N Devon Model Engineers, is this the end?

Advert

N Devon Model Engineers, is this the end?

Home Forums Model engineering club news N Devon Model Engineers, is this the end?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Engine Builder
    Participant
      @enginebuilder

I have been a member of North Devon Society of Model Engineers for over 30 years. Back then there were 40 -50 members, we had a track and acess to a school fully equiped workshop.

Now we are down to 6 members and it’s unlikley we will be able to afford the meeting room hire for another year when subscriptions become due in March.

It’s a sad state that no youger people are interested in engineering or making things in general. Adverts in local press and annual displays at local vintage rallies have failed to attract new members.

Advert
      Ady1
      Participant
        @ady1

Hobby places need to broaden their net, computers in particular have changed the entire industry

Nowadays you need to offer locos, 3D printing, CNC, plasma,welding CAD and all the other “maker” spectrum

I got into this game from fishing (making bits)

If you only offer one beer to sup at your pub then you will only get a few customers

Plus you need an internet presence like facebook or X, totally essential nowadays

File Handle
        Participant
          @filehandle

If you have become that small can you meet at each others houses?

JA
          Participant
            @ja

I belong to a motorcycle club that fell to only 4 members (it is much larger now).

Has your club downsized? Still using a club room sounds as if it has not. This may sound drastic but if you are a limited company liquidated it and become a mutual organisation. Get rid of the committee and just have an organiser. Think about getting rid of any money the club has (the quickest way to kill a small club is to argue about money). Meet in a lounge bar of a pub. And so on.

Start again and try to increase your visibilty.

JA

SteveW
            Participant
              @stevew54046

I’m in Combe Martin.  Pm sent!

Steve

Engine Builder
              Participant
                @enginebuilder
                On JA Said:

I belong to a motorcycle club that fell to only 4 members (it is much larger now).

Has your club downsized? Still using a club room sounds as if it has not. This may sound drastic but if you are a limited company liquidated it and become a mutual organisation. Get rid of the committee and just have an organiser. Think about getting rid of any money the club has (the quickest way to kill a small club is to argue about money). Meet in a lounge bar of a pub. And so on.

Start again and try to increase your visibilty.

JA

We are very informal, not a limited company and just hire a room for a meeting once a month. That and the Southern fed subscription is our ony expense. We cannot downsize any lower!

Harry Wilkes
                Participant
                  @harrywilkes58467

Many landlords will let you have room for free providing everyone buy’s a drink of some kind

H

Rainbows
                  Participant
                    @rainbows
                    On Engine Builder Said:

Adverts in local press and annual displays at local vintage rallies have failed to attract new members.

Well there’s your problem. I tried googling North Devon Society of Model Engineers, the only result was this forum post. Being this hard to find would make criminals and spies jealous of your groups anonymity

duncan webster 1
                    Participant
                      @duncanwebster1

I’d query what you’re getting from SFed membership. I note they have rebranded themselves as THE society……. ignoring the existence of the Northern Fed

Bazyle
                      Participant
                        @bazyle

Sorry to hear about your problems Engine builder – as Rainbows says you have been trying hard to be invisible. Even now you are failing to say where you actually are, Barnstaple side or Watchet side of Exmoor for a start, and a first name helps to be friendly. Change your club name to the nearest town.
                        For years now every time someone comes on here saying they live in north Devon I mention the clubs at Tiverton and Exeter and rumours of a club on the north coast but none of your club members has come on to publicise themselves. There is at least one Men in Sheds group up there in Bideford or Barnstaple but again they don’t do much in the way of self-publicity.

EDMES – the Exeter club is gradually growing despite what you say and are starting to train beginners in our workshop. I’ve just got back from our club Christmas dinner; the club having spent much of the day at the Berrybrook launch of their new Mamod shop where we were able to set up and get some more publicity for ourselves.
                        EDMES at Berrybrook

Engine Builder
                        Participant
                          @enginebuilder

Thank you all for the input. As starters then here is some info.

North Devon Society of Model Engineers.

Contact David.

email ndsme@tiscali.co.uk

Meetings on the first Friday of the month at Fremington Methodist Church. 2 Old School Lane EX31 3AZ

7:30 start. Large car park at the rear. Refreshments provided.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)