Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Muzzer03/10/2014 07:04:47
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Interesting stuff! What's the 3rd one down? Some form of juvenile bird of prey or just a close-up of a sparrow? And what's that funny mutant piebald crow? We don't see beasts like that in the UK (or Canada).

Murray

Bill Pudney03/10/2014 07:46:59
471 forum posts
16 photos

Well done Danny....sleeping soundly zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cheers

Bill

Clive Hartland03/10/2014 07:47:09
2617 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Ric, i do know that when I go to the Apiary in the orchard that mossys hang about me! There is standing water as the bees need water all the time and I have 2 tubs with absorbent materiel that I top up every day. I do have bees, both Honey and Bumble that hang about my garage after the smell of honey in storage there. They often come in while i work on frames and settle on the boxes hoping for a free feed.

News on that small swarm I took, it has eggs, I checked yesterday and they are very busy drawing comb. I did not have time to search it for the Queen but will do that next time I am there. Unfortunately I have another hive that is failing, again a swarm that did not start of too well and it is now dwindling and one of the workers is laying eggs so I will wait and see if dies off.

Clive

OuBallie03/10/2014 09:27:33
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Blue mountain area Danny?

That Preying Mantis looks like it could do with a nosh up.

Brilliant colours those birds have.

Geoff - FeedRodMotor nearly done.

Nicholas Farr03/10/2014 11:45:00
2480 forum posts
1198 photos

Hi, yesterday I had a day out in London along with my brother and some of his students, part of the day included a Thames river trip, where upon I was fasinated by how neatly a boat was towing three barges, two of which were side by side and the third one following behind. The front two were attached to the boat by a rope in a V formation. The whole issue just sailing along nicely as we slowly passed it by.

barge1.jpg

barge2.jpg

barge3.jpg

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/10/2014 11:46:14

Neil Wyatt03/10/2014 19:16:25
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Ruth and David Archer to leave Ambridge? AAARGH!

Neil

martin perman03/10/2014 19:51:20
1891 forum posts
78 photos

Neil,

Youv'e ruined my weekend now, I usually listen to all of the programme's on Sunday morning, I suppose there heading north to her Mum.

Martin P

Ian P03/10/2014 19:54:31
2439 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by martin perman on 03/10/2014 19:51:20:

Neil,

Youv'e ruined my weekend now, I usually listen to all of the programme's on Sunday morning, I suppose there heading north to her Mum.

Martin P

Its a good job we are all individuals, Neil has made my weekend.

I'm waiting for the Archers to leave the BBC!

only edited for typos

Edited By Ian Phillips on 03/10/2014 19:55:16

Ian P03/10/2014 19:57:53
2439 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 03/10/2014 11:45:00:

Hi, yesterday I had a day out in London along with my brother and some of his students, part of the day included a Thames river trip, where upon I was fasinated by how neatly a boat was towing three barges, two of which were side by side and the third one following behind. The front two were attached to the boat by a rope in a V formation. The whole issue just sailing along nicely as we slowly passed it by.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 03/10/2014 11:46:14

That would be a tricky configuration to get into a parking space! (Or if the skipper needed to do a three point turn)

Ian P

Danny M2Z03/10/2014 20:26:36
892 forum posts
283 photos
Posted by OuBallie on 03/10/2014 09:27:33:

Blue mountain area Danny?

Mt Bogong is in Victoria. I live on the NSW-Vic border. It was a cold clear morning. The snow topped mountain is actually 70km away.

The clear air and lowish humidity here has the benefit that workshop rust is not a problem. Just a light spray with Inox is all that's required to keep the lathe bed shiny.

The bird on the weather-vane is a magpie. I feed them so they leave me alone, but woe-betide anybody passing on a bicycle - they are swooping at the moment.

A family of swallows has moved in, they are fascinating to watch.

* Danny M *the swallows in residence.jpg

Johnboy2503/10/2014 20:51:24
259 forum posts
3 photos

Today I continued levelling my Bridgeport milling machine. (I had it a while and thought I'd better do this as I only roughly levelled it when I installed it sometime ago!) I been using a Starrett machine level - that needed a bit of tweeting to ensure it was reading correctly. That in itself took some fiddling to get it sorted. The mill has a base casting which is about 1/2" thick with no obvious points to sit it down on. But there is a notch in centre at the front where you can put a lever bar to assist raising it to get some packing under... After several attempts of raising and lowering and finally chasing my tail a few times, using the machine level and several pieces of packing used as shims, I manage to get as close as I could to level in both axises. Now that I've got it level I'll grout it using two part epoxy filler. This whole exercise has lead me to wonder if there is a better way to do this. Perhaps acquiring some suitable machine feet (the non compressible versions - if they exist!) with some jacking arrangement. I've got some ideas to be getting on with.

John

Raymond Sanderson 204/10/2014 00:03:26
449 forum posts
127 photos
Posted by Danny M2Z on 03/10/2014 06:07:29:

What did I do today? What a sweet topic.....

So today I organised a few photos taken from around the house and the antipodean garden. Absolutely nothing to do with model engineering except that in times of stress it is nice to relax and ponder on the wonders of nature that give one but a fleeting glimpse of a beautiful world.

If somebody, somewhere enjoys them then I shall sleep soundly.

Regards * Danny M *

mt bogong on a clear day from the lounge room.jpg

Danny would that be Mount Feathertop? A beautiful area down there Kiewa Valley, Bright. I have driven a number of Coach tours through there during Autumn when the colours are out and Spring, the drive up to Mnt Beauty etc glorious.

That Tawny Frog Mouth must be friendly uncle used to be able to hand feed one up round Tea Gardens.

Muzzer04/10/2014 04:44:24
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Johnboy

This is what I did with my BP clone. My garage floor is neither flat nor horizontal, so each time I move it I have to re-level it. I like to move my stuff around periodically as my focus flits to my latest fad. I bought 4 resilient mounts for about a tenner (UK) each. Fitting them wasn't completely straightforward but hardly a challenge.

The 4 holes in the base don't extend down to floor level in mine and I'm guessing that's typical for most BPs and clones. So I had to machine up 4 spacers about 4" long to transfer the weight of the machine from the feet to the underside of the base casting, then make some female locking bolts to hold the feet in place from above. Works nicely and you can easily access the adjuster nuts. Now you just loosen off the locking bolt, hold the nut and bolt from turning and spin the foot up or down, then lock again.

Once again we can marvel at super lovin' Windows 8.1. No matter what I do with the photos here, W8 knows better in the end, so they are stuck in what I'm guessing is the original orientation of the iPhone that took them. W7 works fine but I only have access to a W8 machine. I recently paid $70 extra to get W7 on a recent laptop purchase for one of the boys in preference to the default W8.

Murray

Michael Gilligan04/10/2014 08:25:53
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 04/10/2014 04:44:24:

Once again we can marvel at super lovin' Windows 8.1. No matter what I do with the photos here, W8 knows better in the end, so they are stuck in what I'm guessing is the original orientation of the iPhone that took them. W7 works fine but I only have access to a W8 machine. I recently paid $70 extra to get W7 on a recent laptop purchase for one of the boys in preference to the default W8.

Never mind, Murray ... Windoze 10 is on its way.

devil

MichaelG.

jason udall04/10/2014 09:15:49
2028 forum posts
41 photos

Wondos 10?.

....I guess w9 will go the way od windows 2.

NJH04/10/2014 10:20:41
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Well

As a loyal user of Windows PC's since version 3 the time has come to upgrade my Win 7 machine. ( I had the "blue screen of death" a couple of weeks ago - thankfully fixed by a useful engineer who warned that he thought the hard drive was probably on the way out ) .

All my kids are dedicated veggies ( ie they like Apples!) and they are always saying " For goodness sake Dad - get a Mac." ) This time I think I will take their advice.

Norman

Michael Gilligan04/10/2014 10:28:29
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by jason udall on 04/10/2014 09:15:49:

Wondos 10?.

Yes, it's confirmed in the article I linked.

... I think they were worried that there might be some misunderstanding amongst German-speakers

MichaelG.

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 04/10/2014 10:53:04

Neil Wyatt04/10/2014 10:40:59
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

> That Tawny Frog Mouth must be friendly uncle used to be able to hand feed one up round Tea Gardens.

Looks very much like a nightjar aka goatsucker or caprimulgus.

Murray-

If you rotate photos in the Windows photo viewer it doesn't rotate them, as this reduces (for jpegs) the quality. Instead a file in the same directory called thumbs.db remembers the orientation. If you want permanent rotation, use a proper editor!

Neil

Bazyle04/10/2014 11:09:05
5571 forum posts
207 photos

I would imagine the reason the holes do not incorporate mounting pads is that the machine is not designed to be supported at the corners but under the column and table screw by packing with weak grout. The Elliott manual mentions grouting after levelling even though it has full pads at the corners.

Neil Wyatt04/10/2014 12:02:33
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Yesterday I used some fRichard Stacey's sandstone flags to make amuch neater looking base for Norden:

Before:

Norden old base

After:

norden new base.jpg

Just need to touch up the finish on the wooden bit.

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest