Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Shepherd10/09/2014 15:56:48
216 forum posts
7 photos

Used the Alum trick for the first time today to dissolve a broken 1.6mm drill from a bronze casting. The use of a saturated solution of Alum for removal of broken taps and drills in non ferrous metal is well documented but still amazed me when it worked so well.

I put the Alum solution and casting in a glass bowl and placed it in a water bath in the wife's ceramic 'Crock Pot' and cooked it for a couple of hours. According to what I have read I could have left it in a cold solution overnight but having won the argument to use the Crock Pot, it had to be used.

Clive Hartland10/09/2014 16:44:40
2617 forum posts
40 photos

Today I aquired a Sigma 600mm reflex lens to match my Canon AE1, been busy checking out how it works and have now put a film in the camera and tomorrow will do a test around the place to see how it performs. It obviously needs a tripod or a bean bag to steady it. It is the longest focal length lens I have now, previously it was a 280mm Leica lens for my R6. I do have doublers for both cameras. It will be a bit of a change going back to film and I hope I can get it developed.

Clive

OuBallie10/09/2014 16:46:54
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Richard,

Tyre tracks are there

The ground looks rock hard though, explaining lack of.

Geoff - Just surfaced from a kip in the armchair.

Bazyle10/09/2014 17:42:40
5571 forum posts
207 photos

Too late for Clive but thick felt is available from Piano parts suppliers.

Neil Wyatt10/09/2014 18:48:33
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

I have a 500mm Centon mirror lens. I never used it that much in my transparency days, I'm not really sure why. Made much more use of my budget Prinz Galaxy 400mm.

Back in the 80s I went to the National Museum of Wales for a wildlife talk, but the speaker didn't turn up and the day was 'rescued' by someone who showed two carousels of their American holiday snaps. Endless pictures of small and occasionally colourful birds all against a leafy background pierced by dozens of doughnut shaped highlights! Obviously a mirror lens user.

Neil

Steve F10/09/2014 19:27:15
79 forum posts
22 photos

Take a lump of cast iron and turn it into a flywheel. Then make another laugh. I am a beginner having previously made a marine engine. My second project is a flame gulper. I wanted a pair of flywheels with curved spokes. I followed instructions in the book "The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos". I'm really happy with the result smiley

dscn1271.jpg

A bit more than a days work !

regards

Steve

Steve Withnell10/09/2014 19:27:37
821 forum posts
217 photos

Got fed up with my old netbook taking for ever to load Win7. Spent 30 minutes loading an unofficial version of Chromium OS and now I can post stupid remarks in under a minute from power on! Only bug to fix is the scaling on the mouse pointer...

Steve

Martin Cottrell10/09/2014 21:00:44
297 forum posts
18 photos
Posted by Richard Marks on 10/09/2014 09:30:31:

The tractor picture is a fake! where are the tyre tracks?

Funny, I was just thinking the exact same thing! Also, on closer inspection one would expect to see some soil on & between the tyre treads but they look rather too clean to me. This has all the makings of a NASA moon landing type conspiracy theory; did Lathejack really till that field with his MF 135 or has he photoshopped it into some random field and forgotten to add some vital pieces to the jigsaw of deception?!

Martin.

Oompa Lumpa10/09/2014 21:15:21
888 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 10/09/2014 17:42:40:

Too late for Clive but thick felt is available from Piano parts suppliers.

That is very helpful. I am restoring a Hydrovane compressor and need some thick felt. Now to find a piano parts supplier

graham.

ChrisH10/09/2014 23:35:30
892 forum posts
29 photos

John,

What is the Alum trick, and what will get rid of a broken tap in ferrous material? Don't ask why I want to know!

Chris

john kennedy 111/09/2014 06:33:03
214 forum posts
24 photos

Bought my felt for making wipers here http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=felt

JasonB11/09/2014 07:31:43
19129 forum posts
2105 photos
1 articles
Posted by ChrisH on 10/09/2014 23:35:30:

John,

What is the Alum trick, and what will get rid of a broken tap in ferrous material? Don't ask why I want to know!

Chris

No, the Alum disolves the ferrous tap so will also disolve what you have broken it off insad

Andrew Johnston11/09/2014 13:19:14
5735 forum posts
661 photos

I fixed the CNC mill so that the spindle didn't stop part way through a cut. RIP a brand new 6mm carbide cutter. crying 2 Turned out to be an iffy connector masquerading as an industrial connector, which is why the new one is a different colour in this photo:

control_board.jpg

I also took the opportunity to change a crimp that was fractured. I finished the milling I needed to do for an RF test jig, so the client is now a happy bunny.

Regards,

Andrew

Edited By Andrew Johnston on 11/09/2014 13:19:50

Rik Shaw11/09/2014 15:49:28
1370 forum posts
373 photos

I started using alum crystal as a deodorant six years ago after I developed a nasty allergy to normal deodorant spray so I was a bit concerned about it being able to dissolve taps - - - - - or me.

I have just taken a mirror and peered prudently (pitwise) .......................perfect !!!! yes

Rik - - - axillary relieved.

Edited By Rik Shaw on 11/09/2014 15:52:46

Ian S C11/09/2014 17:09:48
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Spent the day making a new letter box, the old one is just about at its use by date, this one has a wider letter slot so that my Model Engineer can go in without being folded. Ian S C

Boiler Bri11/09/2014 17:20:35
835 forum posts
197 photos

Spent the day at work as usual and was pulling my hair out as usual cos as usual at work, people do not do what you ask them to do as usual!,,

Enough said, back to my con rod.

B

Windy11/09/2014 22:41:37
795 forum posts
157 photos

Been checking the flash steam engine dimensions after last weekends 2 day regatta at Rowden it seems to be in good condition.

After a very hairy first run at over 120 mph it took off flying vertical and then landed level only for the prop on touching the water causing the nose to go under the water and aborted the timed run.

A fellow competitor video it with a 100 fps camera and I saw the whole run in slow motion.

Managed a further 3 timed runs around the 110 mph but pumps not working right will have to make some filters as foreign matter gets in the fuel and water tanks if the hydro becomes a submarine.

The freebie digital angle gage I got with my mag subscription some years ago has been a Godsend as I tried altering various angles on canards and rear wings at the meeting to try to stop it taking off on checking the angles at home on the bench it was all correct.

Bob Kirtley's steamer did 115 mph after replacing a broken poppet valve a well deserved win.

Not long to go before our last meeting of 2014 at Kingsbury Water Park and hoping to sort the bugs on the new 2014 hydro.

Paul

Windy12/09/2014 09:09:45
795 forum posts
157 photos

Photo courtesy of Mick Biddle.

Look at the torque reaction on the rear fins the prop is 4 inches in diameter

2014 jdms regatta 06.jpg

Posted by Windy on 11/09/2014 22:41:37:

Been checking the flash steam engine dimensions after last weekends 2 day regatta at Rowden it seems to be in good condition.

After a very hairy first run at over 120 mph it took off flying vertical and then landed level only for the prop on touching the water causing the nose to go under the water and aborted the timed run.

A fellow competitor video it with a 100 fps camera and I saw the whole run in slow motion.

Managed a further 3 timed runs around the 110 mph but pumps not working right will have to make some filters as foreign matter gets in the fuel and water tanks if the hydro becomes a submarine.

The freebie digital angle gage I got with my mag subscription some years ago has been a Godsend as I tried altering various angles on canards and rear wings at the meeting to try to stop it taking off on checking the angles at home on the bench it was all correct.

Bob Kirtley's steamer did 115 mph after replacing a broken poppet valve a well deserved win.

Not long to go before our last meeting of 2014 at Kingsbury Water Park and hoping to sort the bugs on the new 2014 hydro.

Paul

Michael Gilligan12/09/2014 09:19:59
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by Windy on 12/09/2014 09:09:45:

Photo courtesy of Mick Biddle.

Amazing picture !!

Astonishing machine !!

MichaelG

Howard Lewis12/09/2014 12:04:08
3783 forum posts
3 photos

Reply to Bill Hancox re the rubber roof.

Wouldn't think that the rubber came from recycled tyres.

EPDM is a material often used for coolant hoses on engines, so would expect it to have a completely different composition. No need to have different Shore hardness, or coefficients of friction, just resistance to oils, glycol, high temperatures etc.

The roof on the garage and utility room has survived well for about twenty years, (in U.K.) so the workshop roof will definitely outlast me!

And it was surprisingly easy to put into place, although a second person to help with the unwieldy bits (Helping to hold the Trims, even on this small size roof) of the job is very useful.

Re comments about smell of plasticiser; NO problems like that with the previous EPDM roof.

Neighbours had glassfibre to replace felt, that did smell for a while, and someone got the levels wrong; so some big puddles!

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 12/09/2014 12:06:24

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest