8F 2-8-0 tender axleboxes

8F 2-8-0 tender axleboxes

Home › Forums › Locomotives › 8F 2-8-0 tender axleboxes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #760966
    Bob Worsley
    Participant
      @bobworsley31976

      Many years ago I bought a selection of odd castings from ebay, with no clues as to what they were off.

      Quite by accident I found an ME, 1982, and thumbing through it I recognised the axlebox style as used on the 3.1/2″ 8F 2-8-0 Euston then being serialised. The castings I have are larger, but scaling them from the 3.1//2″ drawing to 5″ they match exactly.

      The question is, then, who did a castings set for a 5″ 8F loco, probably back in the 40’s, 50’s, 60’s. Looking in the only suppliers now existing, Reeves and Blackgates, they don’t do a 5″ 8F.

      I have other castings from the same source, some are 3.1/2″, some 5″, no idea if from the 8F or other locos.

      The axleboxes could be from similar era LMS locos, Royal Scott, Black 5 etc that used the same 6 wheel tender. Other castings are driving axles horn angles, but ony 6 of them meaning possibly a 6 coupled engine?

      It is incredably hard to work back from a casting to a loco, should imagine tipping over the shelving holding dozens of engines would mean a real disaster!

      Thanks.

      P1010013

    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • Please log in to reply to this topic. Registering is free and easy using the links on the menu at the top of this page.

    Latest Replies

    Home › Forums › Locomotives › Topics

    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
    Viewing 25 topics - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

    View full reply list.