Anti-rust treatments

Advert

Anti-rust treatments

Home Forums Workshop Techniques Anti-rust treatments

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Roy Vaughn
    Participant
      @royvaughn26060

I’m making a Stefan Gotteswinter DTI holder out of mild steel and I would like to give it a surface treatment to inhibit rust.  I’m thinking of something that simply paints on, not WD40 nor treatments like nitriding that Stefan uses.  Is there something out there that’s known to work?  Roy

Advert
      Sonic Escape
      Participant
        @sonicescape38234

If you polish the holder with Autosol paste it will leave a layer that can prevent rust. I think this is even  mentioned in the instructions. I also use Collinite 476 auto vax on some large milling cutters. But I can’t say how effective it is so far.

Blondihacks has a video with different usefull chemicals and there she mentioned a dedicated rust prevention vax based product. Can’t remember the name.

bernard towers
        Participant
          @bernardtowers37738

I use a cold blacking solution and the last process is using a dewatering oil which seems to be absorbed into the blacking (not sure if thats what actually happens) but over the years have not had any trouble rust wise except one piece of my Stent cutter grinder but that could be down to the fact that the grinder is the least oily bit of kit that I own.

Oldiron
          Participant
            @oldiron

I use Phillips Professional Cold Blue on many of the tools I make. Then just a smear of way oil. Not had any go rusty so far.   The trick to good blueing is to make sure the parts to be blued are spotlessly clean and oil free. I soak them in Isopropyl Alcohol for a couple of minutes then use a new wipe to dry them off.  Whatever you use follow the instructions to the letter.

Bazyle
            Participant
              @bazyle

Don’t let car or furniture polish into your workshop. Apart from pure beeswax they contain silicone which is the enemy of spray painting.

Sonic Escape
              Participant
                @sonicescape38234

You mean that you can’t paint over silicone?

Oldiron
                Participant
                  @oldiron
                  On Sonic Escape Said:

You mean that you can’t paint over silicone?

Not recommended.  I made the mistake of using some silicone spray for sliding mechanisms in my garage once. A panel I had ready to topcoat was hanging at the other end. When I sprayed it the finish had 100’s of tiny dimples in it. A complete rubdown to the primer was needed to eliminate the problem.  Most paintable  “silicone sealers”  are actually a hybrid polymer sealant.

Bazyle
                  Participant
                    @bazyle

I believe the problem stems from the difficulty of  solvents completely removing it and its insulating properties so that little specs of it have an electrostatic field that repels spray paint droplets so you end up with pinholes in the paint surface.

peak4
                    Participant
                      @peak4

Whilst I’ve not used it myself, I’ve been told that Renaissance wax works well; there are other “museum waxes” available under different brand names.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renaissance_Wax

Grindstone Cowboy
                      Participant
                        @grindstonecowboy

+1 on the Renaissance wax, somewhere in the history of the old forums is my post about blueing, as others have said, spotlessly clean (I use general purpose thinners), I warm the parts slightly with a blowlamp which removes all the thinners, into the solution (I use Phillips), agitate with a brush for at least ten minutes, remove, wash in clean water, WD-40 to get rid of water, oil (anything that’s handy, clean engine oil works), leave overnight, wipe off and a coat of the wax.

Rob

Steviegtr
                        Participant
                          @steviegtr
                          On Bazyle Said:

Don’t let car or furniture polish into your workshop. Apart from pure beeswax they contain silicone which is the enemy of spray painting.

On Oldiron Said:

I use Phillips Professional Cold Blue on many of the tools I make. Then just a smear of way oil. Not had any go rusty so far.   The trick to good blueing is to make sure the parts to be blued are spotlessly clean and oil free. I soak them in Isopropyl Alcohol for a couple of minutes then use a new wipe to dry them off.  Whatever you use follow the instructions to the letter.

+ 1 for Philips cold blue. Done lots of steel items with no rust on any of them. Need to be spotlessly clean before you start.

Steve.

bernard towers
                          Participant
                            @bernardtowers37738

One thing to be aware of is that the blacking I use does not like steels that contain chromium!!!!IMG_0824

Roy Vaughn
                            Participant
                              @royvaughn26060

Thanks everybody for the info, I  will try Cold Blue I think.  Roy

Gary Yeadon
                              Participant
                                @garyyeadon51936

Just found your post spray on Molykote may be worth a look.

bernard towers
                                Participant
                                  @bernardtowers37738

Just looked up Molykote but corrosion preventatives contain some silicone so a bit of a problem if paint is involved.

Gary Yeadon
                                  Participant
                                    @garyyeadon51936

There are a number ways to apply apply a chrome plating that could be a good solution.

Roy Vaughn
                                    Participant
                                      @royvaughn26060

Something I can paint or rub on is my limit!  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)