By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gordon W06/10/2014 11:23:46
2011 forum posts

Last time I was at the dentist I had an infected tooth removed ( caused by a previous dentist ) the relief was immediate. They had to open the windows because of the smell. Today I have mostly been out in heavy rain clearing bits of trees and next doors roof off the road. Also moved wife's car to a safer place.

Russ B06/10/2014 12:42:15
597 forum posts
26 photos

(Yesterday) I managed to spend a few hour slicing a 10ft length of 4" box section & squaring up the rough cut ends of 2 150mm long stubs to make a pair or riser blocks for the Myford, and I also removed the sharp edges from 2 roughly saw 1.2 & 0.7 metre sections will which go under the newly acquired Boxford AUD bench (its a very low bench!)

I plan to recess 2 pieces of 30mm long Ø30mm round bar to each 150mm piece (myford foot spaced), machined flat once cooled and then tapped M16x2 through, and I'll insert a bolt and nut to adjust the level of each foot, and the centre of each M16 bolt will be drilled and tapped M10 or M8 depending on what fits, so I can level with the M16 bolt lock it, and tighten the M8/M10.

The box section will be drilled & the table tapped to secure it all together, as will the box sections going underneath. Effectively raising the height of the table by about 225mm overall to around 950mm-1000mm with the M16 adjusters, this feels comfortable to stand at for me, and put the crosslide at approximately elbow height.

I'd like to fit some plastic end cover to the box section to stop them collecting swarf, and I'll drill and tap the ends of the long sections underneath so I can fit M10 bolts through them to jack the whole thing up and down to a rough level and mortar in place before the lathe is installed.

I'm hoping this will give me a steady bench for many many years, I'll lightly oil the bottom of the beams underneath and apply cling film so they don't stick to the mortar allowing me to lift it off the base with ease (with the levelling screws removed once the mortar has set). I'll also be mortaring on top of cling film so I can easily remove and reset if need be. It doesn't really come off too easily, it requires a cracking with a hammer, but it will come off cleanly and left the garage floor as new at my last gaff (which was rented, so I had to take care)

Edited By Russ B on 06/10/2014 12:45:28

Oompa Lumpa06/10/2014 14:24:03
888 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Gordon W on 06/10/2014 11:23:46:

Last time I was at the dentist I had an infected tooth removed ( caused by a previous dentist ) the relief was immediate.

This is exactly where I was. The original problem stemmed from a Dentist who quite simply would not listen. Now that the tooth has been cleaned and properly filled the molars on the same side but on the lower jaw have decided to make their presence felt - the infection was still hanging around and just moved elsewhere. Been to the Docs and I now know that I have an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin taken in massive doses

I have given up trying to work. The pain is too distracting.

graham.

Michael Gilligan06/10/2014 15:26:27
16644 forum posts
725 photos

I've just added a few more photos to my Bugsworth Album

MichaelG.

David Colwill06/10/2014 15:52:43
678 forum posts
34 photos

Managed to get my Denford Easiturn up and running having rewired it and fitted a UC300 motion controller. Also have got it levelled on the anti vibration mounts that came with it when I got it 5 years ago. I can now use constant surface speed which seems to work very well. The UC300 has the equivalent of 5 parallel ports, so I can now think about adding some kind of pendant with functions that I use most often. It also has an analogue port which can take pots to control spindle speed and feed rate override.

I'm looking forward to trying it out especially as Dolphin sorted the post processor out so that it now does contours correctly.

David

Involute Curve06/10/2014 17:38:36
337 forum posts
107 photos

I was once informed by a games teacher that pain was a figment of my imagination, I immediately threw a cricket ball at him, it hit him on his knee cap with enough force to floor him... ohh we did laugh about it later, much later

Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 06/10/2014 14:24:03:

Posted by Gordon W on 06/10/2014 11:23:46:

Last time I was at the dentist I had an infected tooth removed ( caused by a previous dentist ) the relief was immediate.

This is exactly where I was. The original problem stemmed from a Dentist who quite simply would not listen. Now that the tooth has been cleaned and properly filled the molars on the same side but on the lower jaw have decided to make their presence felt - the infection was still hanging around and just moved elsewhere. Been to the Docs and I now know that I have an allergic reaction to Amoxicillin taken in massive doses

I have given up trying to work. The pain is too distracting.

graham.

Involute Curve06/10/2014 17:55:09
337 forum posts
107 photos

Tangled with the planning people today, although I don't need planning permition for what I want to do, I do require building regs, this requirement triples the cost of the work, so rather than have a nice looking garden room, adjacent to my garage / workshop, and rendered to match the house, its looking like I will have to get a sectional garage, which is functional but ugly, this will primarily be used to keep my bikes in but would also have been useful as a sort of den for me and my mates to have a cupa and shoot the breeze without trailing swarf trough the house................

she will be pleased, lol

Shaun

I would be interested to here others experiences regarding this area of bureaucracy and how they got on, perhaps this warrants a thread of it own?!

Edited By Involute Curve on 06/10/2014 18:11:56

Bob Brown 106/10/2014 18:37:36
1016 forum posts
127 photos

I needed planning as my workshop/garage is attached, I had very little problem with planning and building control have been fine.

It is interesting when you look at the planning regulations, I could have built the same workshop/garage detached without planning, 30 square meters floor area, and providing it was constructed in the main out of stuff that doesn't burn no building control.

There are a few other bits to the regulations but they are all fairly reasonable, I found the best move was to have chat with planning first and on the whole they have been helpful.

Personally I would not even consider a sectional building as it is hard to keep dry and warm, my garage is cavity wall fully insulated including the roof, cosy I hope.

Pulled down the old garage today from inside the new one as it is been built around the old one which was the usual size for a garage the one where you drive the car you then have trouble getting out of the car or garage.

Bob

Involute Curve06/10/2014 19:37:13
337 forum posts
107 photos

Hi Bob, I already have a 5 x 6m workshop which is quite well insulated, I just want to get the bikes out of here and into what I would describe as a garden room / den, I don't mind the building reg's requirements, what I do mind are the fees they charge, I can and will do all the building work myself, I used the sectional garage as an example, if I make it detached from my existing garage/workshop which is attached to the house, I don't need reg's, and I can pretty much do as I please, however I then have to go out and come back in again........... work starts in the morning. DETACHED, just under 15m floor area, rendered brick and block cavity walls, fully insulated, 150mm energy roof with EPDM membrane.

I hope it stops raining soon. lol

Bob Brown 106/10/2014 20:06:44
1016 forum posts
127 photos

The weather forecast does not look too bad or at least not as bad as today all be I cooler, needs to be as I hope to get the roof finished over the next couple of weeks.

Build it detached and once up put a covered walk way in between the two.

Bob

Four stroke Fred07/10/2014 10:13:44
137 forum posts
137 photos

Yesterday I stripped the Saunderson & Mills tractor ready to paint and today I did make a start. Fortunately the humidity was down and the air was quite still. As I don't have a spray painting bay the painted parts were hung out to dry on an improvised "washing line" and some were left to dry on o plank of wood. All was going well until a cheeky Willie Wagtail decided the painted back axle would make a good perch!

I did a colour match from the photographs and had the paint mixed at a local car spares retail outlet - it cost $37 per can and I will have to get two more tomorrow! It's amazing what difference a coat of paint makes and I am looking forward to seeing the assembled the chassis. I still have some work to complete on the engine but will do that while the chassis paint cures.

George.

OuBallie07/10/2014 16:23:05
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Got everything ready to fit the motor to the BH600G Feed Rod and did a final check before bolting everything onto the lathe.

Plans of mice and men!

Before this test, everything worked as expected, with speed control apart from a slight binding which I suspect is being caused by the connection between motor and Feed Rod. The system is based on that shown here **LINK**

The PWM, with potentiometer incorporated, is from the land of the Panda.

Now the motor runs at full speed, the speed pot having no effect whatsoever, and unplugging it has no effect either.

I have absolutely no knowledge of electronics and wouldn't know one end of a resister from another, so have no idea what to test or look for.

Replacement PWM no doubt.

