Tangential tooling, from first principles

Advert

Tangential tooling, from first principles

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling Tangential tooling, from first principles

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Vic
    Participant
      @vic

One other advantage is that it uses small pieces off HSS that might otherwise go in the scrap bin. I had just a couple of small pieces of 1/4” square HSS as starting stock for mine and I’ve still not run out.

Advert
      SillyOldDuffer
        @sillyoldduffer
        On Martin of Wick Said:

The TT is not a universal panacea, just a very useful go to cutter in the dilettante’s workshop. One of the best returns on time and effort to make I have experienced.

Never seen a negative comment about tangential cutters, which strongly suggests they do what it says on the tin!  Simple to sharpen and straight-forward to use.

I keep meaning to order one, because neither of my current cutter regimes are totally satisfactory:

• conventional HSS knives have to be resharpened, a fussy time-waster.   Like Martin, my grinding results are multi-faceted, making grinding HSS much, much more painful that people who are good at grinding seem able to comprehend!
        • Carbide inserts are instant reset with no sharpening required but they don’t always perform well on my relatively low rpm not particulary rigid hobby lathe.   Though they work more than well-enough most of the time inserts aren’t a 100% substitute for HSS in my workshop.

Must get round to buying one.   The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak.  Due to other distractions, I’ve yet to cough up!

Dave

Howard Lewis
        Participant
          @howardlewis46836

MANY users of TTs swear by them.

They work best, as would any tool, with minimum overhang, to maximise stiffness.

I’ve made several to take 1/8″ toolbits, at least two for 5/16″ toolbits, and regularly use the Eccentric Engineering “Diamond” tool.

Reground in a very time, and give good results on almost every material tahat I use (Known or unknown)-
          I don’t worry too much about the value of top rake or clearance angles, just am happy that the tool does the job, whether turning or facing. (Any more than I worry about the exact combustion processes in the cylinders of my car engine)

To the untried doubters, “If you haven’t tried it; don’t knock it”  The TT works for a lot of people, rely on their experience.  TTs have been around for a very long time.

Howard

MikeK
          Participant
            @mikek40713

One needn’t have any additional overhang at all, by making a toolholder just for the bit…instead of a toolholder to fit inside another toolholder.

https://gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html#Tangent

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)