Engravig a scale ( cutter type?)

Engraving graduations on Bonelle T & C grinder rotating base

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ian j02/07/2014 08:17:43
307 forum posts
285 photos

Hi.

Can any one advise me on what type & supplier of an engraving cutter to use in my Emco mill ( max speed 2500 rpm) to engrave the graduations on the rotating work table on the Bonelle T& C grinder I'm building. The table is 3" in diameter leaded MS.

what Included angle of cutter? width & depth of graduations ?

Thank you.

Ian

Edited By ian j on 02/07/2014 08:22:04

Les Jones 102/07/2014 08:30:38
2243 forum posts
153 photos

Hi Ian,
These cutters may be what you are looking for.

Les.

Gone Away02/07/2014 15:39:21
829 forum posts
1 photos

I used cutters like these which were fine for my purposes on a similar job.

(There are numerous vendors selling them in several sizes)

OuBallie02/07/2014 17:36:01
1156 forum posts
661 photos

That's a massive difference in price between the two suppliers!

I like to support local businesses wherever possible, but . . .

Geoff - Recovering, having spilled all the BA taps onto the floor. Aargh! ^*+# junk 'phone calls!

Russell Eberhardt02/07/2014 19:41:33
2726 forum posts
86 photos

I use the Ebay engraving cutters on my little cnc mill. However I have made a bracket to take my Proxxon mini drill as an auxiliary high speed spindle (20,000 rpm). At 2500 rpm you will have to take the feed very slow as the cutters are very fragile. How do I know? - been there, broke the cutters!

Russell.

Michael Gilligan02/07/2014 20:14:17
19599 forum posts
997 photos
Posted by OMG on 02/07/2014 15:39:21:

I used cutters like these which were fine for my purposes on a similar job.

(There are numerous vendors selling them in several sizes)

In their advert: Do you have any idea what "Tool Double End MPH" is supposed to mean ?

Thanks

MichaeG.

Steven Vine02/07/2014 21:21:26
340 forum posts
30 photos

The seller is 144mph, and has MPH on the descriptions of the other stuff he is selling.

Steve

Michael Gilligan02/07/2014 21:28:47
19599 forum posts
997 photos
Posted by Steven Vine on 02/07/2014 21:21:26:

The seller is 144mph, and has MPH on the descriptions of the other stuff he is selling.

Steve

Fair enough, Steve

I will continue being thick: ...

Where does "Tool Double End" come into it ?

MichaelG.

P.S. Before anyone makes the obvious clever comment

... No; these have plain shanks, so that's a beginning and an end.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 02/07/2014 21:42:31

Steven Vine02/07/2014 21:51:31
340 forum posts
30 photos

Hi Michael

Just a guess, I assume he means there is a cutting tip at either end of the tool, but the photo is not showing a tip at either end.

Steve

Tony Pratt 102/07/2014 21:54:39
1830 forum posts
12 photos

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, his English is better than our Chinese! I would guess you will get what is illustrated.

Tony

Gone Away02/07/2014 22:40:34
829 forum posts
1 photos

The actual ones I got were a couple of years ago from another vendor who's now gone - or changed names. As with most of this stuff from the Far East, there are many vendors selling identical products (probably from a single source .... maybe they band together to get a humongous-quantity price).

Often, these vendors seem to copy text/pictures from the ads of other vendors and it's quite possible that the "double-ended" bit was picked up in such plagiarism without the vendor understanding what it meant. Perhaps there are some listed for sale that are, in fact double-ended; I haven't looked.

Certainly the ones I got were single ended.

At the free shipping rate, they may (will) take several weeks to arrive of course so you need to be aware of that. They will undoubtedly show up described as "Gift" which I'm sure Customs in the UK, as here, cheerfully ignore on Far East packages.

Edited By OMG on 02/07/2014 22:41:05

Michael Gilligan03/07/2014 08:02:36
19599 forum posts
997 photos

OMG,

Thanks for the clarification. ... I'm sure that you are right about the plagiarism ...

At that price, they are certainly worth a try.

I just hope that the diameter is accurately stated [because, these days, so many advertisers claim that 1/8" and 3mm are the same]

By the way; I have been amazed, recently, by how promptly small parcels are arriving from China.

MichaelG.

Nigel McBurney 103/07/2014 09:46:10
965 forum posts
3 photos

I have engraved many similar jobs on a Taylor Hobson engraver long ago during my aprenticeship, I think that 2,500 rpm is a little slow as you are only using the very tip of the cutter,use lubricant ,in those days lubrication was thin polishing oil like 3 in 1 ,nowadays the liquid Rocal is probably best. Most tedious job was a 21/2 inch micrometer drum in brass ,the index lines were easy ,about 8 thou thou deep,it was the numbers that were tricky ,they were mirror image as the micrometer was read via a mirror.

Andrew Johnston03/07/2014 10:43:40
6405 forum posts
682 photos

I would concur with Nigel on the spindle speed. I had no problems engraving with my Taylor Hobson engraver running at, I think, about 18000rpm. However, I had all sorts of trouble when using my CNC mill, running at a maximum of 5100rpm. Even at very low feedrates the single flute tapered engraving bits kept breaking. I ended up using a 4 flute 60° chamfering cutter. That did the job but wasn't perfect. As and when I need to do any more engraving, or even use small cutters, I will be buying a high speed spindle and VFD from ArcEuroTrade.

Regards,

Andrew

John Hinkley03/07/2014 10:44:46
1218 forum posts
397 photos

I bought 10 of the far-eastern carbide engraving bits to do the scales on my Harold Hall grinding rest.  I, too, broke a few, but the end result was to my satisfaction. They were cheap as chips and did the job. They didn't take an age to get here, either - about a fortnight, I think. At the price, I'd say get some, try them out on a piece of spare material, then if you don't like the result, send them to me! You can get an idea of the finish you can acheive if you look in my album. (I didn't get the smallest ones available, by the way.)

John

Edited By John Hinkley on 03/07/2014 10:45:18

Gone Away03/07/2014 15:13:06
829 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 03/07/2014 08:02:36:

I just hope that the diameter is accurately stated [because, these days, so many advertisers claim that 1/8" and 3mm are the same]

By the way; I have been amazed, recently, by how promptly small parcels are arriving from China.

The ones I got did indeed measure 1/8" .... they were even labelled as "shank dia 3.175mm"

The parcels are certainly not speedy here (Canada). I placed two orders for cross-hair laser modules on May 10th. One order finally showed up a week ago. The other is still pending. Of course a lot, perhaps most, of this is delays in local processing (customs/post-office). This is not untypical of past orders.

[As an aside, this reminds me of a dodgy practice - I hesitate to say scam - I've come across. These vendors are paranoid about getting bad feedback. They tell you to contact them if you have any problem and they will fix it. Particularly, let them know if the shipment is not received in a stated time. Above all don't leave negative feedback.

If a parcel doesn't arrive in the stated time, you inform them and they say don't worry, have already shipped a replacement - no cost to you .... don't leave negative feedback. If you contact them in the succeeding few weeks, communications are quite good. They are all help and assistance. Then, suddenly, they disappear. The replacement doesn't show up and you decide to leave feedback stating the situation.

Surprise! You have just been run out of eBay's limiting period for leaving feedback. The replacement obviously never existed. Ditto for Paypal complaints, although if it's the kind of $2 or $3 item discussed here you might not want the hassle anyway.

This has only happened to me once - by far the majority of vendors are genuine in my experience and I certainly wouldn't stop using them on this account. I did find an eBay forum discussing the exact same practice though, so it's happened to others.

if it happens again, I plan to leave feedback (neutral perhaps) stating the situation and saying that the feedback will be changed if the replacement arrives within the eBay feedback window .... assuming I can fit that in to eBay's miserably small comment space. ]

Michael Gilligan03/07/2014 20:50:56
19599 forum posts
997 photos
Posted by OMG on 03/07/2014 15:13:06.

The ones I got did indeed measure 1/8" .... they were even labelled as "shank dia 3.175mm"

That's very encouraging, thanks.

As to Shipping from China, etc. ...

I've just looked back at my recent purchases and some items have only taken 10 days to arrive.

Shipped half way round the world, at an all-inclusive price that's about half what our Post Office would charge me to post the same parcel to a local address. yessmiley

MichaelG.

thaiguzzi06/07/2014 05:40:35
704 forum posts
131 photos

Never used the mill and rotating cutters for graduated lines. As per GH Thomas et al, i only use the shaper (mostly) and the lathe (rarely) for all my graduated work.

Mike.

BERT ASHTON06/07/2014 09:38:11
75 forum posts
56 photos

This is how I did my graduating, using the GHT graduating tool and

headstock dividing attachment.

Bert.

BERT ASHTON06/07/2014 09:43:35
75 forum posts
56 photos

MICROMETER DIALS

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest