centaur engine

Advert

centaur engine

Home Forums I/C Engines centaur engine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bricky
    Participant
      @bricky

I started building this engine about 8 years ago and could never get it to go.I put it aside while I built two Rupnow engines which fired first go.I returned occasionaly to the centaur but had no joy ,I got the exhaust valve to seat but fuel was being expelled through exhaust ,leading me to believe that the input valve wasn't seated.The other thing was that I had this valve sliding up the shaft which I should have been part of the shaft,this I corrected.After reading an article on the forum about centaur timing I changed mine to suit and today it ran for the first time.What a trial this has been all down to my faulty workmanship,now to get that peskey coffe cup hot air engine running.

Frank

Advert
      bricky
      Participant
        @bricky
        Clive Brown 1
        Participant
          @clivebrown1

Hi Frank; congrats on getting your engine running. I may have been involved in the forum discussion that you refer to. My engine runs, but not very evenly, which I put down to valve timing, I've put it to one side for the time being. Could you clarify what you timing you eventually settled on for your success?

TIA, Clive

bricky
          Participant
            @bricky

Hello Clive ,I can't remember but I think it was the sugestion that the induction was just after TDC ,the engine didn't start but it was other factors causing that.When I finally got all the bits tidied up I decided to have a go not knowing if the timing was correct but away it whent and ran evenly so whatever the gent who suggested the timing in the post got it right.I am sorry I can't be of more help as I have a terrible memory.

Regards Frank

Clive Brown 1
            Participant
              @clivebrown1

Frank, thanks all the same, You will, at least, encourage me to see if I can improve mine when the present project draws nearer to a close.

Clive

bricky
              Participant
                @bricky

I did feed the fuel by gravity with a bottle suspended and a plastic tube to the carb.Tomorrow I am going to try the fuel tank below the engine and see if that works if not I will build a fuel tank in front of the engine above the carb inlet .

frank

bricky
                Participant
                  @bricky

I connected the fuel tank and the govenor and the engine runs so I will not bother with an elevated tank.

Frank

bricky
                  Participant
                    @bricky

I connected the fuel tank and the govenor and the engine runs so I will not bother with an elevated tank.

Frank

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)