Electrical Connector Required – Suggestions on Anything Suitable

Advert

Electrical Connector Required – Suggestions on Anything Suitable

Home Forums Electronics in the Workshop Electrical Connector Required – Suggestions on Anything Suitable

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Andy_H
    Participant
      @andy_h

I hope this question doesn’t come across as too vague….

I looking for a two-part in-line electrical connector to the following specification:

– Mains rated (3A is sufficient).

– Preferably 3-pin (although 2-opin might do at a push).

– Fairly small (e.g. ideally smaller that the sort of thing you get on a lawnmower lead).

– A female part that can be secured to a fixed metal bracket.

– A male part that not fixed.

I’ve spent a few hours searching google and ebay without success so just asking the question in case it’s a case of “ah, you want one of these”!

Andy

Advert
      JasonB
        @jasonb

C14 like you get on a computer power lead any good?

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133

Some of the Schurter range might suit :

https://docs.rs-online.com/8c7d/A700000008623039.pdf

MichaelG.

That one is only rated at 2.5A but seems to be close to what you want.

Bazyle
          Participant
            @bazyle

Search Bulgin generally but this is the modern version of the one I have been using on my RC TX for 50 years.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/compact-power-connectors/0449269?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A

MFR part No SA2403 RS part 449-269

Nicholas Farr
            Participant
              @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, you could go with JasonB’s suggestion of the C14 coupled with a C13.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aofan-Female-Rewireable-Adapter-Connector/dp/B07XPW58VL

Others will probably sell the same.

Regards Nick.

Andy_H
              Participant
                @andy_h
                On Nicholas Farr Said:

Hi, you could go with JasonB’s suggestion of the C14 coupled with a C13.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aofan-Female-Rewireable-Adapter-Connector/dp/B07XPW58VL

Others will probably sell the same.

Regards Nick.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I realise I missed a bit from my spec in that for the ” A female part that can be secured to a fixed metal bracket” I’m looking for a fully insulated surface mount rather than panel mount device.

This suggestion here is a bit bigger than I was hoping to find but looks like a workable solution as I can use the hole through the assembly (intended for securing the top and bottom sections) to secure it to my mounting bracket.

Andy

SillyOldDuffer
                  @sillyoldduffer

I always think of Bulgin for this sort of job, but I don’t think they do a surface mount.  Not many do.

Might be possible to adapt a free socket by drilling through the back of the socket so a pair of long bolts clamp the socket together safely and also bolt it to the surface.   Photo is a 250Vac 3A Bulgin PX0430/SE sold by RS, Farnell & CPC etc.    Matching plugs available.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hmkAAOSwwKdkDzqr/s-l1600.jpg

Drilling through to a secure to a flat surface might be possible with other free female sockets such as the C14 ‘kettle’ type.  The geometry and internals decide what’s possible, for example the Bulgin back has two securing screws, which would prevent twisting, whereas a C14 has only one, and the back probably won’t be flat!

Flat surface mounting sockets are unusual in my limited experience; instead panel mounting sockets are fitted to a box, and then the box is bolted to the surface.  Might be a safety earth requirement, dunno.

Dave

Michael Gilligan
                  Participant
                    @michaelgilligan61133

I’m not entirely convinced by this one, Andy … but am I headed in the right direction now ?

https://www.toolstation.com/greenbrook-lighting-connector/p79534

MichaelG.

Mmm … it’s bigger than it first appeared 🙁

Andy_H
                    Participant
                      @andy_h
                      On Michael Gilligan Said:

I’m not entirely convinced by this one, Andy … but am I headed in the right direction now ?

https://www.toolstation.com/greenbrook-lighting-connector/p79534

MichaelG.

Mmm … it’s bigger than it first appeared 🙁

Yes, that’s exactly the sort of thing I had in mind and did come across these in my searching….. But then noticed, as was put off by the size. Due to the fact they are 20A I guess

peak4
                      Participant
                        @peak4

Switch Electronics seem to do all sorts of stuff from triangular ones to these, but I’m not sure of physical size
                        Some waterproof ones too

Female MR30 3 Pin Gold Plated Connector with Cap 15A Amass

peak4
                        Participant
                          @peak4

There’s also this type of thing used in office desk power distribution.

https://www.office-furniture-direct.co.uk/3m-connector-cable?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84CvBhCaARIsAMkAvkJobZOEd5SSbf2PlKLlVFiVeL09RyEb031QXiPOYF_gBjtwneb5RjgaAm28EALw_wcB

Maybe have a look at the smaller connectors used for daisy chaining small strip lights too

Les Jones 1
                          Participant
                            @lesjones1

Here is a link to a range of connectors that may meet your requirements.
                            https://cpc.farnell.com/mbs-connect/sp1310-p3iic/circular-plug-3-pole-5-8mm-ip68/dp/CN21308 
                            scroll down the page to see matching connectors in the range.

Les.

Andy_H
                            Participant
                              @andy_h
                              On peak4 Said:

There’s also this type of thing used in office desk power distribution.

https://www.office-furniture-direct.co.uk/3m-connector-cable?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84CvBhCaARIsAMkAvkJobZOEd5SSbf2PlKLlVFiVeL09RyEb031QXiPOYF_gBjtwneb5RjgaAm28EALw_wcB

Maybe have a look at the smaller connectors used for daisy chaining small strip lights too

Thank you. That’s a good idea and I see Switch Electronics stock just the connectors

https://www.switchelectronics.co.uk/products/3-pole-male-and-female-locking-lighting-connector-16a

Looks like this, with a small bit of work to mount the “fixed part” is strong contender

Andy

john fletcher 1
                              Participant
                                @johnfletcher1

Have a look in RS Components, CPC or Farnell catalogues all three are on line and are illustrated. What about dropping in to your local electrical wholesalers, also Screwfix and Toolstation.

Robert Atkinson 2
                                Participant
                                  @robertatkinson2
                                  On peak4 Said:

Switch Electronics seem to do all sorts of stuff from triangular ones to these, but I’m not sure of physical size
                                  Some waterproof ones too

Female MR30 3 Pin Gold Plated Connector with Cap 15A Amass

NO! These are not suitable for mains and are potentially lethal.

Robert Atkinson 2
                                  Participant
                                    @robertatkinson2
                                    On Les Jones 1 Said:

Here is a link to a range of connectors that may meet your requirements.
                                    https://cpc.farnell.com/mbs-connect/sp1310-p3iic/circular-plug-3-pole-5-8mm-ip68/dp/CN21308 
                                    scroll down the page to see matching connectors in the range.

Les.

These connectors, while rated at 250V and 13A are not suitable for use as an mains connector in most applications. This is because the protective earth contact does not make first and break last. It is not approved as a appliance connector.

Robert.

Ian P
                                    Participant
                                      @ianp
                                      On Andy_H Said:

I hope this question doesn’t come across as too vague….

I looking for a two-part in-line electrical connector to the following specification:

– Mains rated (3A is sufficient).

– Preferably 3-pin (although 2-opin might do at a push).

– Fairly small (e.g. ideally smaller that the sort of thing you get on a lawnmower lead).

– A female part that can be secured to a fixed metal bracket.

– A male part that not fixed.

I’ve spent a few hours searching google and ebay without success so just asking the question in case it’s a case of “ah, you want one of these”!

Andy

Your requirement does come across slightly vague but also a bit contradictory.

A female part that can be fixed to a metal bracket could be a chassis or panel mounted socket but that conflicts with your ‘in-line’ connector as that usually refers to cable mounted male and female conns.

If the female is mounted on a bracket (or a panel) and is outputting mains voltage to external equipment then fusing and other factors have to be taken into account. Small, 3 pole mains voltage rated, connectors are thin on the ground and I would think that any that exist are moulded have the cable moulded to them.

The nearest I can suggest are the IEC C7 and C8 shown in the pictures. The female on the left looks a good candidate for being ‘clamp-able’ to a panel or bracket, but if it ts on a bracket external to your enclosure then somehow the cable has to get inside, so it would not exactly be a pretty arrangement.

