Mach3

Advert

Mach3

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Paul Boscott
    Participant
      @paulboscott25817

I would like to see sometimes Mack 3 articles would an answer be to use this web site for the code to save column inches (mm) this would also cut and paste of the code

Advert
      Steve Withnell
      Participant
        @stevewithnell34426
        Posted by Rod Ashton on 30/09/2012 06:54:27:

The thread has morphed away from the original question.

How then, about the future for further Mach3 articles!!!!

What might be usefuk is a short column on Hints and Tips, work arounds for known problems. May be a few interesting cannds cycles where the programming has some ingenious twist.

Longer articles might be "How to make x using a KX1 CNC", where x would be any of the popular engineering designs, not previously constructed using CNC. It seems that many people think that CNC is only for multiple parts, but when you have turned the handle on the mill 35 times one way , then back to the start, incremented 2mm across and then repeated whole thing 20 times, you do start to yearn for a Mach 3 wizard to magically appear…

Steve

Michael Gilligan
        Participant
          @michaelgilligan61133
          Posted by Rod Ashton on 30/09/2012 06:54:27:

The thread has morphed away from the original question.

How then, about the future for further Mach3 articles!!!!

Rod,

You are right, of course; albeit the diversion has been rather interesting.

As I see it, the editorial problem is to find the right balance.

David's original series was exactly what you wanted at the time, but was despised by some others [whether a majority, or a vociferous minority, I know not].

I genuinely believe that we all should have some interest in CNC, whether we intend to use it in our own workshop or not. I am, however, less convinced that we need step-by-step instruction in the use of a particular piece of software.

In the magazine; let's have articles about the underlying principles, not "painting-by-numbers". Mach 3 may be a de facto standard for the model engineering community, but it is certainly not the only tool for the job.

Whilst hoping not to throw the thread off course again … the same applies to articles about [say] wiring-up a static inverter, or using an LED as an indicator lamp, etc. etc. There are too many pages of MEW wasted on big pictures of trivial things.

Chorus: An Editor's job is not a happy one !

Paul' suggestion of posting code to a specific area this forum is excellent, and I think the same should apply to screenshots of the software. There may be an exception who proves-the-rule; but it's a good bet that anyone that is interested in running Mach 3 already has access to the internet.

So … Let's have articles that explain CNC and how to use it; but don't fill the magazine with a serialized version of the instruction book for a specific product.

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 30/09/2012 09:22:53

Sub Mandrel
          Participant
            @submandrel

I think Richard Gordon's article in the current MEW hit the spot. useful information without being a step by step.

Neil

John Haine
            Participant
              @johnhaine32865

Of course serialised instructions on how to make things on a mini lathe or a Myford are a different matter…..

Seriously, if you are starting in CNC, you have a choice of 2 programs to use – Mach 3 or LinuxCNC. Rather like having a choice of Myford or Boxford really, except that those lathes are very similar whilst M3 and LCNC are very different. Mach3 is sufficiently complex that a helping hand is very useful in the early stages – the documentation isn't bad but having someone who isn't one of the software designers explaining how to set it up is extremely useful.

I quite agree that this website should allow people to post files such as g-code. In fact like most other similar sites it should allow any file type. Then the CNC articles can relegate the supporting code to the site – IMHO anyone who is likely to be doing CNC in their workshop will have web access.

John McNamara
              Participant
                @johnmcnamara74883

Hi All

This is a link to a short video of the CNC router I posted earlier….. working! in this case test engraving MDF board

The movies were shot with an Iphone and is unfortunately one is a biggish file 500meg. If you have fast Internet it will take a few minutes to download.

The machine is driven by Mach 3 using a smooth (USB) stepper driver board

Test 1: This was the first test Not Bad at all! Apologies for the portrait aspect.

**LINK** 123 meg

Test 2 at the opening of the Bright Men's Shed (North Central victoria Australia) where the machine is working.

**LINK** 500mb 1080p format

Most of the machine was made from laser cut 5mm mild steel plate. The rotating parts were made on a manual lathe using stock gears and Ball bearings. Every rotating element runs in ball bearings (Circlip and flange type ball bearings sitting in laser cut holes. Specified at .01mm oversize) there are no plain bearings.

A few hours maybe 4 were spent lightly filing and fitting joints and holes for bearings to fit in the steel plate.

Now that this one is finished I am starting on a new design 1200×2400 mm

Cheers

John McNamara

geoff warner 1
                Participant
                  @geoffwarner1

well i thought i would put in my 10 pence worth.re the magazine yes it is now painfully thin with little advertising we do of course have the free advert if required but articles that i think would be useful are on dro,s because without some accurate measuring system it is difficult to make accurate anything and why are dro systems so expensive thank goodness for all the mew help harold hall has given to us.

Peter Greene
                  Participant
                    @petergreene36336

…. you do realise this is a an 11-12 year old thread?

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)