By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Machine plate grouting (most common method)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve Wan30/04/2014 08:28:09
129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi guys

Has anyone here try concrete grouting over a metal base plate to increase the weight of the machine? I like to add more weight on the power hacksaw base plate. I need to know what's the most common practise used. Or simply using extended bolts and pour the mortar over the inverted base plate? Appreciates any tips and guides-Steve Wan

Bazyle30/04/2014 08:50:24
5391 forum posts
206 photos

Not heard of this before. Seems a little awkward to reverse. How about casting an entirely seperate lump of concrete to bolt the machine to.

Steve Wan30/04/2014 09:52:54
129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Bazyle, I'm open to any option. Your way is good for servicing in the future to take the heavy load away when not in use, easy to carry off the weight-thanks!

JohnF30/04/2014 10:07:18
1011 forum posts
143 photos

Hi Steve,

Have a look on the www.lathes.co.uk web site at Peatol and Taig lathes, they use an aluminium extrusion filled with concrete as their machine base.

John

Steve Wan30/04/2014 10:40:53
129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi John, unable to see the Taig cast. Perhaps, I find a baking tray to cast the slab. Once dried, I invert it and bolt to the base of the power saw. As the tray has a curvy edges, spray a texture paint. One may take it as part of cast iron.

Michael Gilligan30/04/2014 10:42:47
16189 forum posts
706 photos

Steve,

It might be easier to bolt the machine down to a paving slab.

... what "footprint" is the base of the machine ?

MichaelG.

Ian S C30/04/2014 10:57:48
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Is your power hacksaw a bench mounted type, or is it mounted on legs? If on legs, a weight at each end, one for each pair of legs, a bolt cast into the concrete for each leg, sit the saw over the bolts, put on a nut. I'd make the concrete about 50 mm / 2" thick, the size would be dependant on the size of the saw. Ian S C

Steve Wan30/04/2014 11:16:19
129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Micheal, I'm trying to figure out the best footprint Hi Ian, nice to hear from you again. Yes, it would be mounted on 4 legs. I may cast the concrete on a wooden plywood tray with a thick base, supported by 4 legs. The motor is screwed underneath which in turn pressure the pulley belt. The power hacksaw unit is then bolted above the tray.

Michael Gilligan30/04/2014 11:53:39
16189 forum posts
706 photos
Posted by Steve Wan on 30/04/2014 11:16:19:

I'm trying to figure out the best footprint

Sorry Steve, I presumed you were talking about the machine in your photo album

If you are still at the design stage, then:

The best footprint would be one that fits nicely on whatever heavy paving slab you can acquire.

... Get the slab first, drill some holes; then make the mounting feet to fit.

MichaelG.

Ian S C01/05/2014 12:29:50
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Steve, I hadn't until now looked at your photo, I see that it is basically the same as the one that is evolving here, I had not thought of the top rail with the weight, Looks like a good idea, that will go into the design ideas department. What I would do is Fit wheels at the rear, under the motor, arranged so that they come in contact with the floor when the front end is lifted. Might be a bit difficult on the cast (?) legs on your machine. I suspect my saw will have wooden legs, the main body of it will be the bit of 4" x 2" channel steel that was the basis of my first saw.

Ian S C

Jon Gibbs01/05/2014 14:13:28
739 forum posts

Another way often used with wood lathes is to add a ballast box and fill with kiln dried sand - either bagged or not.

**LINK**

It will also do a good job of damping vibrations and isn't as much work as casting concrete by any means.

Hope this helps

Jon

John McNamara01/05/2014 16:47:28
1313 forum posts
113 photos

Hi Steve Wan

I am not sure what your are trying to achieve, Is it to reduce vibration? Or is it to stop the machine walking along the floor when it operates? A hacksaw is not a high precision machine.

A lot of machine commercial builders fill their steel machine castings with Epoxy composite material
Usually gravel/Silica sand/epoxy as a damping medium. Some do away with the steel and make entire frame castings from the epoxy material, Hermle in Germany use it for most of their machines For example: **LINK**.

The use it to reduce vibration important when you are working to microns.

Regards
John

Steve Wan01/05/2014 18:24:59
129 forum posts
1 photos

Hi guys

Thanks so much for the feedbacks and concerns.

It's at the raw stage now. The concrete fill is to dampen the vibration only. I would prefer using concrete fill as I'm familiar with. The mix would include loose fibre-glass threads and wire mesh to hold the structure intact from cracks. Basically, I will make an inch deep with a well around the aluminium block where the saw is attached.

If anyone here is keen to follow through the process, please keep my email: stewan@gmail.com

I shall post photos as I get along, it may take time as I have many other jobs. The whole process is made by small scale Sherline mill /lathe and plenty of hand work such as sawing/filing and sanding.

Steve Wan

Michael Gilligan01/05/2014 20:47:22
16189 forum posts
706 photos
Posted by Steve Wan on 01/05/2014 18:24:59:

It's at the raw stage now. The concrete fill is to dampen the vibration only.

Steve,

I obviously mis-understood your original question ... I thought you just wanted to add mass, but it's now obvious that you want damping. In that case; as well as looking at the "Epoxy Granite" materials mentioned by John, it might be worth you reading-up on "constrained-layer damping"... This can be very easily achieved by building a bolted or bonded sandwich of metal plates and [for example] Tufnol or MDF.

MichaelG.

Marcus Bowman01/05/2014 22:48:06
166 forum posts

There is a large, long-running thread about epoxy/concrete fills here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/epoxy-granite/

Marcus

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest