5068 forum posts
3 photos

Made a few division plates today.

wink

Bob Perkins04/01/2014 19:08:42
249 forum posts
60 photos

image.jpgimage.jpg

I used my spring loaded tapping guide for the first time today. I should have bought one ages ago. I did a bit on my Stuart 10V. It's good to get the standard off the faceplate it seems to have been on there for weeks!

Edited By Bob Perkins on 04/01/2014 19:10:49

Stub Mandrel04/01/2014 20:25:44
4311 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

HI Merry,

A bit late for you now, but did you consider using a playstation-type game controller? bewildering numbers of buttons plus a left and right analogue thumb-joysticks. Alternatively an old-fashioned gaming joystick with 'POV chinese hat'?

Neil

Muzzer04/01/2014 21:47:13
2904 forum posts
448 photos

I didn't, to be honest. I saw these being used on some of the professional support forums for the likes of Solidworks and Solid Edge. Then I saw that they were only $100 and that pretty much did it. It only has 2 buttons (which you don't even need to use) and the rest is just the little black tower thing. Push, pull, twist and nudge, all in one.

Interestingly, our PCB layout boys at work use them (Altium) but our mech engineers don't (Solidworks). Dunno if there is a lesson to be learnt but so far it seems to be quite a useful tool. The mechies are probably just stuck in their ways! Without it I have to keep interrupting feature edits to pan, zoom or rotate. Now I can manipulate the model with my left hand without interrupting the work flow that's happening with my right (normal mouse).

It also integrates with other applications such as Google Earth, so you can fly about like a bird - should the urge grab you. There are drivers for most of the obvious 3D applications as well as some training applets. Highly recommended.

Merry

Muzzer04/01/2014 21:52:56
2904 forum posts
448 photos
Posted by John Stevenson on 04/01/2014 18:25:46:

Made a few division plates today.

wink

John - how do you make these and what material? Dunno if you really made all of them from scratch in one day(?) but even if you didn't, the right method would make a big difference to the time - and time is money.

I'd guess you got the plate cut (laser or water), then some form of CNC machining for the features, with or without some form of turning operation in between, depending on what facilities you have? Not something you want to be doing manually I could imagine.

I'd love to know how you do this. Excellent finish, BTW!

Murray

John Alexander Stewart04/01/2014 22:02:11
800 forum posts
53 photos

CNC KX1 would balk at cutting steel with a 6mm cutter, so disassemble headstock, tighten bearings, now to head back to the shop to put it all back together...

Maintenance - sigh. Was working on a set of Hemingway/Thomas rolls, but that'll be put off for a week as I need to source new steel for the side frames, and some more 6mm end mills without the tooth edges chattered off (crossing fingers that the spindle tightening did it - will re-check with the test indicator after reassembly)

John Alexander Stewart05/01/2014 03:16:42
800 forum posts
53 photos
Posted by John Alexander Stewart on 04/01/2014 22:02:11:

CNC KX1 would balk at cutting steel with a 6mm cutter, so disassemble headstock, tighten bearings, now to head back to the shop to put it all back together...

Maintenance - sigh. Was working on a set of Hemingway/Thomas rolls, but that'll be put off for a week as I need to source new steel for the side frames, and some more 6mm end mills without the tooth edges chattered off (crossing fingers that the spindle tightening did it - will re-check with the test indicator after reassembly)

Well, KX1 back together, spindle much better. Have to figure out how best to cut mild steel with this machine; figured out:

a) plunge cutting not a great idea as it is a lot to cut out at a time;

b) it'll be cheaper getting these side parts water jet cut - looked up my local supplier of end mills, and prices have just gone up 20%...

Anyway, when the mill was doing its stuff tonight, I got the old Unimat CNC lathe out, set up, and am working through getting the CAM parameters ok for it (cutting brass, for now)

Time for a beer… John.

DMB05/01/2014 09:32:59
1093 forum posts
Wot did I do? Same as every day - look in vain for 4472 + now 4473 to turn up in snailmail. Subs 'expires' in May but on continuous anyway. Yours, fed up !
JasonB05/01/2014 19:42:06
20474 forum posts
2269 photos
1 articles

I can imagine that John's workshop looks a bit like one of those plate ballancing acts were he frantically rushes from one CNC mill to the next to keep them all productive by changing blanks, tools and restarting programmes all the time trying not to drop a division plate or let a machine stand idlewink 2

I finished the machining of the Monitor crankcase save for boring the bearings, Need to go through the drawings now and alter a lot of parts as the casting is too narrow by about 1/8" which means I cant swing the crank withing the casting as it is now let alone get the bearing flanges in.

