesiom58905

                            Bernard even trying to cut in reverse can’t give you a LH thread as you need to reverse the sense of the geared coupling between chuck and leadscrew

                            #398680
                            Bernard Greatrix
                            Participant
                              @bernardgreatrix61453

                              Yep – as I said I didn't succeed

                              #398686
                              Neil Lickfold
                              Participant
                                @neillickfold44316

                                When I made my Myford 0.5mm pitch cross scre wand nut, I just used the normal RH tap , and screwcut the thread with a traveling steady rest.

                                It does need to turn the opposite , I it is no biggie. You just have to remember which way is feed out.

                              Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

                              Latest Replies

                              Home › Forums › Beginners questions › Topics

                              Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
                              Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

                              View full reply list.