Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Correcting worn slideways

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken king, King Design03/09/2014 10:41:47
144 forum posts
239 photos

I've acquired a Centec 2A milling machine which has previously been used for just one specific repetitive job. This has resulted in noticeable slide way wear over the centre portion of table travel. Can anyone suggest the best way of addressing this and getting the slide ways true and parallel ? Is it something I could tackle with abrasive blocks, scrapers etc or is it a case for a slide ways grinding company ? Your comments and suggestions please,

Ken.

Phil Whitley03/09/2014 20:56:28
1438 forum posts
147 photos

Hi Ken,

You would need to take the table off, then use a long camelback type straightedge to blue up the dovetails to see where the wear is. It would then be a matter of scraping down the unworn section to get the ways straight and parralell again, then check the gybe for straightness and flatness and rebuild, there are several detailed how to's on 't web I will have a look and see if I can post you some links. It is doable, but requires patience and accuracy.

Phil

Phil Whitley03/09/2014 21:23:48
1438 forum posts
147 photos

Have a look at "scraping mill slideways" on you tube

Phil

ken king, King Design04/09/2014 11:00:22
144 forum posts
239 photos

Thanks Phil, as you said, plenty of information and food for thought there. The first thing must be to strip the table and cross-slide ways to measure the extent of wear to be corrected, then decide which approach to use. thanks again,

Ken.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest