By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Poorly made set squares.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Denton31/07/2014 19:38:17
275 forum posts

I have owned a set of 4 set squares for around a year, finally got round to using them today and on two of the smaller ones there is a lump where the two parts are joined, it means it won't measure correctly when used one way round. A third one isn't square!

Just something to be aware of.

Ian P31/07/2014 20:16:45
2530 forum posts
102 photos

Is this another case of 'you get what you pay for'?

I know that a bit of a blanket statement (even the best makers have off days!)

The fact that it is a set of four sort of indicates Asian/Eastern origins, only because when I have looked in the catalogues of the best quality tooling its rare (for me) to see sets of things like squares.

Where is the 'lump you mentioned? also what does wont measure relate to with regards to something without a scale?

Ian

Chris Denton31/07/2014 21:47:19
275 forum posts

Pretty much. I meant to say they were from a 'model engineer' supplier. Quite cheap. As for the measurement, I mean it won't accurately sit flat against something to define a square.

Lump is is here, might be the other side I can't remember.

Chris Trice31/07/2014 23:06:43
1362 forum posts
9 photos
Well, I'm going to say it. "You generally get what you pay for". Yes, if you go through all the boxes, you might find a set that are all well made and all square but they should ALL be like that. It shouldn't be a game of chance.
Enough!01/08/2014 01:13:42
1719 forum posts
1 photos

Not to be pernickity but I grew up knowing these as "try" or ("tri" ) squares rather than set squares .... the latter being the kind of thing draftsmen used (in those days).

Edited By Bandersnatch on 01/08/2014 01:14:08

Hopper01/08/2014 08:00:23
5505 forum posts
137 photos

Well here is a nice little apprentice project for you. The "lump" is most likely deformation from the rivetting process used to attach the blade to the stock, right there where the lump is.

A few careful licks with a 10" millsaw file should bring it back in line with the main stock.

You might want to grind the teeth off the edge of the file that will rub against the blade so it does not scar it up. Proceed slowly with care, taking long, gentle strokes (ooh er mister). Check it against a known good straight edge until no light is visiible between the stock and the straight edge.

Neil Wyatt01/08/2014 10:31:10
18777 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

All three of my far-eastern squares resemble the one in the picture but don't have this fault. My mid-price British made square had a blade that wasn't even at 90-degrees to the stock - one of the few undamaged tools I have thrown away.

Neil

roy entwistle01/08/2014 11:33:02
1411 forum posts

I have still got and use a tri square which I made at school about 1948 if I remember we scraped them square relative to a master you can check squarenss by scribing a line turning the square over and scribing another they should be parallel

Roy

Bazyle01/08/2014 12:47:02
6042 forum posts
220 photos
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/08/2014 10:31:10:

one of the few undamaged tools I have thrown away.

Neil

why throw away a perfectly adequate shelf bracket?

NJH01/08/2014 13:27:34
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Yes but what did he throw is away AT?

N

Les Jones 101/08/2014 14:22:36
2234 forum posts
153 photos

Hi Bazyle,
Because he did not want things to roll off the shelf.smiley

Les.

Nigel Bennett01/08/2014 17:16:29
416 forum posts
11 photos

I bought a 12" square off eBay a while ago, knowing that at that price new it was going to be a joke one. So I set to with my milling machine, then files and scrapers, and gradually got myself a perfectly acceptable tool.

Yer pays yer money...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest