CNC build update and controller question

Advert

CNC build update and controller question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave S
    Participant
      @daves59043

Evening All,

Some time ago I started to build a CNC mill.
      Initial discussions are here:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/topic/xy-table-or-xz-gantry/

I’m approaching the end of the mechanics finally (it’s been a bit on and off work):

IMG_4779
      I have closed loop steppers, drivers and a controller based on GRBL which I don’t now have the manual for… I’ll contact the supplier (they are still in existence, but have discontinued it), however I’m now wondering what to use as the User interface – I was planning on a Pi as the sender to the motion controller.

I have seen controllers with touch screen and buttons in a nice case on eBay (for instance) which seem like they would work nicely and remove some of the effort of boxing a pi and providing a screen etc.

Does anyone have experience of them, and what should I be looking out for?

Dave

Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

You might want to read the next issue of MEW before making a decision, it has some details of a PI based solution with large touch screen (to work with TOAD5).

Neil

Huub
        Participant
          @huub

Standalone controllers are often used by 3Dprinters. Hobby milling machines are often controlled by a program running on a PC, laptop, tablet, Raspberry, etc.

My 3D printer has a standalone controller but the lathes, router and rotary table require a windows computer. For my router (milling machine) I use UGS to send the gCode to the (grbl) controller. That works OK especially if I want to pause or stop the running program to change the settings (feed, speed, cooling, cutting depth, etc).

Because my space is limited, I use a tablet for the lathes and rotary table. The router currently is connected to a laptop but I am considering a tablet to free up space.

I use WiFi to connect so any machine can be controlled by any PC/Tablet/Laptop.

Michael Callaghan
          Participant
            @michaelcallaghan68621

Picking a cnc control system depends on a few things. What control software will you be using. Mach 3 is popular and I have used it for years. Mach 4 I feel is expensive for what it offers. If you purchase a breakout board that allows use of a Lang port or usb port you can then use windows 10 and not limit yourself to older computers. Closed loop stepper motors are a bit better and not much more to buy then open loop drivers and motors. I have just purchased a centroid system and the software I loaded into a mini pc and use a touchscreen monitor to operate the mill. I don’t like all in one systems, if something goes wrong, you lose the lot.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)