By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Nov 17

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Howard Lewis12/09/2014 12:04:08
1464 forum posts

Reply to Bill Hancox re the rubber roof.

Wouldn't think that the rubber came from recycled tyres.

EPDM is a material often used for coolant hoses on engines, so would expect it to have a completely different composition. No need to have different Shore hardness, or coefficients of friction, just resistance to oils, glycol, high temperatures etc.

The roof on the garage and utility room has survived well for about twenty years, (in U.K.) so the workshop roof will definitely outlast me!

And it was surprisingly easy to put into place, although a second person to help with the unwieldy bits (Helping to hold the Trims, even on this small size roof) of the job is very useful.

Re comments about smell of plasticiser; NO problems like that with the previous EPDM roof.

Neighbours had glassfibre to replace felt, that did smell for a while, and someone got the levels wrong; so some big puddles!

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 12/09/2014 12:06:24

V8Eng12/09/2014 19:32:00
1178 forum posts
20 photos

I took the Wife to Hospital for a routine check up, then we went into a nearby town and spotted this:

modded sept xmas.jpg

Later on while doing a bit of Supermarket shopping we noticed some Christmas selection boxes on sale.

Got home to a sunny garden and some butterflies on flowers, been a strange sort of day!

Edited By V8Eng on 12/09/2014 19:34:06

Muzzer12/09/2014 21:03:51
2904 forum posts
448 photos

Wondering what EDPM rubber is all about, I looked it up on Wikipedia. That did the trick and I was lost almost in the first sentence. Must have been written by a chemist! However, it seems to be used in cars for door seals, hoses etc as Howard mentioned. Seems the service temp range is around -50C ... +150C and it "does not pollute the run-off rainwater" when used for roofing.

**LINK**

Murray

Michael Gilligan12/09/2014 21:29:27
11911 forum posts
518 photos
Posted by Muzzer on 12/09/2014 21:03:51:

Wondering what EDPM rubber is all about ...

Murray,

For info.

We had our shed roof done about five years ago, and it has been superb.

Survived -16°C winter conditions O.K.

MichaelG.

John Baguley12/09/2014 21:40:19
408 forum posts
43 photos

EDPM is used for pond liners as well so must be pretty safe around water. I bought one recently for a wild llife pond.

John

Andrew Johnston14/09/2014 20:25:05
4155 forum posts
502 photos

I have spent a few late evenings over the last week modelling the gear change mechanism for my traction engines, as some important dimensions were missing from the drawings and other dimensions seem to be in the realms of fantasy. As drawn, in neutral, one pinion gear had 0.01" clearance from its associated ring gear, while the other had 0.3" clearance. smile o

Having re-designed the gear change mechanism in CAD I thought I'd assemble a model of same to sanity check reality. So I 3D printed a set of parts and assembled them on the real engine:

3d printed gear change mechanism.jpg

Basically it all seems to work as I think it should, the picture shows low gear engaged. I was going to continue and start cutting metal, but why bother? Since I'm going to be modelling the rest of the engine anyway I might as well miss out the tedium of handle twiddling in the workshop and 3D print the parts. wink 2

Regards,

Andrew

Nicholas Farr15/09/2014 00:24:23
1675 forum posts
858 photos

Hi, today (Sunday afternoon) I went into King's Lynn to look round the classic cars at the towns open Heritage Day **LINK** and http://www.kingslynnonline.com/2014/09/over-200-vehicles-expected-for-classic-car-day

As well as all the usual suspects from the 50's-70's there were a few vintage cars, but in particular the one remaining car of six built by Cooper, the split roller bearing company based in South Lynn.

Cooper 1.jpg

This car was built in 1909 and is rarely on public desplay.

A few more views of it can be seen here **LINK**

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 15/09/2014 00:36:09

Speedy Builder516/09/2014 16:23:15
1589 forum posts
109 photos

Today, the washing M/c engineer arrived (Wash M/c under guarantee). It had jetted about 30 litres of water over the kitchen floor before anyone realised it had gone wrong. On inspection, he found an old 'RAC' yale key had been 'shot' through the plastic casing after being picked up by the spinning drum. Unfortunately not covered by the guarantee or his time for the callout. Estimated repair cost in excess of 440 euros plus 65 for the callout.

Now, which grandson of mine lost an RAC key, and who didn't check his pockets before washing??? Cos its strange that a key like that should turn up in SW France - It certainly wasn't me !!

Anyway, check out E-bay if you want secondhand components as we had to buy a new machine - no more new tools for me before Christmas I suppose.

BobH

Neil Wyatt16/09/2014 20:57:15
14723 forum posts
628 photos
72 articles

Finished painting the 'frame' for my driving truck. The anti-rust primer underneath was dead cheap from Lidl - CAR by Baufix, and was dream to use and covered really well and evenly. Topped off with black Hammerite 'garage paint' goes on like glue and takes days to dry.At least it makes it hard for people to tell which lumps are paint ruins and which are bad welds.

Quite pleased with the simple design, especially for dual height footrests.

Just the brake to finish now.

In bits at the moment, so photos when it's all done.

Neil

Lathejack18/09/2014 00:50:39
215 forum posts
271 photos

Cylinder.I can't think why, but i recently rescued this old 1956 vintage Atco mower, i must have just felt sorry for it. The broken cylinder top fin was repaired using a piece of 3mm mild steel I shaped and Tig welded in place.Cylinder.

Danny M2Z18/09/2014 13:34:06
652 forum posts
265 photos

G'day. Benefits of living in the bush.

Looked out of the workshop window saw these two lovely natives.

* Danny M *through the workshop window.jpg

Lathejack18/09/2014 19:39:00
215 forum posts
271 photos

Danny.

What a view to have while in the workshop, I just wish I hade some windows.

Neil Wyatt19/09/2014 14:12:24
14723 forum posts
628 photos
72 articles

Very nice Danny,

Parts of they UK have some of your ring-necked parakeets - would you swap?

Last night, just as the sun was going down and three cattle egrets flew over, like three Japanese fans in formation. Not something I ever expected to see from my garden, mind you the water to the West nearby means the birds I see are as varied as aircraft looking for the missing power station cooling towers to the East!

Neil

Windy19/09/2014 19:40:31
690 forum posts
197 photos

Had a hectic time sorting the steamer problems I did an hydraulic test on the generator at about 2000lbs there was a pop.

Normaly it's safe at 4000lbs pressure test.

It was at the feed water pipe end at the last regatta after a high speed disaster then runs after that the so called cool end feed pipe had swollen with the excessive heat.

Must have been weeping after that disaster as pump was iffy when tubing hot have found in the past some defects in tubing only come to light when it is hot or at 2000lbs test pressure.

Lost 18inches but it will not be too critical as it is small diameter and not the larger main pipe coil.

Then fitted new inlet valve and had to make another set of tappet shims to set timing etc.

New Dykes piston ring on the piston then run on lathe at 2000rpm to bed it in.

Sorting the fuel and water pump valves now.

Tomorrow will assemble the various units in the hydro hull then reset all the various aerodynamic angles.

Then Sunday my last speed attempts of 2014 at Kingsbury Water Park.

Bob Kirtley will be there hopefully he will have his steamer on form after problems with pistons.

Paul

Boiler Bri20/09/2014 18:46:12
684 forum posts
272 photos

Been on west shore at Llandudno helping with the laying of rubble on stage three of the track build. No public running today unfortunately, the battery driven loco had a main board fault.

Next Wednesday we have a concrete delivery coming to fill up the steaming bay base. Then if the concrete is ok by the following Saturday we will put the turntable in the centre and concrete that in.

Bri

OuBallie21/09/2014 10:18:28
1115 forum posts
649 photos

Yesterday made good progress with the FeedRodMotor mounting plate for the BH600G.

Ready to start threading the spacer rods, only to find the Tailstock locking lever just spinning merrily, with not a hint of 'lock'.

'Oh bother!' said I. Remove a shelf and 'junk' (her indoor's not my description) that was preventing the Tailstock from being removed, and the offending lump of CI was on the bench for inspection.

IF I had been bothered to spend a minute checking the Manual, I would have seen that the nut holding the Clamping Block had probably unwound, and it had.

Tailstock back in position and then hands squeezed in to turn the nut till the locking lever did as designed.

Brain in gear for once, and 'That nut is going to unwind again at some inopportune moment'.

Tailstock off again. An M12 Clambing Bolt, a stud, holds the Clamping Plate in position, with only a couple of threads showing past the nut so no hope of a lock nut, but I don't have a beast that size in any case.

Out came a punch and one of the bolt threads deformed such that I couldn't unscrew the nut by hand.

I could have used a suitable grade of Loctite, but the bolt and nut where oily and I just wasn't @rsed to take them apart to clean, being that I'd spent nearly all day in the Garage/Workshop, and this after recovering from that flipping head cold.

Back onto the Carriage went the Tailstock and it locked up as before so I could finish threading those rods.

Job done for the day.

Geoff - Ready for Workshop duty

Cornish Jack21/09/2014 11:29:55
821 forum posts
102 photos

Took a photo of the beginning of a trench!!embarrassed

Anorak-ish?? Maybe, but it was the FIRST remedial work on the remains of the house destroyed in last December's 'surge' and quite important 'cos it's the sea-wall! If the '100 year' theory is correct, I won't be around for its next test but fingers crossed ... neighbour's similar wall had to be knocked down and rebuilt 'cos it was crap building!! Great joy!!

Rgds

Bill

Michael Gilligan21/09/2014 11:38:01
11911 forum posts
518 photos
Posted by Cornish Jack on 21/09/2014 11:29:55:

Took a photo of the beginning of a trench!!embarrassed

Hope it all goes well for you, Bill.

.... This should be an interesting "build" to follow.

MichaelG.

Four stroke Fred22/09/2014 09:33:31
89 forum posts
92 photos

image.jpgToday I finished making the magneto for the Saunderson & Mills tractor. It is actually a dummy as the the innards work a Hall effect transistor but it does have an advance and retard worked by a lever. The body is cast in aluminium and the horizontal shaft runs in two small ball races and carries the slotted disc to "drive" the transistor.The lever is connected to the governor control via cone clutches. This allows both the lever to the governor and the ignition to be moved together and independently. The drive to the magneto is taken by bevel gears from the vertical shaft and now runs at engine speed.

George.

Bazyle22/09/2014 13:40:53
4167 forum posts
171 photos

Found a nice end mill box in a skip in my road that had previously been used for crayons with a moulded plastic tray. Frustrated by solid oak bookcase in there that is firmly wedged by a ton of junk on its shelves. How annoying.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Sarik
Shapiro
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
Warco
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest