Hello – As a long time forum lurker here, but apparently a rare UK PD400 owner, I thought as my first post I would offer some thoughts on the PD400 given that there appears to be some confusion above:
The PD400 is an 85 mm centre height machine actually made by Proxxon in Germany i.e. not a rebadged import or a branding exercise. I recall reading that it was developed from the Japanese Toyo ML360 (the big brother to the ML210), which Proxxon had built under license as the PD360 before developing the PD400. At first glance it does indeed look oddly expensive when compared to Chinese machines, but not so expensive when compared to other European built machines (e.g. Myford/Wabeco/Emco when last available). Reflecting that, the (subjective) fit/finish/feel is notably better than any Chinese machine of a similar size that I have seen, whilst not quite being as good as Myford/Emco standards. Is “Made in Europe” worth the extra money? that depends what you want to do with it, how long you think you will use it, and what exactly it is you enjoy about the hobby – i.e. everyone will have their own individual answer 🙂
Some non-obvious things that I appreciate about the PD400 design compared to other similarly sized machines that I have seen:
- The two speed motor and three speed poly-v belt drive system of the PD400 gives quite impressive low speed torque compared to the typical variable speed drives on most other machines of the same size. Belt speed changing is a bit of a faff compared to variable speed, but I find in practice that the middle belt speed with hi/lo motor speed can be used for most of what I do, and I appreciate the availability of low speed torque when needed. (The motor is an electrically fully enclosed with external fan type i.e. splashback not strictly necessary).
- Whilst front mount chucks for the PD400 are harder to find, they are much more convenient to change than the rear mount chucks common on most modern small machines. (Strictly the Proxxon spindle fitting is to German standard DIN6350 i.e. not actually a Proxxon special, but still not so easy to find in the UK. TOS and Bison make chucks that fit, but they are not economical as they once were. However, the dimensions are such that it is possible to fit Chinese standard front mount chucks with a little ingenuity).
- Graduated handwheels on both the leadscrew and saddle handle make turning to accurate lengths easy. Surprisingly often neither seem to be fitted as standard on other machines, although a leadscrew handle is normally easy to add. The leadscrew clutch that allows the leadscrew to turn without turning the change gears makes using the leadscrew manually to set precise lengths much easier. A tumbler reverse would be nice, but in practice I doubt I would use reverse feed very often and the machine can cut LH threads if needed.
To make a potentially controversial statement, I am pretty sure that for the kind of work I do the ~50kg PD400 can remove metal on average faster than the ~85kg Myford ML7 that I had access to in the past (old, but reasonable condition). This is the case even for ~100 mm steel diameters (the largest I normally use), for which you would expect the heavier Myford to have a clear advantage. Having never seen an HBM180 I cannot compare to that, but I make the point simply to illustrate that more cast iron does not always translate to a more rigid machine.
I bought the PD400 because I had an enjoyable experience with a Unimat-3-in-a-cupboard set up during lockdown, when I did not have access to the ML7. The PD400 seemed like a good way of replicating that on a slightly larger scale in a small upstairs spare room. Like all machines it has its oddities, and if I had more space I would have gone for a larger Chinese or second hand machine, but for my use and with my constraints I find that the PD400 works well for its size and is enjoyable to use.
(It may be worth searching on more European forums with the aid of google translate (if needed) for further opinions, as I think the PD400 is more common there, particularly in Germany).