Ian P

Clipboard011Clipboard0111

Anthony Kendall
                                      Participant
                                        @anthonykendall53479

Andy, you have not said if you need the connector to be waterproof, which ought to be a first consideration.

I have used these for waterproof situations and have been pleased with the result. They are a little more complicated to assemble but work really well. So recommended by me.
                                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125917075609?var=426868006747

Ian P
                                        Participant
                                          @ianp
                                          On Anthony Kendall Said:

Andy, you have not said if you need the connector to be waterproof, which ought to be a first consideration.

I have used these for waterproof situations and have been pleased with the result. They are a little more complicated to assemble but work really well. So recommended by me.

Those are low voltage only.

NOT for Mains voltage (Which is what the OP wanted connectors for)

Ian P

noel shelley
                                          Participant
                                            @noelshelley55608

What about the old though I believe still available 3amp 3 pin mains plug/ socket ? Just a thought ! Noel.

Perko7
                                            Participant
                                              @perko7

Have you considered Anderson connectors as often used in 12V/24V DC connections for RV’s.

They are 600V DC rated and come in a range of current capacities. Not sure about 240V AC rating but a call to a UK distributor could verify that.

Link to an Australian distributor for info:  https://www.jaycar.com.au/anderson-50a-power-connector-8-gauge-contacts/p/PT4425

Hope this helps.

Robert Atkinson 2
                                              Participant
                                                @robertatkinson2
                                                On Perko7 Said:

Have you considered Anderson connectors as often used in 12V/24V DC connections for RV’s.

They are 600V DC rated and come in a range of current capacities. Not sure about 240V AC rating but a call to a UK distributor could verify that.

Link to an Australian distributor for info:  https://www.jaycar.com.au/anderson-50a-power-connector-8-gauge-contacts/p/PT4425

Hope this helps.

Again NO These are NOT suitable for mains use.

There is more to a mains connector than a voltage rating. Assuming it is not enclosed in a cabinet or simlar that needs a tool to open it and not solely feeding double insulated equipment a mains connector MUST have ALL the following:

Adequate AC voltage rating.
                                                Adequate Current rating.
                                                Protective (earth) Conductor contacts that positively makes first and breaks last when mating.
                                                Touch proof phase and neutral contacts (on supply side at least)
                                                Adequate cable strain relief.
                                                Appropriate environmental rating e.g. waterproof.
                                                Appropriate approval(s)

And to make this not completly negative, the OP could consider the Neutrix PowerCon range.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/products/audio/powercon

The XX or True1 sub-ranges may be most suitable.

Anthony Kendall
                                                Participant
                                                  @anthonykendall53479
                                                  On Anthony Kendall Said:

Those are low voltage only.

NOT for Mains voltage (Which is what the OP wanted connectors for)

Ian P

Yes, you’re correct – I bought them for low voltage.
                                                  SORRY for this.
                                                  Still no indication as to the environment though.

Ian P
                                                  Participant
                                                    @ianp

Anthony

No need to apologise to me at all, anyway you are not the first in this thread to suggest non-mains rated connectors.

Its not surprising that there are off-beat replies as the OP himself said that his request was vague.

Ian P

Andy_H
                                                    Participant
                                                      @andy_h

Thanks for all the replies.

No, being waterproof is not a requirement here.

On the point of being vague… OK I’ve done it again – an attempt to provide a nice concise question hasn’t worked.

A bit more background.  This is for my mini lathe (Flexispeed Mk 2).  I have mounted it on a bespoke made wooden cabinet.  I have also fitted a new DC brushless motor (~200V) with variable speed control.  The speed control unit is housed within a segregated part of the cabinet base.  The motor is mounted on an angle bracket behind the lathe.  The motor cable is routed through the top of the cabinet (via a compression gland) to the speed control unit below.  That’s all fine and working. But, it would be convenient (albeit rarely) to be able to remove the motor without having it still tethered by the cable through the cabinet.  Hence the idea of an in-line connector.  The cable coming through the cabinet terminating on a female connector mounted on a suitable bracket adjacent to the motor. A male connector attached to the “free” lead from the motor.

At present my favoured solution is the one mentioned in post-717106 (! March)

Andy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)