Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
OuBallie07/09/2014 00:14:19
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Drilling machine:

Swopped the aluminum tray that I had originally bolted to the right hand side of the table, to the left hand side.

It was just to too inconvenient where it was as it obstructed easy operation of the table rack, and having the cutting fluid bottle on the 'wrong' side for LH application, was an even bigger PITA.

The space problem I thought I had proved to be fallacious, as I could swing said table well out of the way.

May still fit another tray on the right though, as it's proved very useful.

Geoff - Clogged sinuses = dry mouth = disturbed sleep = feeling like a zombie

Danny M2Z07/09/2014 05:09:57
892 forum posts
283 photos
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 06/09/2014 22:44:39:

s1030488.jpg

The word Wally springs to mind.

What on earth did you manage to do to cause that? Enquiring minds want to know. DTI's ain't cheap.

* Danny M *

Nicholas Farr07/09/2014 07:13:50
2480 forum posts
1198 photos

Hi Danny M, had my back to the lathe while moving some wood and caught it with my elbow and knocked it onto the floor. Serves me right, I should have put it away when I'd finished with it the other day.

Regards Nick.

David Colwill07/09/2014 10:05:26
678 forum posts
34 photos

Who says DTI's aren't cheap I got one for £11.79 including postage, made by that well known firm Mitutogo. I do have an expensive copy though, it's made by some Japanese company of a similar name. smile p

Regards.

David.

Bazyle07/09/2014 13:20:31
5571 forum posts
207 photos

Today I have had a memorable birthday at the Bulla Hill railway run by the Tullamarine model engineers. An absolutely huge track in 10 acres and about a mile long with about 20 steaming bays for 7 in let alone the 5 in facilities. The people there were very friendly

Edited By Bazyle on 07/09/2014 13:21:42

Bazyle07/09/2014 13:33:00
5571 forum posts
207 photos

Continuing above.....especially Andrew M who showed me around their facilities and workshops. A membership of only 70 keep it all running for fortnightly public days with club meetings too.

I also managed to have a chat with John Mc but not actually meet him this trip.

John McNamara07/09/2014 14:17:03
1313 forum posts
113 photos

And a very enjoyable Chat it was too.

Bazyle08/09/2014 02:23:28
5571 forum posts
207 photos

about to get on plane back home. Au revoir Australia. Now to look forward to the St Albans club exhibition on the last day of September.

HobbyNut08/09/2014 06:52:58
113 forum posts
93 photos

I made a Con rod for a Lister

rod finished.jpg

Howard Lewis08/09/2014 22:32:45
3783 forum posts
3 photos

And now for something completely different!

Replaced the mineral felt on the workshop roof with EPDM rubber.

The felt was the original, just on eleven years old and beginning to show signs of imminent failure

With a guaranteed life of 20 years, and an expected life of 50 (Just like the garage and utility room roof) I should never have to worry about keeping out the weather again!

My experience was of placing the order at 1545 on 2nd September 2014, and receiving the materials, and fitting kit at 0835 on 4th September 2014, so prompt service.

There were more than sufficient materials to apply the EPDM rubber and the trims, (even the nails) using the leaflet supplied as a follow up to the video on the website.

The work was quite straightforward, taking less than a day, (unhurried with a long lunchbreak) to apply the rubber and trims to a 3.2 x 2.2 metre roof; and the end result is quite pleasing.

Have never dealt with Rubber4Roofs, here in UK, but am pleased with the experience.

The time taker was removing the old felt and the bitumen holding it place. It took two of us with heat guns and scrapers nearly four hours to remove it. And half as long to clean up everything afterwards.

With hindsight, it would have been much quicker, having removed the felt, to remove the 12mm ply boards, invert , and screw them back into place. We would have aligned the edges better, and so not had to plane the edges to bring them level with the 50mm framing. Hope that I shall not need to remember that for a next time.

Experience is what enables you to recognise the mistake the next time that you make it!

If I could get a picture to paste, you would be able to see the result, although it is really pretty boring!

Howard

Four stroke Fred09/09/2014 09:43:29
137 forum posts
137 photos

Good Day HobbyNut,

The Lister con rod looks good as does the rest of the engine. Keep up the good work.

George.

Bazyle09/09/2014 20:42:57
5571 forum posts
207 photos

My loft extension had a plastic 'felt' when I bought the house. In summer it stank of plastic as the plasticiser evaporated and the edges curled up until it leaked. Replaced with proper old fashioned felt. While the company still exists get the names and addresses of the directors ......

Jack Foreman 109/09/2014 21:59:44
99 forum posts
17 photos

I made two spacers and clamp plates to attach a large 'V' belt pulley to my faceplate. The first job I've done which required working to reasonably tight tolerances. Also the first time that I've used the faceplate. Centered the pulley on the plate OK - bored a 19mm hole - bored it out to exactly 1" ( I got it to within one thou.) Made a sleeve to fit the pulley shaft and turned the sleeve to fit the one inch pulley hole. It all fitted precisely. So my Mk1 Myford now has 6 speeds, as I was told it had when I bought it [only to find that the back gears didn't, and couldn't possibly, work] Comparing it with the Bantam [I don't have a rev counter] I now have a Myford lathe, in good condition, ready for sale with a speed range of approx. 300 - 1600 RPM.
I also took the backplate off the Myford small three jaw chuck and set it up in the Bantam chuck, clocking it for true [another 1st for me], accurately re-machined the register so that the chuck runs true now. This was my first time of removing the spindle jaws and replacing with the external jaws on the Bantam three jaw chuck. Not the ordeal that I expected it to be.
So, a productive day. And a learning day too.
Elementary to you guys, I'm sure. But another significant milestone day for me. emotion

Edited By Jack Foreman 1 on 09/09/2014 22:03:32

Lathejack10/09/2014 00:05:05
288 forum posts
328 photos

sdc10236.jpgA busy day today. I managed to find a bit of spare time in the workshop so I finished off these two pistons for the Red Wing engine.

The one with two piston ring grooves is the earlier type shown on my drawings from LA Servicessdc10274.jpg. The piston with three grooves is the type from the later revised drawings. This later type has two piston rings and one rubber O ring to help retain oil in the cylinder.

Finished the day off by doing some work on the land with my classic 1970 MF135 tractor, almost 45 years old and still working perfectly.

"Bill Hancox"10/09/2014 01:31:47
256 forum posts
76 photos

A few days ago I was visiting a large DIY shop in a nearby city. I happened to spot these hard rubber rollers among the boat trailer accessories @ $4.95 CAD each X 4. I reckoned they would, with some minor work, make suitable pads for the bench that I made for my Speed 10. I had originally used ice hockey pucks but found that if I took a sudden lurch with the blind staggers and bumped into the bench, the pucks would move slightly on the smooth concrete floor. When I constructed the bench, I welded 1/2"X13TPI nuts to the bottom of each leg. to allow for adjustment so no additional work required there. Small boat trailer rollers come with a 1/2" bore.

parts.jpg

As-purchased roller. Note they allow for a 1/2" bolt and washer to be installed in a recessed manner when building a boat trailer. I turned four 1 3/4"x1/2"X3/8" aluminum bushes to fit the recesses so as to better distribute the weight. 3/4"X2 3/4" mild hex was turned to 1/2"X1" on one end which kept the bottom 1/4" from the base of the rubber to allow for unknown compression. 1/2" was left intact for a spanner and the remaining 1 1/4" was turned and threaded 1/2"X13TPI, sufficient for adjustment on the relatively level floor while allowing for the addition of a lock nut..

assembled.jpg

The completed assembly ready to thread into the bottom of the bench leg. The lock nut has been added to secure the adjustment once the bench has been leveled.

installed.jpg

The pad installed. Initial compression of the rubber appears to be in the range of 1/32" at the tailstock end and slightly more at the headstock end. The rubber really grabs the concrete floor. The pad would not budge when I gave it a substantial push. Free ally and hex so total cost about $25 CAD. It will be interesting to see how the pads react to compressive forces over time. Me likes 'em.

Bill

"Bill Hancox"10/09/2014 01:43:35
256 forum posts
76 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/09/2014 22:32:45:

And now for something completely different!

Replaced the mineral felt on the workshop roof with EPDM rubber.

Very interesting Howard. Is the rubber manufactured from recycled tires? I am considering a recycled tire product to replace my asphalt shingled roof. The shingles are 14 years old and rated for 30 years but by the looks of them I would say they did their product testing in Mexico.

Hmmm! I wonder how far the hail stones will bounce.

Cheers

Bill

Richard Marks10/09/2014 09:30:31
199 forum posts
8 photos

The tractor picture is a fake! where are the tyre tracks?

OuBallie10/09/2014 13:53:39
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Signature says it all, so 'End of the World is Nigh!'

Yesterday made the remote station for the FeedRodMotor, and now waiting for a DPDT toggle switch to wire up. It will be mounted on the Apron where the SpindleLever used to be.

This morning started figuring out how to get the motor mounted onto the Rod End Cap, but grey matter was behaving like a recalcitrant three year old by taking ages to tell me to REMOVE the Cap, thus making it much easier to work on/with.

Steel plate cut to mount motor and its enclosure on, with a 38mm hole drilled in the enclosure allowing it to slide over the motor, but by then I'd had enough so retired inside to relax.

Geoff - Suffering from a cold courtesy of GD I think

HobbyNut10/09/2014 15:40:42
113 forum posts
93 photos
Posted by Four stroke Fred on 09/09/2014 09:43:29:

Good Day HobbyNut,

The Lister con rod looks good as does the rest of the engine. Keep up the good work.

George.

Thanks George. This is for the cast version that I am machining up.

Clive Barker10/09/2014 15:44:11
47 forum posts
29 photos

Today continued the restoration of Super 7. Fitted new felt wipers to my Super 7 and ML7. Reluctantly shelled out to purchase from supplier having failed to source 6mm felt to make my own. Also tackling the tailstock deciding what can be cleaned up and what needs more radical attention. Good to know that the major work bed, saddle, new homemade leadscrew etc have all been successfully completed.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest