Round Drive Belts

Advert

Round Drive Belts

Home Forums The Tea Room Round Drive Belts

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

I’m not in need of any at the moment but I found the large difference in price interesting. The Red material is not only about five times the price, you also need a connector that costs another couple of pounds. The Green material is simply melted together. Anyone have any experience of either/both types?
      IMG_0492IMG_0491

Advert
      Michael Gilligan
      Participant
        @michaelgilligan61133

The green belting [solid, with a textured surface] is superb … almost indistinguishable from the pricey Swiss original.

The red stuff is tubular, has those push-in connectors, and is best used for emergency get-you-home repairs.

No contest, in my opinion.

MichaelG.

Vic
        Participant
          @vic

Thanks for the insight Michael, most helpful. 😉

Hollowpoint
          Participant
            @hollowpoint

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I use it often. Beware, the Chinese made stuff isn’t great, mainly due to the inconsistencies in manufacture.</p>
            The German (Beha) and Swiss (Polycord) made belting is superior.

Ian Parkin
            Participant
              @ianparkin39383

I do use a lot of the green and find the Swiss brand lasts much longer…..but thats on machines feeding card stock 24/7

Michael Gilligan
              Participant
                @michaelgilligan61133

Fair comments, chaps … I’ve never used the Green Chinese material for anything heavy-duty.

Can’t remember how long ago it was I bought a Swiss one, from Tenga Engineering, for the BCA … but it was ‘reassuringly expensive’ and hasn’t shown any sign of wear or fatigue; so you are presumably correct.

The smaller diameters of Chinese material have only been used for ‘watchmaker-size’  drives, but have proved adequate in that limited context.

Probably all very light-duty compared with what Ian does though !

MichaelG.

Clive Brown 1
                Participant
                  @clivebrown1

I have a red tubular belt on my Quorn. Probably now 20+ years old with no problems, although obviously not heavily used. The “heat to join” belt that I fitted originally eventually became stiff and brittle but still lasted years. It was white translucent though,not the green stuff.

I also have the red material on my GHT Sensitive Drill. Here the longer run, coupled with the noticeable elasticity tends to allow whipping of the longer run, but not so much that I’ve sought to alter it.

bernard towers
                  Participant
                    @bernardtowers37738

Green stuff on my Stent and GHT pillar tool both been on there a number of years so yes very good and quiet.

Howard Lewis
                    Participant
                      @howardlewis46836

FWIW, we used to use the red tubular type, with the alloy connectors, during engine test, so it can’t be that bad!

But it was industrial quality!

Howard

Nicholas Farr
                      Participant
                        @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, you used to be able to get that red tubular type with a joiner, from the likes of Halfords. Keep it in the car, as it was for an emergency fan/dynamo belt. I did have to use one once when miles away from home, and everywhere was closed, but luckily it was still daylight, but of course you had to have a knife or something, to cut it to the right length.

Regards Nick.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)