Proxxon CNC Mill

Advert

Proxxon CNC Mill

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    David-Clark 1
    Participant
      @david-clark1

Proxxon MF 570 CNC conversion.

Advert
      David-Clark 1
      Participant
        @david-clark1

I have just purchased a CNC Proxxon mill conversion on ebay.

I know many people will laugh but it will do what I want in brass, plastic and maybe aluminium.

Yes, it will take some time to chew out blocks of metal but I mainly want it to do sheet metal components mostly.

I see Graham Meek added an ER11 collet system to his larger Proxxon but cannot find the thread he mentions. OAs he does not have a public profile on here I can’t message him.n

I would like to do the ER11 spindle modification on my mill later on although it is probably OK as is for now.

The mill has an Aurdino interface but not software.

I am thinking Mach 3 as I have used it before, about 20 years ago but wondering what the best software would be for me to use that does not cost me an arm (I have no legs) so I can’t throw in an arm and a leg.

Also, the same goes for the CAD Software. I have Turbo Cad 17 Pro but also have Turbo Cad 16 and the matchingCAD software.

I will probably want to use the CAD for 3D printing as well which again I have not done for 20 years or so.

John Haine
        Participant
          @johnhaine32865

David, congratulations on the new machine. When you say Arduino interface, what do you mean exactly? To the best of my knowledge there is no Arduino based controller that is compatible with Mach3, Arduino cnc is usually based on grbl or a derivative and there are a number of "g code streamers" that can be used with them. One mentioned here recently is I think Openbuilds Controller.

https://software.openbuilds.com/

https://software.openbuilds.com/

Edited By John Haine on 28/08/2023 22:25:14

Baz
          Participant
            @baz89810

Congratulations on your purchase David, you should get a lot of pleasure from it. I have a Taig Micromill CNC and it has given me many hours of pleasure and made many hundreds of components. Nothing wrong with Mach3, a lot of people will tell you it is now unsupported but so what it works, the XP computer I run it on is also unsupported, I have never had any issues with either. For cad software including cam I suppose the best is Fusion 360 as it is free, never used it myself but lots on here use it.

SillyOldDuffer
              @sillyoldduffer
              Posted by David-Clark 1 on 28/08/2023 21:50:31:

I have just purchased a CNC Proxxon mill conversion on ebay.

The mill has an Aurdino interface but not software.

I am thinking Mach 3 as I have used it before, about 20 years ago but wondering what the best software would be for me to use that does not cost me an arm (I have no legs) so I can’t throw in an arm and a leg.

Also, the same goes for the CAD Software. I have Turbo Cad 17 Pro but also have Turbo Cad 16 and the matchingCAD software.

The usual Arduino CNC program is GRBL, which is a free download. Various ways of installing it, you might try searching 'Arduino GRBL' , which will find various sites and tutorials like All3DP.

In outline, a controller board powers the mill's motors, and the controller is told what to do by an Arduino running GRBL. GRBL is fed a list of G-Gode commands that move the axes as necessary to make the cuts needed to produce an object. G-code can be handwritten, but it's more usual to model objects in 3D-CAD and then use CAD to generate the G-CODE.

The process is similar for 3D-printing, except the commands makes a 3D object by adding layers of plastic, concrete or metal, whilst a mill or lathe subtracts metal to create 3D objects. CAD software usually supports both methods. Not tried CNC, but basic 3D-printing is rather easy, almost plug and play.

I watched a Youtube video a few months ago where a chap who knows his stuff enthused about the Proxxon Mill. I suspect they have an undeservedly poor reputation because people expect too much of them.

Dave

Huub
              Participant
                @huub

Congratulations whith you new milling machine. I hope it will bring you a lot of fun.

I use grbl on my lathes (Arduino Uno and Arduino Mega board) and FluidNC (MKS TinyBee ESP32board) on my mill. It works flawlessly.

On the mill I use UGS to stream the Gcodes to the controller.

For CAD/CAM for the mill and 3D printer I use (freeware) FreeCad. It takes a lot of evenings to get familiar with but that is no difference than other CAD/CAM systems like Fusion360.

For the milling machine there is also EstleCam software. This is not freeware but relatively cheap (70$) and you don't need CAD/CAM.

Michael Gilligan
                Participant
                  @michaelgilligan61133
                  Posted by Huub on 28/08/2023 23:22:17:

[…] and FluidNC (MKS TinyBee ESP32board) on my mill. It works flawlessly. […]

That looks very interesting yes

Thanks
                  MichaelG.
                  David-Clark 1
                  Participant
                    @david-clark1

Hi there

Thank you all for your kind comments and help.

From what the seller says, there is an Nano Arduino in the USB interface box.

other than that I know nothing until it arrives, probably late this week or early next.

This was about £2 under £300 including carriage so not too expensive.

I also purchased an X Y milling table from Temu for under £15 and a drill stand for £10 + postage so slowly getting the new workshop up and running.

Still got the Super Adept to motorise but working on how to do that.

Just need the Cad up and running for design purposes.

JasonB
                      @jasonb

As Baz says Fusion360 is a good bet and what I use for CAM, for my Mach3 machine and it will do the CAD without problem.

John Haine
                      Participant
                        @johnhaine32865

The Nano can run vanilla grbl but not the offshoots mentioned, but vanilla works fine for straightforward 3 axis milling. For CAM and simple CAD I use CamBam which is quite cheap and excellent for most purposes. Lots of people using grbl use UGS as Huub mentioned.

Michael Gilligan
                        Participant
                          @michaelgilligan61133
                          Michael Gilligan
                          Participant
                            @michaelgilligan61133

I just did an ebay search for mks tinybee … showing ‘nearest first’

Every listing supplies from China

Does anyone have a recommended supplier ?

MichaelG.

Huub
                            Participant
                              @huub

The board is manufactured in China.

I have bought 2 boards from the MKS official seller. The delivery time to the Netherlands was within 10 days, both times. Select the version with the TMC2209 drivers without display.

The stepper and limit switches are connected using a 2.54 mm JST-XH connector but a 4 pin Dupont connector (breadboard pin) will also fit.

TinyBee store

TinyBee git hub page

Michael Gilligan
                              Participant
                                @michaelgilligan61133

Thanks, Huub yes

Yes, I realised the board was made in China … it’s just that this forum encourages us to buy locally if we can.

MichaelG.

JasonB
                                  @jasonb

What Proxxon is the conversion based on?

I wonder if the machine is upto handling anything much bigger than I assume the 1/8" or 3mm max collet size that the smaller ones tend to come with. Like the small CNC gantry routers they are better run at high spindle speeds with small cutters often single flute and don't have the grunt for say a 6mm 3 flute milling cutter. Even drilling can be a problem and you may be better off using the mill to bore (helical cut) any larger holes using the small cutters.

I hope your hearing has also failed as having one of those motors screaming away at 20K rpm for a few hours is not fun

David-Clark 1
                                  Participant
                                    @david-clark1
                                    Posted by JasonB on 29/08/2023 10:05:12:

What Proxxon is the conversion based on?

I wonder if the machine is upto handling anything much bigger than I assume the 1/8" or 3mm max collet size that the smaller ones tend to come with. Like the small CNC gantry routers they are better run at lectivehigh spindle speeds with small cutters often single flute and don't have the grunt for say a 6mm 3 flute milling, I cutter. Even drilling can be a problem and you may be better off using the mill to bore (helical cut) any larger holes using the small cutters.

I hope your hearing has also failed as having one of those motors screaming away at 20K rpm for a few hours is not fun

Hi JasonB I have hearing failure. Left ear is totally gone. Right ear is poor and selectively deaf.

The 1/8 shank engraving cutters are fine. I used them on a Denford Triac many years ago.

I still have my hand written g code programs on a 3 1/2 inch floppy disk somewhere.

If I can’t find them, the turbo cad source files will be on one of my backup hardrives.

David-Clark 1
                                    Participant
                                      @david-clark1

I have been looking at videos on youtube and it is amazing what this little mill is capable off. Far mare than I ever expected.

I am already looking at a conversion to an ER11 spindle which seems quite simple. Also there appears to be a toothed belt reduction gear conversion to reduce the top speed that looks interesting.

Happy days are here again.

Michael Callaghan
                                      Participant
                                        @michaelcallaghan68621

I started my cnc journey many years back with a 2nd hand proxxon cnc mill. Ok, you will never be able to turn large bits of metal into chips, but it can in many ways do milling jobs better than larger machines. I made a number of name boards for locomotives and model ships, using mach3 and solidworks cad. Just don’t push it too hard, take your time and enjoy. I never get over watching cnc machines working away, be it milling machines, or 3D printers.

David-Clark 1
                                        Participant
                                          @david-clark1

Hi Michael

Yes, I am trying to get the Proxxon working by learning Fusion 360.I am using an ipad but can’t even find how to get into the drawing environment.

It keeps asking me to upload a drawing but as I can’t find out how to actually draw one, it is a bit difficult.

Still, passes the time and keeps my mind active..

JasonB
                                            @jasonb

David, try these three videos, There has been an update of the Fusion screen since then but basically the same. Same guy has a beginners series for their CAD you will never need to write G-code again.

F360 is not the best if you are going to be trying to draw in 2D but model the part in 3D and the CAM works from that

Ady1
                                            Participant
                                              @ady1
                                              Posted by David-Clark 1 on 29/08/2023 16:02:09:

Still, passes the time and keeps my mind active..

I got Alibre when I had covid at xmas for something to do.

Best thing ever once you suss them out… and unlike the real world all your parts fit perfectly every time!

Roger B
                                              Participant
                                                @rogerb61624

I have a manual Proxxon MF70 that I use with the Proxxon supplied single flute carbide end mills. This company offers ER11 conversion spindles as well as a speed reduction system:

Zubehör Proxxon MF70 – USOVO

I thought about making my own conversion to allow me to use my smaller throwaway cutters and purchased an ER11 Chuck with a 10mm x 100mm shank from CTC:

https://www.ctctools.biz/er11-10mm-x-100mm-straight-shank-collet-chuck-l29/

It is still on the to do list as I have been able to do all I need, including milling rocker arms from key steel, with the standard Proxxon cutters.

Graham Meek
                                                Participant
                                                  @grahammeek88282

Hi David,

I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Gray,

David-Clark 1
                                                  Participant
                                                    @david-clark1

JasonB thank you.

I watched the first video.

Seems so simple but I expect it will get harder.

David-Clark 1
                                                    Participant
                                                      @david-clark1

JasonB, I watched one of the videos. Looks great.

Now to put fusion on my laptop.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)