Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

TOS Chucks

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Deltic00723/01/2014 20:35:47
131 forum posts
12 photos

I need some soft jaws for my TOS 3 jaw 125mm chuck.

Any idea who i get them from?

JasonB23/01/2014 20:43:33
22755 forum posts
2654 photos
1 articles

MSC do soft jaws for some of the Tos chucks. Rotagrip may also be worth a try, if the size is right the ones they do for the imported chucks are OK and what I use

Deltic00723/01/2014 20:49:48
131 forum posts
12 photos

Jason.

I have just found both those suppliers.

I bought it 10 yrs ago from one of the Model Eng suppliers,think it was Chronos,it was well under £100 and the soft jaws were about £15,now Rotagrip want £38 per set!!! and MSC £48

Is it not a gamble to use another manufacturers soft jaws or are they all standard to an extent?

Thanks for the post

Mike

JasonB23/01/2014 20:59:00
22755 forum posts
2654 photos
1 articles

Thats why I said if they will fit. Best give Rotagrip a call with the model number of your chuck and they will be able to advise.

Or wait until MSC have a promotion on, you may get 30% off.

Jo25/01/2014 08:34:46
198 forum posts

Strangely enough I was looking at the prices of TOS chucks in an old Chronus (paper) catalogue the other day: 80mm 4 jaw CS chuck = £69, set of soft jaws for it = £25. Which is why I never brought any. (Your 125mm chuck was £80 and £28 for the jaws)

Allowing that the chuck prices have doubled over the years £38 is cheaper than they used to be. Still not buying any..

Jo

John Stevenson25/01/2014 10:10:52
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Soft jaws are well worth it.

If you think prices are high then just buy one set , thin them down in length and make a tennoned bolt on two piece section to use as the sacrificial jaws.

They will last a life time and at the end of the day be more accurate and cheaper than 7 drawers of different type collets.

I have even brazed up totally worn out sub jaws and got new life out of them.

However talking about prices have you ever priced up a set of the supplied hard jaws ?

I broke one out of a Bison 10" chuck and J&L wanted more for a set than a new chuck with two sets of jaws.

D.A.Godley25/01/2014 20:43:16
120 forum posts
39 photos

Strange you should mention that John, I was in Birmingham yesterday getting a little play thing when I asked how much for a set of hard jaws: £220 *** shock horror.

I can't believe it !!!!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest