Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Danny M2Z04/10/2014 12:09:38
892 forum posts
283 photos

albury speed models - 2.jpgPosted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 04/10/2014 00:03:26:

That Tawny Frog Mouth must be friendly uncle used to be able to hand feed one up round Tea Gardens.

Tawny Frog Mouth is named 'Napoleon' as the local kids keep calling him/her? 'Froggy'.

Rescued from the roadside, fed on milk and worms he's a little ripper.

Now today, the NSW control-line state champs came to my town. Being on the border it's 'neutral territory'. 3 hours from Melbourne and 5 from Sydney. The local club has one of the only hard circles in the country (dedicated concrete circle for racing control-line models).

After catching up with the blokes most of the day was spent timing and lap-counting but I managed to grab a few photos. The pulse-jet on full bore was awesome.

* Danny M *

cl jet - 2.jpg

Nick_G04/10/2014 18:29:37
1808 forum posts
744 photos

I made a bench to sit a table top milling machine on.

Nick

JasonB04/10/2014 18:34:51
19129 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

In that case you will be needing a table top not just the legssmile p

Nick_G04/10/2014 18:58:53
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by JasonB on 04/10/2014 18:34:51:

In that case you will be needing a table top not just the legssmile p

I am going for the convection air cooled option. indecision

Nick wink

JasonB04/10/2014 20:48:55
19129 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

I put this pile of metal in the workshop a couple of weeks ago.

Changed the two rectangular blocks for some rusty scaffold tube, added a couple of welding rods and a bit of bodyfiller and said the magic words

Came out the shed today with thissmiley

Edited By JasonB on 04/10/2014 20:50:25

Muzzer04/10/2014 21:46:10
2904 forum posts
448 photos

"If you want permanent rotation, use a proper editor!"

Well, that's the point, I suppose. In W7 you could simply right click the photo and select rotate clockwise and they upload to MEW fine. When I do the same in W8 they upload onto MEW forum as if I hadn't bothered, no matter what I try. Is that progress?

Not sure installing a "proper" editor is the fix I had in mind. I was getting along fine without one until somebody at MIcrosoft decided to change stuff!

Can't help wondering if the MEW website is the other half of the problem causing rotated pictures with W8. Is it just me or is it the combination of W8/MEW together? Is it just finger trouble on my part?

Murray

Bob Brown 104/10/2014 22:00:33
1016 forum posts
127 photos

Murray,

I have no problem rotating a picture in W8 if you right click the picture you have the option to rotate or you can do it from preview and the up load is fine.

Workshop progress rotated

dscf0407.jpg

Muzzer04/10/2014 22:52:58
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I made 3 copies of a JPG file, then used the Windows Photo Viewer to rotate 2 of them 90 degrees and 180 degrees. This saves the orientation back to the file and I think I demonstrated that I had done that successfully by emailing it to my web mail, previewing and saving, then finally embedding it in Outlook, Word and Excel. The orientation is correct in any application or viewer I try.

I then uploaded the 3 files to a MEW forum album and sure enough, the original photo is now rotated 90 degrees - anticlockwise, in an orientation I've never even created. As they were originally the same file, it can't be picking up and reverting to the original orientation of the camera. The rotation clearly happens during the upload process. The photos posted from the album have retained the same orientation, so no change during that process at least.

Over several months, I learned that the only way to get the orientation predictable and correct was to use my wife's W7 laptop instead of my W8 machine for uploading photos to the MEW forum. Is there something subtly different about the file metadata between W7 and W8 that confuses the uploader?

Puzzling, isn't it!

This one should appear upside down. It's managed that OK.180 deg clockwise - looks OK

This one should be the right way up but it's on its side, rotated 90 degrees anticlockwise. WHY? I never even said the words.Original - but shown annoyingly on its side

This one should be rotated clockwise, which it is.90 deg clockwise - looks OK

The crisps weren't bad from memory. Pretty tangy.

Merry

JasonB05/10/2014 07:11:11
19129 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles

Just make sure you hold your phone the right way up when you take the photosmile p

Swarf, Mostly!05/10/2014 13:51:12
549 forum posts
47 photos

Hi there, Murray,

When I was using Windows XP, I found that trying to rotate photos using the right click method always failed with a message that there wasn't enough RAM. I downloaded Microsoft Photo Editor from somewhere and that never failed me.

I've recently 'progressed' to Windows 7 and I'm still using Microsoft Photo Editor and it still does the biz.

Whether it would work with Windows 8 and/or whence I downloaded it, I cannot say.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Nicholas Farr05/10/2014 17:10:23
2480 forum posts
1198 photos

Hi Muzzer, the photo below was taken on a compact digital camera in portrait position, it was uploaded to my PC where upon it had to be rotated 90* to be viewed correctly and this was done the same way with Windows 8.1 the same way as I've always done it on XP and Vista by using the default viewer and I have no issues about it staying in this orientation.

cimg1906 - copy (600x800).jpg

So I'm guessing it's not a problem with Windows 8.

Regards Nick.

Bazyle05/10/2014 17:26:34
5571 forum posts
207 photos

I use Microsoft office picture manager as the only thing allowed on my XP company laptop. After rotating, or cropping, if I don't save the new version under a new name it gets wiped out. But the newly saved version is fine on this site.

Nick_G05/10/2014 20:15:02
1808 forum posts
744 photos

I went for a flying lesson that was won in a raffle.

"Chocks away, everything was tickety-boo and we did not prang the kite. Truly spiffing."

Nick

Martin Cottrell05/10/2014 20:32:33
297 forum posts
18 photos

This afternoon I fitted a new Transwave 3ph 2hp motor kit to my Warco 1232 lathe. Instructions were very easy for a non-sparky like myself to follow and I soon had it fitted and running. On initial start up I couldn't believe how quiet the new motor is compared to the original one. The soft start is a dream, accelerating the motor up to selected speed over a 6 second period. With the old motor on the slowest gearbox speed I was getting 75 rpm at the chuck which was much too fast for skimming the 17.75" diameter rear wheel rims for my Little Samson traction engine. Now I can slow the speed down to about 25 rpm with no discernible loss of torque and face the rims quite happily. The only downside is it takes forever to do each traverse with a feed rate of 0.006"/rev at 25 rpm!

Martin Cottrell05/10/2014 20:50:31
297 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Nick_G on 05/10/2014 20:15:02:

I went for a flying lesson that was won in a raffle.

"Chocks away, everything was tickety-boo and we did not prang the kite. Truly spiffing."

Nick

Reminded me of one of my favourite lines from Blackadder goes Forth ".....bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines, capture, torture, escape then back home in time for tea & medals!" I had a similar lesson a few years ago and have to agree it was "truly spiffing" old boy!

Martin.

Michael Gilligan05/10/2014 21:38:22
16644 forum posts
725 photos

Went to the Bugsworth Steam Event, this afternoon.

... Small but delightful.

Amongst the Engines was this; believed to be one of the earliest Steam Ploughing Engines in captivity/

p1180814_s.jpg

More pictures in my Bugsworth Album ... and other engines, etc. to follow.

MichaelG.

"Bill Hancox"06/10/2014 04:41:20
256 forum posts
76 photos

Bugger! RNBRA 22 LR 50 M modified target rifle championship twice previously postponed was cancelled for good yesterday. Will run again next year. Burned off quite a bit of high end Lapua ammo in practice for that match.

Clean up today in the shop. Discovered a few long lost and forgotten unfinished projects and a few mislaid tools. Now that I have gathered them all together, I have quite a number and variety of hammers (perhaps not as many as Graham - Oompa Loompa) Took a break to run out to the grocer to buy a nice prime rib roast (I do all the cooking). Dinner was fit for royalty. Roast beef and gravy with Yorkshire pudding, new potatoes, fresh yellow beans and home made pickles. Topped it all off with lemon crunch pie, french vanilla ice cream and Red Rose tea. Now back to the shop for more clean up (Burrrp), maybe work some of it off. Off ruffed grouse hunting on the Bombardier ATV tomorrow. Will be packing roast beef sandwiches for the trip. Only a 25 minute drive from my house to hundreds of square miles of crown land wilderness area where I do my trout fishing and partridge hunting. Must get out and check the zero on my deer rifles later in the week. Retired life is good.

Bill

Oompa Lumpa06/10/2014 08:53:37
888 forum posts
36 photos

Hey Bill, the guy who owns my favourite tool shop now puts hammers that are "interesting" to one side for me to look at when I go in. Do you think I have a problem?

Anyway, I haven't done it yet today but at nine promptly I will be phoning the Doctors to get an appointment. Third night in a row I have hardly slept because of toothache/earache. It is an ongoing problem of a jaw infection - it is really bloody painful. I have that many really Heavy Duty painkillers inside me I am not so sure I should even be driving. Yes, THAT bad

Then later on this afternoon I have to take my wife's favourite painting to be re-framed. She has no idea but bloody Ted decided it might taste nice so for whatever reason he knocked it off the wall and proceeded to eat the frame. Just what the barmy animal was thinking ........... It is oil on canvas and if he had damaged the painting itself my ass would be grass. His too! Anyhow Bill she is in your part of the world at the moment so I have to work fast!

painting.jpg

graham.

Neil Wyatt06/10/2014 09:57:08
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

I think the image issue is definitely one connected to meta-data being split from the file, but I will ask Katy to investigate.

> Third night in a row I have hardly slept because of toothache/earache. It is an ongoing problem of a jaw infection - it is really bloody painful. I have that many really Heavy Duty painkillers inside me I am not so sure I should even be driving. Yes, THAT bad

I once had a jaw x-ray. My dentist called in the dentist from the room next door and showed him the picture, he said "Mr Wyatt says his tooth feels a bit numb". The reply was "He should be rolling on the floor, screaming".

The x-ray showed a granuloma that had made a hole the size of a 5p piece in my jaw, with a nerve passing across it as a thin, white line.

The surgeon who cleaned it out said it was the most disgusting operation she had ever performed.

Sorry to rub your nose in it, Graham. On the positive side, be glad you haven't got a labrador, latest puppy has eaten two leather sofas, the one that's reached the sensible stage ate things like walls and TV remotes.

Neil

Neil Wyatt06/10/2014 10:03:30
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Aha!

Smart phones add a jpeg tag to images so some programs (including W8 but not earlier versions) display them in the correct rotation.

If the image is then rotated and viewed in a program that doesn't look at the tag, the image will appear in an unexpected rotation. Presumably the forum software doesn't look at the rotation tag, and probably can't be made to do so without deep changes.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest