Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
daveb04/09/2014 22:45:38
624 forum posts
10 photos
Posted by Clive Hartland on 01/09/2014 15:15:31:

On Friday last I posted about my work partner and his eye problem. Today he was at work and he told me all about it. It seems that he had just returned from a week in Cornwall and woke up unable to see out of his right eye. The eye was milky/cloudy.

Visited the A & E and was transitted to the Eye Hospital, diagnosis was Anterior Uveitis, i read up about and it is worrying. He is at work today and can see about 50 ft with that eye and his left eye is fine. He has some gubbins to put in the eye. He has no patch!

Clive

I had a very similar experience last year, woke up one morning and got as far as the bathroom before I realised I couldn't see properly out of my left eye, vague shadows and colour but like looking through a thick fog. Went to eye hospital, doctor diagnosed an infection, most likely HS1. I commented that I had never had any Herpes symptoms, ever. He said that it could be very easily picked up, from a shower for example. Much to my relief, the prescribed drops cured the problem within a few days.

Dave

Clive Hartland05/09/2014 08:08:02
2617 forum posts
40 photos

Thats interesting Dave, as he had been on holiday and may have picked up an infection from where he stayed! He seems fine now with his sight improving every day which is a great relief to him as he, like me works on optical equipment for a living.

Clive

Stovepipe05/09/2014 10:44:10
196 forum posts

Smashing result for both of you, Clive and Dave.

Dennis

V8Eng05/09/2014 13:23:17
1484 forum posts
30 photos

Well I've wasted most of the day so far trying to get my CCTV viewable (again) on my Mobile Phone and WiFi iPad.

It used to work and suddenly stopped but still works on my 2 PCs via WiFi.

I went on the phone company online help system for the traditional 'very long wait' eventually a person came online,after several exchanges they ended up suggesting I contact the CCTV Co, their helpline seems to be shut.

Great way to waste a morning!!

Scott05/09/2014 14:14:11
52 forum posts
10 photos

Not using the Super Live app for your CCTV by any chance are you?

V8Eng05/09/2014 16:47:17
1484 forum posts
30 photos

Hi Scott.

Never heard of that one.

I had to stop working on it probably until Monday, then I will use the suppliers phone help (free if under an hour).

The system is recording etc, so not quite the major hassle that it first seemed to be.

Edited By V8Eng on 05/09/2014 16:48:20

Oompa Lumpa05/09/2014 21:13:12
888 forum posts
36 photos

Today I had a bit of a play with my Proportional Dividers as I had to make a new screw for them (lost it, can't be helped some days) and the thought occurred to me that I have never heard mention of them on here? I find them quite useful and a great shortcut some days.

Also, my new Dumont Tweezers arrived, but that is another story.

graham.

Michael Gilligan05/09/2014 21:23:15
16644 forum posts
725 photos
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 05/09/2014 21:13:12:

Today I had a bit of a play with my Proportional Dividers ... and the thought occurred to me that I have never heard mention of them on here?

Predictable enough, Graham

Many people here have no sense of proportion. devil

MichaelG.

Neil Wyatt05/09/2014 21:47:08
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

Funnily enough I sketched out a plan for a pair and sent it to a reader who had contacted me complaining he struggled to scale from drawings in the magazine. I'll see if Stub Mandrel could be persuaded to make a half-decent drawing for a 'weekend project'.

I finished (aside from paint) a 9" high step-up box for my driving car. It seems to be strong enough, even though it's mostly 1/4" ply. I think I will add a few braces to make sure it doesn't dump me unceremoniously under a side load.

I still have to decide on footrests - any advice on how wide a gap I need between uprights to suit the majority of raised 5" gauge tracks? I have Alan Bibby's 1998 versatile driving truck series... but it's 'somewhere' and it predates the ME archive.

And... BIINGO... I got an online offer from First Direct and for the first time ever I scored a couple of free concert tickets! My daughter can take a friend to see Jake Bugg in Leeds, shame not to keep them for me and my wife really as he's a pretty decent musician for a youngster - heavily influenced by Neil Young and Bob Dylan!

Neil

Oompa Lumpa05/09/2014 22:20:57
888 forum posts
36 photos
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 05/09/2014 21:23:15:
Posted by Oompa Lumpa on 05/09/2014 21:13:12:

Today I had a bit of a play with my Proportional Dividers ... and the thought occurred to me that I have never heard mention of them on here?

Predictable enough, Graham

Many people here have no sense of proportion. devil

MichaelG.

Very good Michael. I see you have spent the day sharpening your wits

devil

graham.

Raymond Sanderson 206/09/2014 01:25:11
449 forum posts
127 photos

Weather wise yesterday was a disaster but the day improved when LOML returned from her spinners and weavers group. I knew one lovely Stanley UK made No4 was coming but not the 4 books from one of the other members.

Tomorrow here in Australia is Fathers Day so to all those Australian members Happy Fathers Day may the day be full of things you desire for the workshop.

Ray

Four stroke Fred06/09/2014 09:44:16
137 forum posts
137 photos

image.jpgToday I have been working on the drive to the magneto and distributor of the Saunderson & Mills tractor. This area also contains the governor and all the controls - still some work to do as they all have to line up and work. The two levers are for the advance / retard and governor and are linked with friction clutches with spring pressure. The photo looks as though the engine has been painted with a hammer finish paint. This is the effect of taking a photo quite late in the afternoon light! It looks as though the project is near the end but it will take quite some time to detail all the parts, have the engine running and then paint the model. I hope to complete the tractor by Christmas.

George.

Bob Brown 106/09/2014 11:33:14
1016 forum posts
127 photos

Not quite today more like this week, progress on workshop/garage

Made some progress on the walls, first lift inner leaf with insulation attached and made a start on the brick work.

Bob

55.jpg

Involute Curve06/09/2014 13:55:11
337 forum posts
107 photos

Managed to get the miller into the workshop, the Hiab lifted it 11 mtrs reach and over a tree 8mts tall, which is now missing a limb, the only other downside was, I got so wrapped up watching I forgot to take some pics, but its in now what a relief, I will not be moving agian.......... ever......

Anyone know about workshop ergonomics, I want to make best use of the space I have, I now have all the main equipment in, big miller 50"x 14" table, small miller 30"x8" table, Harrison lathe, Clarkson grinder, welding equip, Tig, Mig, & Gas, + associated bottles, oh and the bike build table, I just need to lay it out as best I can before bringing all the small stuff in.......

Shaun

Bob Brown 106/09/2014 14:22:54
1016 forum posts
127 photos

Shaun,

probably going to be in a similar position, Boxford lathe, big and little milling machines etc.

My intention is to put the lathe along the back wall with a work bench to the left, the longer wall will have the two milling machines along it and grinders and welding kit along the same wall but away from the main machines or at least as far as a 6 + meter wall allows. May well have a play with some cut out and a grid to see how best to lay them out. Will be leaving enough space to fit a 4 post lift if I decide to fit one on the left.

Bob

Neil Wyatt06/09/2014 15:35:02
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

The best job I ever did on a kitchen, I made little cardboard boxes for each unit/fridge/cooker/washing machine etc. and laid them all out on a scale 'map' of the kitchen with doors etc. marked on it.

I've since used a CAD-type approach for a bathroom and a couple of goes at the kitchen in the new house, but the cardboard approach was easiest (and my wife could 'read' the model a lot better than one of my plans!

I suppose the ideal is to 3D-print a little version of the workshop!

Neil

David Colwill06/09/2014 15:46:14
679 forum posts
34 photos

The task for today is to try to get the 3D printer printing nylon (no easy task).

I too am in the process of altering my workshop around an have made a 1;20 scale plywood floor plan and a pile of paper cutouts. It seems by far the best approach and it is much easier to move the paper around than the machines themselves.

Regards.

David.

Involute Curve06/09/2014 17:37:23
337 forum posts
107 photos

Hiya, played with this software and it works, some of the machines icons are a little different but it allows you to move stuff around and get a good idea of how it will look, and how much space will be left for other stuff.......

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/shopplanner/v1-4/1/shopplanner.html

HTH

Shaun

jason udall06/09/2014 18:30:54
2028 forum posts
41 photos

Re nylon...remember to dry it in oven first...

Nicholas Farr06/09/2014 22:44:39
2480 forum posts
1198 photos

s1030488.jpg

The word Wally springs to mind.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest