A few pics of the dro's on my gh1330

img_0085.jpg

img_0086.jpg

img_0087.jpg

Edited By CoalBurner on 31/01/2014 12:45:52

Mick Dobson31/01/2014 14:51:29
21 forum posts
10 photos

dsc00601.jpgdsc00600.jpgHere's another take on installing a cross slide DRO to a GH1330 lathe. (Actually it's not a Warco, but a 1997 spec Chester of the same type, when they were painted green and before they started selling the grey paint spec machines. Has been a good machine.)

My method has the DRO situated beyond the end of the cross slide. It enables the tailstock to still be moved right up to the back of the saddle, also it keeps the DRO working parts well away from swarf and coolant.

The long plate extension screwed to the top of the cross slide supports the DRO scale, which effectively moves with the cross slide. The DRO pick up comprising the wiring lead is fixed to a bracket projecting from the back of the saddle. It has proved to be a highly effective and very rigid set up.

The only downside is that I had to move the lathe slightly further away from the wall and also modify the rear splash guard to suit.

For issues on lathes where the cross slide gib adjustment screws would be compromised, situating the DRO at the end like this would solve that problem too.

On the saddle DRO, mine too is at the back, like that shown on Coalburner's lathe. I added a further swarf guard above the DRO body as a second line of defence, although the DRO seal strip is at the underside anyway so should be fine.dsc00597.jpg

Regards, Mick

The Merry Miller31/01/2014 15:20:17
484 forum posts
97 photos

Geoff,

Sorry for nor replying sooner about the lamps on my mill.

The ones fitted either side of the vertical head are 20w 12v halogen with flexible necks, clamp type base and obviously their own PSU's.

Homebase were having a sale sometime last year and I bought four for £6 each.

Len.

paul rayner31/01/2014 20:23:47
160 forum posts
44 photos

Mick

thats a good idea for the cross slide

I will have a think about that one

thankyou

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest