slitting saw woes

Advert

slitting saw woes

Home Forums Workshop Tools and Tooling slitting saw woes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    wheeltapper
    Participant
      @wheeltapper
      Hi
      I recently bought a slitting saw from company A with a spring loaded arbor.
      on setting it up in my mill ( in a collet chuck ) I found that it ran off centre and only one or two teeth were cutting, the rest were just along for the ride.

at first I suspected the arbor so I made my own, turning it in a collet and making the diameter a snug push fit for the saw.

same result, chonk..chonk..chonk.

so I bought a saw from company B.

same result  chonk..chonk..

question, are all slitting saws crap or does someone out there sell decent ones

cheers
      Roy
      Advert
      wheeltapper
      Participant
        @wheeltapper
        David Clark 13
        Participant
          @davidclark13
          Hi There
          Try buying a recognised brand such as clarkson or dormer from Ebay.
          They should be fine.
          regards david

wheeltapper
          Participant
            @wheeltapper
            Hi
            nice idea but they seem to be as rare as hens teeth

cheers
            Roy
            Steve White
            Participant
              @stevewhite78094
              Hi Roy, if it’s any consolation, my milling cutters and slitting saws all do that on my Tom Senior horizontal mill. I thought it was the arbour so i made another one myself and had it running so true  could hardly measure the run out  -same result as you, chonk chonk! I hoped that every time I put a cutter on the arbour, it would be in a different position so any wear would even it self out…..hmmm, not sure.
              Even so, it’s a bit frustrating having all those teeth and only a few doing anything useful.
              Incidentally, all my cutters are good quality but some are possibly resharpened as they are second hand…….
              Best of luck
              Steve
              Jim Whetren
              Participant
                @jimwhetren72358
                When I had the chonk..chonk.. problem with a 4″ saw I was using to cut con rod strips from a piece of 3/8″ plate, I used a Tinker jig to take a lick off the tip of each tooth.
                This resulted in a satisfying zzzzzzzz.. when I used it again.
                Whatever method is chooen to give the teeth a ‘touch up’, the important thing is to have the close running mounting boss stationary and rotate the blade around this using a piece of spring steel to index each tooth.
                That way the teeth must be concentric with the bore.

I hope this helps
                Jim
                wheeltapper
                Participant
                  @wheeltapper
                  Hi guys
                  thanks for the replies.

I was beginning to think it was me, being a newbie to this game, but;

I just fitted a dial gauge to the milling machine bed and checked various things, total runout on the spindle is half a thou, its a chester conquest mill so I wasn’t expecting miracles.
                  fitting the collet chuck and clocking the outside gave me half a thou so the chuck is OK.

fitting my home made saw arbor and checking that gave me 1 thou total runout.

fitting the saw , placing a feeler gauge tween tips and gauge and running veeeery slowly gave me a staggering 22 thou runout.

so its not me.

Jim,
                  thanks for the tip, I am making Harold Halls grinding rest at the moment so when that’s finished I’ll have a go.

I can’t make them any worse can I

cheers
                  Roy
                  Steve White
                  Participant
                    @stevewhite78094
                    Some good advice here, thanks Jim.
                    Roy, can you point me in the right direction for the grinding rest details please, is it an article in ME?  I think I’ll have a go at it as well.
                    I’ve been at this game a few years, but not being a professional, I thought it was me also – I still do! I suppose it’s best not to make assumptions.
                    Many thanks
                    Steve
                    wheeltapper
                    Participant
                      @wheeltapper
                      HI Steve
                      the rest I’m making appeared in Model Engineers Workshop issue 109.

there is a slightly more complicated one, again by Harold, in MEW issue 89 but I’m not into complicated yet

can I post piccies on this forum?
                      I’ve got a photobucket account I use on other forums so I could show how I’m doing.

cheers
                      Roy
                      David Clark 13
                      Participant
                        @davidclark13
                        HiThere
                        Harold Hall’s tool rests have both been published in his books.
                        One was in his tool and cutter grinding book, and I think the other may have been in his complete milling book.
                        regards David

wheeltapper
                        Participant
                          @wheeltapper
                          Hi
                          I just discovered I can have a photo album so I’ve put on some pics of my grinding rest .

I’m quite pleased with it for my first serious project.

cheers
                          the chuffed side of Roy
                          John Wood1
                          Participant
                            @johnwood1
                            Steve, Harold Hall’s grinding rest is fully described in ‘Tool & Cutter Sharpening’ book which is number 38 in the Workshop Practice Series, many adverts available as well as http://www.specialinterestmodelbooks.co.uk

I have built this recently but find it perhaps a bit too comprehensive in that in an attempt to provide a table/rest to grind just about everything it makes it quite fiddly and laborious to use in some instances.  I normally wish to gring lathe tools quickly but it takes me all evening to do one.

Having now seen the grinding rest in the Myford Series 7 manual, the table of which extends both sides of the wheel, allowing tool grinding to be done very quickly and at the correct angles I reckon this would best suit my purposes.

Regards
                            John
                            Bizibilder
                            Participant
                              @bizibilder
                              Hi
                              I’m a bit late here as Jim Whetren has given the answer – sharpen in a jig on its own arbour or life is just clonk…clonk…clonk
                              Bizibilder
                              wheeltapper
                              Participant
                                @wheeltapper
                                Can anyone tell me where I can get a 6″ saucer wheel so I can grind it properly.

cheers
                                Roy
                                Jim Whetren
                                Participant
                                  @jimwhetren72358
                                  Hello Roy,

To sharpen saws on the Worden I used a diamond wheel from Arc Euro Trade.

D4BT9 15 Deg. Taper Page 22 of the catalogue.

This gave excellent results with such items requiring a fine edge to the grinding wheel, gashing end mills for instance.

Regards,
                                  Jim
                                  Ian S C
                                  Participant
                                    @iansc

Spose’you could put the mandrill in the 4 jaw and center it,but then again t might not be round anyway.Ian s c

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)