Geoff - These things are sent to to us, and they sure as heck DO!

Edited By OuBallie on 07/10/2014 16:24:33

Clive Hartland07/10/2014 16:56:09
2617 forum posts
40 photos

We have our 2 year visit from the Parent Company so its cleanup time and dump stuff! Already the scrap box is full but at least i have garnered all that is worth saving from it, How much stuff is made from scrap? I was sneezing quite well while dusting down and right in the middle came a request for help from a colleague to get a threaded brass collar of a Theodolite trunnion which some berk had loctited on. He had already broken the special 2 pin tool with 1.5mm pins so I had to drill 2 more holes in the collar. This time I used the heat gun on it and with a grating graunch it started to move and we got it off.

Now the bees, the small swarm taken 3 weeks ago has expanded slowly and today I managed to find the Queen, a bit small but she seems OK. I raided the hive thats failing and took a comb of honey and placed that in the swarm and hopefully it will help them but I can see me feeding them throughout the winter.They really have very little chance of surviving!

Clive

Edited By Clive Hartland on 07/10/2014 16:56:54

Michael Gilligan07/10/2014 18:17:12
16644 forum posts
725 photos

I've added a few more photos to my Bugsworth Album ... I think Geoff [OuBallie] might like these.

This little Austin "Sports" arrived with just five miles on the clock, after being lovingly built from a Ruby.

I couldn't get some of the shots I wanted, because the thing was so shiny!!

LED enthusiasts; please note the HeadLamp Bulb.

p1180827_s.jpgMichaelG.

frank brown07/10/2014 19:47:32
436 forum posts
5 photos

I sprayed the inside of my work shop today with a cupful of oil. Just replaced the shock absorbers on the back of the car. New ones came with dire warnings and instructions to drill holes in them to depressurise the gas, then pour the oil out. So i marked them out, drilled the 3mm hole for the gas in the duff one, nothing, then drilled the hole for the oil, and a little bit trickled out. Repeated process on the better one, gas hole just the same, when | drilled the oil hole, a massive amount of gas came out along with a cupful of oil which sprayed onto the workshop wall 8' away.

Ahh!, the instructions were for the NEW ones not the old onesdevil

Frank

"Bill Hancox"07/10/2014 21:00:35
256 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/10/2014 15:26:27:

I've just added a few more photos to my Bugsworth Album

MichaelG.

Mike

WOW! Mr. Goodyear would be proud of how those Goodyear Trackman Tires have lasted on that tractor.

Bill

"Bill Hancox"07/10/2014 21:10:26
256 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 07/10/2014 18:17:12:

I've added a few more photos to my Bugsworth Album ... I think Geoff [OuBallie] might like these.

This little Austin "Sports" arrived with just five miles on the clock

Mike

Awesome! When I was in my favourite junk shop this past Saturday, I noticed amongst the tools an ancient looking 7/16 X 1/2 W spanner with the Austin logo on it. It looked like this one that I found on EBay but it was only about 1/10 the price. I wasn't aware that Austin marked their tools.

Item image

Cheers

Bill

lancelot07/10/2014 21:34:37
63 forum posts
4 photos

Noticed the split nut engagement lever was having a hard time engaging with the lead screw for some time ...decided to strip it down...good thing I did ...after a good soak in white spirit and a scrub with a mini wire brush ,I had a look at the split nuts... the bottoms of the threads were packed tight with hard crud ,mainly what looked like cast iron and brass , I had to dig it out with a scriber point...after doing bot h and giving the wire brush treatment they looked like new......all cleaned and parts checked o/k reassembled the system back ( after cleaning and checking the lead screw at engagment area)...a little fine tuning to do other wise in fine nick..

John.

"Bill Hancox"07/10/2014 21:39:58
256 forum posts
76 photos

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE TAP!!

Michael Gilligan07/10/2014 22:55:25
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by "Bill Hancox" on 07/10/2014 21:10:26:
I wasn't aware that Austin marked their tools.

Bill,

Austin was once a very proud firm ... early days of motoring.

You might find this brief history interesting,

MichaelG.

P.S ... I have sent you a P.M.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest