Forum and now MEW Going downhill pointless article in MEW 335

Advert

Forum and now MEW Going downhill pointless article in MEW 335

Home Forums Model Engineers’ Workshop. Forum and now MEW Going downhill pointless article in MEW 335

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Farr
    Participant
      @nicholasfarr14254

Hi, I’ve never had any experience with casting or pattern making, but I did have to repair quite a number of pairs of mould boxes for a well know bearing company, each of the pairs were about 16″ x 20″ and 9″ deep, these were for casting their cast iron housings. Most of them had the pin hole blocks worn, where the hardened bushes for the alignment pins fitted into, which had to be cut off and new ones made and welded back in place, as you may understand, these had to be aligned very accurately after they were welded in and cooled down, so each of the pairs of the boxes were straitened up, and splits etc. welded up first, and then the blocks were cut off, but the new blocks were a little thicker, so that had to be taken into account, which actually made cutting the old ones off easier.

2017-07-14 09.50.32

2017-07-14 09.57.12

However, a little bit of tweaking could be done to the box, to get their partners pins to slide in nice and smoothly, the pins being 6″ x 3/4″. Luckily, I only had them in at about five pairs at a time.

IMG_20240105_134155

Photo above shows a block with a worn bush hole, a worn bush and a pin with the thread that holds it in place, busted off, and this pin was also worn below tolerance, and many others were also below tolerance and some were even slightly bent as well.

Regards Nick.

Advert
      Howard Lewis
      Participant
        @howardlewis46836

Not being a model maker, am not a ME subscriber.

Subscribe to MEW, and have articles published occasionally.

(The fees are rotated between three charities, who need the payments more than I do)

I use a lot of photos, because one photo can ilustrate, or reinforce, a point far better than a lot of words.

In the past, trying work purely from text, struggled, and then realised that I had misunderstood the text and was holding the work incorrectly.

Howard

Viewing 2 posts - 76 through 77 (of 77 total)