Trebuchet – Something a bit different.

Advert

Trebuchet – Something a bit different.

Home Forums Work In Progress and completed items Trebuchet – Something a bit different.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Phil Boyland
    Participant
      @philboyland37326

Trebuchet of my own design so no idea what scale it would be, but the beam is 11” to give you an idea of size and the bucket is full of 6mm ball bearings. All done on the lathe. Managed to fire my preferred ammo of walnuts 18’ which I was quite pleased with.IMG_3826IMG_3825IMG_3827IMG_3828IMG_3830IMG_3831

Advert
      Grindstone Cowboy
      Participant
        @grindstonecowboy

Nice!

Rob

duncan webster 1
        Participant
          @duncanwebster1

Now that would make a great article for ME. Make a change from travelogues

Brian Baker 2
          Participant
            @brianbaker2

Very interesting, I made one smaller, from wood, and it worked well.   There was a programme on the “Box” a while ago a them, and the builder had a full sized one which he used to thro a piano about 200 yards, made a fantastic show, but he said he was running out of ammunition.  When used for real, they often fired a dead horse or cow on the enemy, perhaps an early form of biological warfare.

One point, however, I think that the device should be fitted with 4 wheel to absorb the recoil, I think there are a few videos on YouTube.

Well done and Regards

Brian B

Bo’sun
            Participant
              @bosun58570

Excellent work Phil, what more to say?

A great kit project, if some enterprising person fancied taking it on.

Mick B1
              Participant
                @mickb1
                On Brian Baker 2 Said:

One point, however, I think that the device should be fitted with 4 wheel to absorb the recoil, I think there are a few videos on YouTube.

Well done and Regards

Brian

Yes, a video I saw showed a huge difference when the base was put on wheels – seemed to turn it almost into a living thing, flinging like a javelin thrower or fast bowler.

Phil Boyland
                Participant
                  @philboyland37326

Hmm, interesting. I did consider wheels but it was taking so long to complete, I just wanted it finished. Would be an easy upgrade to do so a future project maybe. It is actually on soft rubber feet so there is some recoil mitigation going on.

Nigel Graham 2
                  Participant
                    @nigelgraham2

Fine work on a very unusual project!

Sledgehammers to crack nuts? Oh, the Romans went one better!

Rod Renshaw
                    Participant
                      @rodrenshaw28584

Nice model. I remember the TV programme about the large trebuchet that threw pianos. It was “engineered” out of angle steel etc. rather than being mostly made of wood as I understand the medieval ones were.

The trebuchet was impressively large and the pianos flew high into the air before coming down with some speed. I remember the owner explaining that he only got one shot from each piano, because they shattered into many small pieces on impact.

Rod

John Dilsaver
                      Participant
                        @johndilsaver77816

Hi Phil, love the trebuchet.

I went through my trebuchet phase a number of years ago, I’m going to try to post a link to a bit of video.  Lots of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9k0nAyq93Y

I hope the link works, video quality isn’t very good. There are lots of larger machines and longer throws by others, I know.

The contest environment provided motivation ($$) and a deadline.  Each year we discussed (argued about) our design until about 10 days before the contest, then figured we’d better start building something if we actually planned to compete.  We finished building the day before the contest each year. I wish I still had that energy level now.  Enjoy.

Thanks,

John D

Sparta, MO, USA

ChrisLH
                        Participant
                          @chrislh

John D

Great fun (unless you get in the way). Most of these trebuchets have an extra articulation at the end of the main arm, like a wrist. In some cases it just thrashes the missile onto the ground and in others enhances the range. It’s a bit like those ball throwers that dog walkers have or the aborigine spear throwers. It obviously works but quite why is not obvious (to me at least). There are some features to get right like perhaps limiting the articulation angle or relative arm lengths. Any theories as to why it works circulating amongst the contestants ?

As far as throwing a missile is concerned, adding wheels would seem to be counterproductive. It’s putting some of the available energy into sending the frame backwards instead of using it all to send the missile forwards. Wheels may be useful for other reasons though.

Kiwi Bloke
                          Participant
                            @kiwibloke62605

Hurling dead livestock and pianos around sounds like some sort of fun (perhaps?), but not as much as making anvils fly with black powder…

Michael Gilligan
                            Participant
                              @michaelgilligan61133
                              On John Dilsaver Said:

… Enjoy.

I did enjoy the video, thanks !

… and perhaps more importantly, it looks like everyone there enjoyed the event.

MichaelG.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)