Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Neil Wyatt22/09/2014 14:50:02
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

I was disappointed that two of my Ebay GU10 LED lamps failed early admittedly running about 15 hours a day, (which is why I wanted LEDs).

The failure mode was interesting, one LED fails. On the first few starts the lamp flashes, then runs rather dim. After a few time, it just runs dim.

I assume that the 'dead' LED gets a full 240V AC across it and slowly arcs and vapourises until it chars internally and becomes a resistor, allowing the rest of the LEDs to work at reduced current.

With two this way i had a go at prising off the front lens, glued in two places. Slightly chipped the first but the second came off easily using a Stanley blade.

The LEDs are fairly large (3mm) SMT devices with clear polarity markings, so I swapped a good one from one for a "bad 'un" in the other and reattached the lens with a couple of drops of superglue. 100% success. I'll probably choose slightly more expensive ones in future, but even so, I now know that they can be resurrected and I have a healthy supply of LEDs for any with the same number of units.

Still struck by how much brighter these are than the original 35W halogen spots, especially as now running one of these on a temporary basis as I'm one lamp down.

Neil

Clive Hartland22/09/2014 14:57:09
2617 forum posts
40 photos

I have not posted about the bees for a while, but at dinnertime today i almost walked into a small swarm of bees in an apple tree along side the Apiary.It was small and I have decided to do nothing about them as they cannot survive, a Virgin Queen needs a Drone or several actually and there are none! If it is cold tonight they will likely dissipate and go home. I have never yet got a late swarm through the winter and be any good as after 12 days or so the Queen will be a Drone layer and no use at all.

Other wise the bees are feeding heavily on the Ivy crowns plus a lot more insects like hover flies and even wasps. Its their last chance to top up for winter. I may be able to take some more honey but the ivy honey is not universally liked.

Clive

Ed Duffner22/09/2014 14:58:33
811 forum posts
91 photos

Have been making some swarf on my new WM-180 lathe. Also looking at some CNC kits on Ebay and wondering what I might need for the WM-16 with regard to motor size.

Speedy Builder522/09/2014 17:21:53
2145 forum posts
152 photos

Clive, as you elude to:-

A swarm in May is worth a heap of Hay

A swarm in june is worth a silver spoon

A swarm in July is only worth a fly,

So In September its anyones guess. Our bees are on the ivy as well. Last year I posed a question on a bee forum as I had put the anti varoa treatment in the hive before the ivy crop had finished and asked if this honey would be OK to eat. Anyway, we did eat it the next season and it was very good (a bit strong in taste).

BobH

Ps this season's crop has not been very good and have lost a couple of hives.

Boiler Bri22/09/2014 18:33:47
835 forum posts
197 photos

It was 'swarm' in Criccieth today, so I knocked through a wall nearly 2 foot thick made from random granite stone. I am tired doing this so how the chaps felt after making it in the first place god only knows.

bri

Neil Wyatt23/09/2014 16:17:53
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

For a short break, I made up a Dapol/Airfix kit - the Booth of Rodley 15T diesel crane. It's abeautifully planned and produced kit.

Apparently this is the prototype and the BR versions didn't have bogies.

Neil

booth rodley 15t c rane 4.jpg

Edited By Neil Wyatt on 23/09/2014 16:20:18

Mike23/09/2014 16:53:16
713 forum posts
6 photos

Changing the subject, and not so much what I did today as what I did four days ago, because I'm only just home in the far north of Scotland. Went to Falkirk, west of Edinburgh, to see the famous Falkirk Wheel canal boat lift, then further along the canal to see the Kelpies - the huge horses' head statues. Both are fine works of art as well as feats of engineering. Do go if you can - you won't be disappointed - and if it's too far to travel, Google the details. Well, I was hugely impressed.....

Clive Hartland23/09/2014 17:05:03
2617 forum posts
40 photos

I went back today to pick some more cooking apples and found the swarm still hanging in the apple tree. I took pity on them and took them by cutting the branch they were hanging on and i put them in an empty Nuc. box. Thurs. I will go back and put a frame of wax in with them. No hope of survival at all but I cannot see them dwindle in front of me! Otherwise all the hives were flying well and still working the Ivy where there were crowned berries.

Clive

"Bill Hancox"23/09/2014 19:53:56
256 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Boiler Bri on 22/09/2014 18:33:47:

It was 'swarm' in Criccieth today, so I knocked through a wall nearly 2 foot thick made from random granite stone. I am tired doing this so how the chaps felt after making it in the first place god only knows

I take great pleasure in taking a goggle on google of some of the place names I see posted. Today, I took a pictorial trip to Criccieth in Wales. Absolutely magnificent little coastal town with "granite stone" architectural history at every turn in the road. Great photos also of splendidly preserved railway stock.

Bill

David Colwill24/09/2014 13:31:32
679 forum posts
34 photos

After an epic workshop shift around I started on the first of need sorting out machines, the Denford Triac. The old computer had failed so I had to get a new one up and running. Although I have copies of everything it has still been a traumatic time as I couldn't remember where various files needed to go etc etc. I had a brief panic when I couldn't find the tool changer macro but finally it's done smile p .

Interesting stuff about the LED lamps. I only use them when they are out of the way or enclosed. The version that I had ( see my post free lights ) had no metal parts exposed but even so were extremely flimsy. There is much to be said for ripping them apart and running them on low voltage.

Regards.

David.

Boiler Bri24/09/2014 19:34:58
835 forum posts
197 photos

Bill, thank you for taking the time to investigate my post, I have been going to Criccieth for the last 30 years, 8 years ago I sold my motor home and owt I had to buy a cottage there.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer, I had it removed and during my recuperation in wales, visited Llandudno. Northwales model engineers had their portable track up and running in aid of the lifeboat. I joined there and then being made more welcome than any club I had visited local to my home in Huddersfield. Little did I know they had just been given notice to move off their long standing site where their fixed track was. The track was lifted and the site made good. What followed was a move to the west shore. When I saw the proposed site my heart sank, little or no money in the club and a massive task ahead.

Now three years on, a completed loop, the traverser installed, the steaming bay's concrete base laid today all 9.3 cu mts of it. Light at the end of the tunnel you could say.

The club and it's membership is growing and overcoming its problems of lack of cash.

Next year with any luck will see official club running days. Ah the future......

Bri

http://youtu.be/UEbsCC_mBbw

Tony one of our club members has a few videos of the build if you care to look him up on YouTube

Edited By Boiler Bri on 24/09/2014 19:38:42

julian atkins25/09/2014 00:13:48
1235 forum posts
353 photos

dsc00785.jpgi had a go this evening at making the copper cap for my 5"g terrier STEPNEY out of solid copper.

tricky stuff to turn! im not quite happy with the profile yet, and the beading at the base of the cap is yet to be turned to finished size.

cheers,

julian

dsc00784.jpg

"Bill Hancox"25/09/2014 02:05:54
256 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Boiler Bri on 24/09/2014 19:34:58:

Bill, thank you for taking the time to investigate my post, I have been going to Criccieth for the last 30 years, 8 years ago I sold my motor home and owt I had to buy a cottage there.

Now three years on, a completed loop, the traverser installed, the steaming bay's concrete base laid today all 9.3 cu mts of it. Light at the end of the tunnel you could say

Bri

I watched the video tonight. Great club turnout for the concrete pour and a nicely finished job. I certainly hope that your club enjoys steaming up at the new location. Land in the UK for such activities is certainly getting more difficult to come by with each passing year. Good Luck with the cottage. You made a very good choice selling the motor home and investing in that.

Cheers

Bill

Neil Wyatt25/09/2014 15:35:18
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Do you ever do something and REALLY wish you hadn't bothered...

Neil <

Versaboss25/09/2014 22:57:50
458 forum posts
51 photos

Changing the theme a bit... to what I did today.

made my first steps into anodizing. I'm happy to tell that it went quite well cool :

img_20140925_223645 (small).jpg

It might interest someone that I didn't use the usual 20 % sulphuric acid. Instead I prepared a mix of 2 liters distilled H2O, about 400 grams of PhMinus salt and 100 grams of liquid PhMinus. These two products are used for treating swimming pool water and are easily obtainable. I think the liquid is sulphuric acid, but only about 10%, and the cristalline is Sodium-Hydrogene-sulphate. I added the liquid form only because first I had no current flowing; later iI found out the culprit was the Alu wire I used for suspending the sample. I changed the wire to a Titanium wire and set for around 200 mA for this small item (with a lab power supply). I found a value of 10 mA per cm2 in the online literature, seems that's a good number!

The colour - is magenta ink for a inkjet printer! First thinned down, then I put a bit of the concentrated stuff on with a small paintbrush. Btw the dark spot near the hole is just a picture artefact

A couple of these famous (for anodizing) Dylon textile colours are already under way for the next trials!

Kind regards,

HansR.

Edited By Versaboss on 25/09/2014 22:59:21

HobbyNut26/09/2014 15:51:08
113 forum posts
93 photos

latest pic.jpgI did a little work on this prior to fall setting in.

Edited By HobbyNut on 26/09/2014 15:52:37

Neil Wyatt26/09/2014 17:46:05
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Most of the LED-related discussion (including on CE marks) has been moved here:

**LINK**

No posts have been intentionally deleted, if this makes a few comments seem out of context or I have lost posts, my apologies.

Neil

Michael Gilligan26/09/2014 18:25:18
16644 forum posts
725 photos

Thanks Neil

MichaelG.

Michael Gilligan26/09/2014 18:27:33
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by HobbyNut on 26/09/2014 15:51:08:

I did a little work on this prior to fall setting in.

That's nice !! ... Tell us all about it.

MichaelG.

Clive Hartland26/09/2014 21:20:17
2617 forum posts
40 photos

While I was suited up putting the frame of wax into that swarm I decided to look into a main hive alongside it. There I found they had filled 2 honey boxes so i can go back later and take 1 of them. Knowing that that Hive has sealed combs then I am sure there will be other hives with honey too. It looks as if i will be busy again spinning out honey.

Given a few days i will look back into that little swarm and see whether it is a Virgin Queen or an older Queen, easy to see if she has laid eggs.

Clivve

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest