.225 dia x 40 tpi die

.225 dia x 40 tpi die

Home › Forums › General Questions › .225 dia x 40 tpi die

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #276435
    Michael Gilligan
    Participant
      @michaelgilligan61133

      If I might be forgiven for last night's stupidity … Here's an another hypothesis:

      Perhaps Parker Hale chose to use [almost] the full 'fundamental triangle' of a Whitworth thread-form; so as to give longer flanks to a thread which needs a precision fit.

      As illustrated here [borrowed from Wikipedia];

      img_0788.jpg

      the Whitworth truncation of the fundamental triangle is H/6 which, for 40tpi I calculate to be roughly 4 thou.

      [someone please check this figure]

      That would make a 'fully extended' version of the 7/32 40tpi thread

      0.21875 + 0.008 = 0.22675 inches, outside diameter.

      … a tiny rounding of the crest then takes us down to 0.225"

      _______

      As I have never examined the thread-form on a Parker Hale component; this is mere speculation … but I think it would merit investigation.

      MichaelG.

      .

      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

      Edited By Michael Gilligan on 08/01/2017 09:33:41

    Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
    • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

    Latest Replies

    Home › Forums › General Questions › Topics

    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

    View full reply list.