The position for the side cover fixing was a bit optimistic on the drawings which put it where the pen ring is not where the hole in the actual cover comes

Also machined up a backplate and mounted a nearly new 5C collet chuck that I got for a very reasonable swap.

J

Andrew Johnston05/01/2014 21:16:23
6016 forum posts
670 photos

Due to the wind and rain it meant no gardening or flying this weekend, so workshop time instead. I finished machining the final drive gears and winding drums for my traction engines:

final_drive_gear_blanks.jpg

I just need to fettle the unmachined parts (I know I should have done that first), cut a couple of keyways and then cut all the gear teeth. Also had a massive clear up of the lathe, mill and floor after turning these gear blanks and the flywheels. I've now got a bucket full (literally) of cast iron swarf.

Regards,

Andrew

Lathejack07/01/2014 03:32:30
302 forum posts
329 photos

I have been making a new stairway for a 1946 A.E.C. Bus for a customer at work, copying the rotten original.

And at last got a bit of spare time from working to do a bit more to the Red Wing engine.Progress, but slow.001.jpge.

Stub Mandrel07/01/2014 17:11:24
4311 forum posts
291 photos
1 articles

Stairway to heaven

Sounds like nice work if you can get it - and a nice piece of work at the end too!

Neil

Ian S C08/01/2014 10:13:27
7468 forum posts
230 photos

The old one looks more holy! Ian S C

Nicholas Farr08/01/2014 19:00:09
2733 forum posts
1262 photos

Hi Lathejack, you should get a bit of rise by the time you weld the top step.

Nice job.

Regards Nick.

GaryM08/01/2014 21:20:18
314 forum posts
44 photos

Not today but over the Christmas break had poor or non-existent internet connection due to faulty phone line (now replaced by BT).

However, I did manage to do my first bit of heat treatment, case-hardening the eccentric sheave for the S50 engine, which seemed to go well apart from one surprising moment when a flame appeared from the joint between the neck tube and the handle of the brand new Sievert torch. I'd checked the connection to the cylinder that I made but assumed the hose, handle, neck tube and burner were assembled tightly by the factory.surprise

Also, my first use of a slitting saw to cut the eccentric strap. Why they put teeth all the way round when only one or two seemed to do the cutting though, is anybody's guess. wink

Sorry no photos at present.

Gary

John Alexander Stewart08/01/2014 22:27:24
800 forum posts
53 photos

My Unimat SL CNC lathe now has a relay to turn spindle on/off, easy setup in LinuxCNC.

Last club meeting devolved into ball turning - and the easiest method.

I hope to bring out my CNC lathe and show how to turn balls while pontificating and drinking coffee!

Still have to put the spindle on/off control on my blog, but some earlier stuff on the Unimat SL CNC lathe if anyone is interested:

**LINK**

and, in the search window top left, enter "unimat" and hit the magnifying glass symbol.

I'll try updating the blog later on tonight.

John.

Ian S C09/01/2014 11:58:25
7468 forum posts
230 photos

Gary, if you put slitting saw in the search window, you'll find a number of people have had the same problem, starting with "Slitting Saw Woes" back on 10/6/09. Ian S C

John Alexander Stewart09/01/2014 15:14:41
800 forum posts
53 photos

Put some pics of my lathe on my blog;

**LINK**

here's one of the lathe from my newly created album on this site:

ul3.jpg

I'm still excited like a kid with this CNC stuff - hopefully it'll never become "old hat".

John.

Andrew Johnston09/01/2014 15:22:40
6016 forum posts
670 photos
Posted by GaryM on 08/01/2014 21:20:18:

Why they put teeth all the way round when only one or two seemed to do the cutting though, is anybody's guess. wink

Because you don't know which two it is going to be. teeth 2

Andrew

Mr Moo09/01/2014 20:25:49
22 forum posts

if anybody every asks you to help remove the carpet from an E46 3 series BMW, politly refuse! get there in the end but just got to reinstall the dash et al tomorrow. Then take it all back out next week once the carpet is clean and dry. Im now of to sit in the corner and cry into my pint of homebrew.......

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest