Stresses in machined crankshafts – Whittle V8

Advert

Stresses in machined crankshafts – Whittle V8

Home Forums I/C Engines Stresses in machined crankshafts – Whittle V8

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steve Withnell
    Participant
      @stevewithnell34426
      I managed to get a long way down the track in machining a crankshaft for the Whittle V8, before I broke it!

Anyway the point of the post is that before I scrapped it, the part rang like a tuning fork. The fact that it broke rather than bent when it hit the toolpost suggests a lot of stress going on (and that I’m a muppet…) The material is EN8.

I’m on with my second attempt at making the crank – should I consider any form of stress relief? I did think about annealing the material and then re-harden, but suspect that will put the stress back and cause other problems.

Regards

Steve
      Advert
      Steve Withnell
      Participant
        @stevewithnell34426
        Gray62
        Participant
          @gray62
          Hi Steve,
          I suffered a problem with my first crankshaft for the Whittle V8, although I bent mine rather than it breaking. I am making mine form EN16 which seems to machine a little more forgiving than EN8. That said, I have roughed it out and left it to ‘relieve’ for a while. I found that the main problem was finishing the centre bearing as having finished the other cranks, the resulting lack of rigidity caused the centre bearing to ‘bounce’ against the tool.
          I am now looking at a jig to finish all the bearing surfaces in the mill so that all of the crank si supported during the final finishing operations. I feel that machining in the lathe is doomed to problems.
          There are many threads regarding this issue, here is one,

Google Whittle V8 and you will find many threads on this subject, there is also a yahoo group for this engine build.
          PM me to collaborate on this, I amin Hampshire if you are local I would gladly meet up to discuss the build
          regards

Graeme
          David Clark 13
          Participant
            @davidclark13
            Hi There
            Model Engineer issue 4405 has the start of a series about building a doubled up version of the Whittle V8.
            On sale in about two weeks or so.
            regards David

Edited By David Clark 1 on 19/05/2011 20:23:33

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)