Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 29

Sound and hooters

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Brown 109/06/2014 13:56:58
966 forum posts
125 photos

Anyone have any ideas on a good sound card/driver what ever you want to call it for a 5" gauge class 08 Diesel shunter, price is not the be or end all but... I would like it to be able to change as the Loco speeds up with an idle when stopped. Input voltage ideally needs to be up to 14V but can I use a voltage regulator if not. The ones I have found seem to be more for the much smaller gauges OO/HO and not sure they are likely to have a good sound outdoors.

A two tone hooter would be nice as well

Bob

MichaelR09/06/2014 16:03:33
310 forum posts
50 photos

You may find something on this site Here they list sound modules for 5" and 7 1/4" gauge models.

Neil Wyatt09/06/2014 16:07:34
15676 forum posts
658 photos
73 articles

Hi Bob,

There are lots of cheap single-chip power amplifiers that you could use to beef up the output. This one looks quite good: **LINK**

Plenty of other options out there though, including stealing the output stage from an old car stereo or using powered speaker..

Neil

Keith Long09/06/2014 16:28:38
778 forum posts
10 photos

Bob

Also worth doing a search for "model boat sound units" as well. There are some that are programable for specific engine effects as well as standard offerings. They usually have ship siren/horn effects included as wello which may meet your needs and usually have an input from the speed control to match apparent engine speed to craft - or in your case loco speed. Typically run from 12 voltish supplies.

Keith

Bob Brown 109/06/2014 16:40:49
966 forum posts
125 photos

The problem is probably not volume as amplifier is easy, it is really trying to connect it to the motors or drive wheels optical sensor or similar as a lot of the smaller sound units are for R/C or get there signal from the track.

Did think a double pot one for the speed controller and the other driving the sound unit.

Just need to find a decent sound unit with out spending a fortune on it with good sound quality.

Oompa Lumpa09/06/2014 17:04:44
888 forum posts
271 photos

The Hooters you are on about, they're not the same ones I am thinking of are they......... <sigh>

graham.

Bob Brown 109/06/2014 17:10:29
966 forum posts
125 photos

I just knew someone would comment

Oompa Lumpa09/06/2014 19:27:57
888 forum posts
271 photos
Posted by Bob Brown 1 on 09/06/2014 17:10:29:

I just knew someone would comment

Had to be done Bob, had to be done!

graham.

Bob Brown 106/07/2014 15:46:06
966 forum posts
125 photos

Went for this one **LINK** in the end with a couple of regulators to give 12v and 5v from the 24v motor supply. I could have done it with a 12v feed off one of the batteries and one regulato but preferred to have the two batteries drain at the same rate.

Just need to set it all up in the loco and run a double pot one for the speed controller and one so the engine sound speeds up as the locomotive speeds up.

Simeon Jackson05/10/2015 17:01:40
4 forum posts

Doing something similar but in 2 1/2" gauge, would any of the sound modules/chips linked here be suitable?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest