POCKETMAGS works with WINDOWS 10 and WINDOWS 8.2

Advert

POCKETMAGS works with WINDOWS 10 and WINDOWS 8.2

Home Forums Subscription issues and Digital magazines POCKETMAGS works with WINDOWS 10 and WINDOWS 8.2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Neil Wyatt
      @neilwyatt
      Advert
      Neil Wyatt
        @neilwyatt

There's a misapprehension that you can' access digital editions of ME and MEW if you have a Windows 10 (or W 8.2) computer.

This is not correct, you just have to go to the Pocketmags Website and download the Windows version of the Pocketmags app.

This does work fully with W10 and W8.2. I have it here, running on W10.

What causes the confusion is that the app does not work on Windows 7. This is because Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 on January 13, 2015 and extended support ended on January 14, 2020.

Apparently, if you have W7 you can still view digital issues via the Pocketmags website in your browser.

Details of how to view digital subscriptions are here:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=1334

For instructions of accessing the archive (online access only) visit:

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/archive

Neil

Ed Duffner
        Participant
          @edduffner79357

Hi Neil,

I just looked at this and if you'll permit me to make a couple of comments, unless I misunderstood.

The app is downloadable from the Microsoft app store. I just downloaded it and when launching the app it's asking me to enter my Microsoft login details. If I cancel the login dialogue box it reappears. The only way to get out of this loop is to tap Alt-F4 twice quickly. ( …or use task manager and kill the process I suppose). So it seems to require a Microsoft login. I'm wondering why?

Edit: Consequently I've recently installed the latest Windows 10 update and the pockets mags reader looks very nice in the new microsoft Edge browser.

Ed.

Edited By Ed Duffner on 25/06/2020 14:58:12

Neil Wyatt
            @neilwyatt

You may have to log in to a Microsoft account to access their app store. I tend to be logged in most of the time anyway.

Neil

Enough!
            Participant
              @enough

… er what's Windows 8.2 ?

Frances IoM
              Participant
                @francesiom58905

is there going to be a Linux version – or is the tracking requirement a commercial requirement that once having bought a sub your subsequent operations are equally tracked (eg a Kindle reports back to base every page turn etc – I’m guessing that the pocketmag app also reports back to base

Neil Wyatt
                  @neilwyatt

Hi Frances, is that a variant of 'concern trolling'?

Neil

Neil Wyatt
                    @neilwyatt

More seriously, I very much doubt it as the Kindle tracking is when you use their library rather than buying and downloading books.

It keeps track of the pages viewed as authors (like myself) who have books available in the Kindle library receive micro-payments per page view. We don't get any data on which pages are viewed, just how many.

As far as I know Pocketmags doesn't use this pay per page view model.

I imagine Linux users can use WINE or similar.

Neil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)