Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Annealing cast iron

in a woodburner

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bazyle17/12/2013 14:10:10
5688 forum posts
208 photos

I have some small castings in my small woodburner at the moment. They are small and max thickness about half inch. They only get to a dull red and i'm not going to thrash the fire to get hotter but time is not a problem.

So how long? Will it be enough at dull red as I read suggestions of more like bright red for an hour or so.

I have in the past tried a bit of sash weight in this fire and it didn't make any difference but that may just have been the cruddy nature of the sample.

jason udall17/12/2013 14:39:51
2029 forum posts
41 photos
Dull red to me seems a bit low...but why not cycle and test ( file? )...

I think soak time won't help if not above critical temp...all soaking really does is allow the whole sample to attain temp.
The phase change chemistry happens at a critical temp...and no amount of soaking below that will help...
Nicholas Farr17/12/2013 19:37:34
2538 forum posts
1205 photos

Hi Bazyle, I agree with Jason that dull red is a bit low.When I had a Parkray I used to get it burning fairly well and then get any cast iron into the middle of the fire, so that I could get as even as possible heat all around. I would keep an eye on it and watch for it to be a reasonably red to bright red but not cherry red, I would then leave it like that for a short while, depening on the size, and that pull it to the top of the fire and then dampen the Parkray down to the normal use level. Once the piece had gone back to black I would then pull it out of the fire and bung it in the ashpan untill morning. All the pieces that I did like this would machine very nicely.

Below are a couple of scans that I've dug out of my old college notes when I was doing my C&G advanced welding, which may help you.

graph01.jpg

graph02.jpg

Regards Nick.

JasonB17/12/2013 20:04:01
19507 forum posts
2131 photos
1 articles

20mins at this colour allowed me to complete this part which is probably a bit above dull red.

Bazyle17/12/2013 20:43:18
5688 forum posts
208 photos

Thanks, I keep forgetting it needs the actual temperature not just time like some diffusion based transformations. Might try a couple of firebricks to condense the size of the fire then I can run it hotter without overheating the rest of everything.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest