Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What did you do today? (2014)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Trice30/08/2014 00:40:01
1362 forum posts
9 photos

I took the plunge yesterday and bought a Newton Tesla Speed Control package for my Super 7 which arrived this afternoon and is already fitted. Very impressive piece of kit and worth every penny. I've lost the 12 volt feed for the Myford worklight but I've got another 230 volt worklight I can substitute.

Les Jones 130/08/2014 08:36:37
2171 forum posts
149 photos

Hi Chris,
Why don't you retain the 12 volt light and buy a 12 volt lighting transformer from Screwfix or Toolstation. For example this one.

Les.

OuBallie30/08/2014 09:26:09
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Chris,

You have done the right thing!

It will transform the lathe, as I found out with mine.

Did you get the remote station as well?

Now fit a clutch!

Geoff - How did I manage before fitting the clutch?

JohnF30/08/2014 10:05:16
1026 forum posts
143 photos

Geoff, which clutch do you mean? Presumably not the the main spindle clutch which is of course standard on the S7

John

Chris Trice30/08/2014 11:38:50
1362 forum posts
9 photos
Geoff, it's got a clutch as standard. Les, thanks for the link. I might drop by Screwfix later today as that's an option.
Raymond Sanderson 231/08/2014 08:35:57
449 forum posts
127 photos

What a beautiful day 22C shed time all going well............then a visit to the WC went to wash hands and no pressure from the hot water a small squirt was all I got. Checked other taps silch nothing although cold water was ok.
HUM gas hot water service, don't tell me its sprung a leak? Nope its gone out and will not restart auto sut off has closed it all off.

Tried ringing Estate Agent as we are renting, closed Sunday, tried Estate manager still nothing. So sent SMS and emails including to Landlord 1rh later no reply so tried all numbers again finally got onto Principle of Estate agent and landlord (who said ring estate agent DOH why didn't I think of that).
Its Sunday finally call from someone who cares the estate manager she has located emergency plumber and he's over 50k's away and no idea when he'll be able to get here.

Maybe I should ring Asia ???

It put paid to a good afternoon in the workshop no good getting all hot and smelly and not being able to shower tonight.

OuBallie31/08/2014 10:22:01
1150 forum posts
661 photos

Any clutch that could be fitted.

Just showing my ignorance with regards to Myford

Geoff - I must keep it zipped before checking facts

Nick_G31/08/2014 14:37:34
1808 forum posts
744 photos
Posted by Raymond Sanderson 2 on 31/08/2014 08:35:57:

no pressure from the hot water a small squirt was all I got. Checked other taps silch nothing although cold water was ok.

Is it a combination boiler.?

Has the pressure in it dropped.? If it is a 'combi' boiler there will be a pressure guage on it. This should show a pressure of about between 1 - 2 bar. If this has dropped the boiler will auto shut off.

There is normally a 'filling loop' close to the boiler if this is the case. Repressurise by opening the filling loop valve until the pressure rises again. (don't forget to turn off when pressure has increased)

It may of course be something totally different that is at fault. - But this is a common one.!

Nick

Les Jones 131/08/2014 15:36:23
2171 forum posts
149 photos

Hi Nick,
If the combi boiler was not pressurised it would only stop the hot water from being heated (And the central heating from working.) it would not change the flow. We would need to know the type of system to diagnose the problem. If it was the old type of system with a header tank and hot water storage cylinder then I would suspect the ball operated valve that fills the header tank or a lot of dirt in the header tank blocking the outlet.

Les.

Raymond Sanderson 231/08/2014 22:44:55
449 forum posts
127 photos

Nick & Les its a natural gas system the gas has stopped producing heat can not be re-started. Plumber coming today to see what is wrong.

Nicholas Farr31/08/2014 23:25:28
2480 forum posts
1198 photos

Hi, this afternoon I went and saw a bit of engineering that JS really loves. Heres a clue in this picture below.

76084a.jpg

This next one should give you a good idea.

7820.jpg

Yes it's a Steam Gala and it was at the North Norfolk Railway,

7820 and 45305.jpg

A few more picture can be seen at this **LINK**

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 31/08/2014 23:30:54

Howard Lewis01/09/2014 12:21:50
3783 forum posts
3 photos

Just a comment re BUBBLE's oil pump gears.

Hopefully, the gears are not too tight a mesh.

Many years ago, at Rolls Royce, we found that some long, external ERW lub. oil pipes were "ringing" and and eventually splitting!

Instrumenting the oil pump delivery showed transient spikes of 600 psi, although the gauge was only indicating 60 psi. The problem was caused by the gears being such a close fit. The solution was to increase the tooth clearance very slightly, allowing a little leakage, which the pump could easily tolerate because of its over capacity.

At the same time, the pressure relief valve was changed from a poppet type to a plunger, using the plunger/bore clearance as a damping orifice.

Reference improving oil pressure by lapping the end cover flat, to reduce leakage.

The Skoda 100 Series engine gear type oil pump had shims between the baseplate and the body. Removing one of these shims, and sealing with Hylomar restored the oil pressure to within the quoted limits.

Howard

Clive Hartland01/09/2014 15:15:31
2617 forum posts
40 photos

On Friday last I posted about my work partner and his eye problem. Today he was at work and he told me all about it. It seems that he had just returned from a week in Cornwall and woke up unable to see out of his right eye. The eye was milky/cloudy.

Visited the A & E and was transitted to the Eye Hospital, diagnosis was Anterior Uveitis, i read up about and it is worrying. He is at work today and can see about 50 ft with that eye and his left eye is fine. He has some gubbins to put in the eye. He has no patch!

Clive

Gray01/09/2014 22:41:47
1038 forum posts
13 photos

Managed to get a bit more work done on the Quorn TC grinder,

After the second hand parvalux motor packed up I dug out an old 1/8th hp pump motor, it had a plastic front mounting/bearing housing so decided to replace it with one made from aluminium

old-motor front mount

motor original

replace with..

new motor mount plate

motor with new mount plate

and a bit more work on the centre finder

centre finder

centre finder parts

Next on the agenda is a new tilting bracket as the original is in a pretty poor state

Also rewired the motor so it is now reversible.

Hopefully once the treatment  starts to take effect and the pain subsides, I will be able to get back to the heavy stuff on the traction engines wink

CB

Edited By CoalBurner on 01/09/2014 22:44:55

Raymond Sanderson 202/09/2014 00:55:24
449 forum posts
127 photos

For me yesterday an interesting day. Further progress on spinning wheel No2. A visit from the plumber to rectify the hot water service. Wich he had to come back a few hours latter as i still was not coming out the tap.Seems not only did the safety bi-mteal strip stop the pilot light from being re-lit but some how there was a blockage in the pipe at the tap.

A visit from a mate also into OT Rose engine work, bring me a much needed piece of English oak for a leg for the spinning wheel.

It being a bright sunny day meant a good day in the workshop.

_Paul_02/09/2014 13:12:17
543 forum posts
31 photos

Finally got round to modifying my Spindex so I can use it directly in the mill vice rather than have to clamp it to something or other.

Paul

Lathejack03/09/2014 13:01:44
288 forum posts
328 photos

What am I doing today? No time to spare in the workshop as I have got to take the other half to the Burghley Horse Trials for the week.....Sigh!!

"Bill Hancox"04/09/2014 01:37:38
256 forum posts
76 photos

Out to the range today for the first time since my Dad took sick in February. He passed away on June 30 and I have been busy doing paper work, pension stuff etc for Mom. Nice that there is no inheritance tax here in New Brunswick. The Royal New Brunswick Rifle Association 22 LR modified target rifle championship match is coming up on Sep 13. The match is fired at 50 M; prone; using a front rest. I take great pleasure in shooting this annual match with my vintage Remington Model 37 Rangemaster which is equipped with a 20X Lyman Targetmaster scope. The clarity of these scopes is fantastic with the micrometer adjustable parallax and about 2 " of ocular lens adjustment. The rifle was built in July 1950. The scope dates from the same time period. I normally finish 2nd to 4th. Two years ago I would have won by a large margin if I had not cross fired on my own target (we use the 6-target ISU). When I score well, I enjoy poking fun at my shooting buddies who are using more modern Walther and Anschutz rifles equipped with high end optics. Also tested a new load for the Mini 14 using the 60 gr Nosler partitioned bullet. Only 2" groups at 100 yds but good enough for the coyotes that I sometimes come across on my fishing trips. Still, better accuracy than many of the AR 15 clones that many of the club members own.

Bazyle04/09/2014 10:07:46
5571 forum posts
207 photos

Just had a cup of tea from my souvenir mug from puffing billy railway. Great day out on NG line as recommended to me by john mac. Little 2-6-0 Ozzy copy of Baldwin loco rather like an L & B loco would have been.

Neil Wyatt04/09/2014 21:24:17
18322 forum posts
718 photos
77 articles

I got some quotes on car insurance. As working from home has greatly reduced my annual mileage and I no longer have to battle rush hour traffic, my premium has nearly halved!

Made some progress on a wooden box to allow my driving truck to be 'elevated' by 9 1/2" for ground level use. Still can't make up my mind about the footrests. Do I hang them off the seat or have swappable ones on the chassis?

Neil

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest