By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Any one know what this is and what's it used for?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rebekah anderson03/03/2014 12:52:45
135 forum posts

found this his and looks interesting but what is it and what's it used for.

i have an idea but don't know for sure. The owner doesn't appear ton know.



Edited By JasonB on 03/03/2014 14:28:44

John Stevenson03/03/2014 13:00:17
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Looks like a bomb sight off one of your aircraft.


Speedy Builder503/03/2014 13:11:57
2648 forum posts
218 photos

Is there a manufacturer's name on it. Looks like some sort of measuring device for surface finish (CLA ?).


rebekah anderson03/03/2014 14:13:39
135 forum posts

well it came up during a search for 'Myford'

I believe it's a lathe attachement.

JasonB03/03/2014 14:33:53
23039 forum posts
2769 photos
1 articles

Problem is if you were searching somewhere like e-bay people will put Myford against anything just so it comes up in the results.


Clive Hartland03/03/2014 14:45:18
2838 forum posts
40 photos

I asked Google to find a similar image and it came up with a pr. of trainers, an automatic pistol and a set of 3 models of wargaming figures ?


Max Tolerance03/03/2014 15:34:30
58 forum posts

It looks like part of a Matrix screw pitch measuring machine made by Coventry gauges, though its not complete. It should be mounted on a massive cast base with centres.The screw was mounted between the centres and the indicator placed into the thread. The reading was adjusted until the scale was set to the zero line. The whole unit (which was mounted on balls running in a parallel "V" was then advanced using the micrometer causing the stylus to ride up the flank of the thread and back down into the next thread until the scale again read zero and the pitch advance noted from the micrometer dial. This was then repeated until all the threads were measured and any deviation from the correct pitch noted. It was probably made in the 50's or 60's

Max Tolerance03/03/2014 15:38:24
58 forum posts

Having studied the picture again I may be mistaken with the manufacturer. It is a long time since I saw one but it is more likely to be the Pitter gauge unit. It works exactly like the matrix unit but is not quite so sophisticated. The pulley on the back would have had a cord and weight to keep any backlash out of the measuring micrometer.

rebekah anderson03/03/2014 17:04:59
135 forum posts

so all it does is measuring?

it doesn't machine anything?

DrDave03/03/2014 18:06:06
242 forum posts
48 photos

Ah! So that is what it is. I did wonder what on earth it was when it (or something similar) came up on eBay recently.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Sign up to our Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter and get a free digital issue.

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest