Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Lorch.Schmidt lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoffrey HYDE FYNN22/10/2013 20:53:17
20 forum posts
3 photos

Hello,

I am still in the process of dealing with my father's collections of this and that. I am now in the process of preparing a Lorch.Schmidt watch maker's lathe for sale. I am trying to get it in "full working order" but the electric motor is defying my efforts. Pictures of the lathe are at: **LINK**

The motor is DC but fails to respond to 6 or 12 volts. The brushes etc seem to be in good contact with the commutator but it doesn't respond... Judging by a sharp tool in the holder and a quantity of brass swarf below it has been working and used by my father.

Any thoughts?

Geoffrey

Edited By Geoffrey HYDE FYNN on 22/10/2013 20:53:54

Michael Gilligan22/10/2013 22:15:44
19589 forum posts
997 photos

Geoffrey,

That's a very nice little lathe ... You should get a good price, with or without the motor.

With the exposed terminals, etc. It certainly looks like a low voltage motor ... but at that age, one can never be sure!

May I just confirm ... are those leads what your father had on it, or just some test leads you are using ?

MichaelG.

Geoffrey HYDE FYNN22/10/2013 22:50:42
20 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks for the reply Michael.

The leads are those used by my father. I can't say that they give me a clue. The end of one has a flattened small spade and the other has a hand formed/twisted ring as if it went over a terminal. I can't recall a power supply in his workshop when I cleared it that these ends would have connected to. But there again there were many and varied very old power supplies and they mostly got "skipped" without too much examination!!.

You may be right and that I should simply put it up for sale "as is" and then move onto the next thing to sort out and sell!!

Geoffrey

Springbok23/10/2013 04:24:07
879 forum posts
34 photos

Hi Geoff
There should be a small plate on the motor stateing voltage etc; think you skipped the baby with the bathwater (the power supplies) but suspect 24v DC. unusual for a lorch but may have come originally with 120v AC.
Let us all know when you are selling and where
Bob

Geoffrey HYDE FYNN23/10/2013 08:12:03
20 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks Bob

There's no little plate and no signs of one having been removed. You mention 120v AC. As shown in one of the pictures the motor has a commutator. My school physics suggests DC or do I have that wrong?

I will of course let the forum know where and when it's being sold which may be sooner rather than later if I've "skipped" the wrong power supplies.

Geeoffrey

Michael Gilligan23/10/2013 08:50:07
19589 forum posts
997 photos
Posted by Geoffrey HYDE FYNN on 23/10/2013 08:12:03:

As shown in one of the pictures the motor has a commutator. My school physics suggests DC or do I have that wrong?

Here is some physics revision for you, Geoffrey

MichaelG.

Ian S C23/10/2013 12:27:15
7468 forum posts
230 photos

If it's a DC motor, even a 200V+ motor will motor over slowly on 12 volts, although you might have to slip the belt off to let it run free. Ian S C

Geoffrey HYDE FYNN23/10/2013 14:42:35
20 forum posts
3 photos

Thanks to Bob for the revision and thanks to Ian for the suggestion. The motor is off the bed at the moment having looked for voltage plates to no avail. I will try it on 24V DC and see. If it doesn't run then I'm not going to try to find a 120 VAC supply and so will just put it on the market which I suspect will be Ebay where some very debatable examples have gone recently for quite high amounts - unless anyone has a better suggestion!

Geoffrey

Geoffrey HYDE FYNN25/10/2013 08:56:36
20 forum posts
3 photos

Thank you for all of your help.

I have decided to market it "as is".

The lathe and tools will be on Ebay later today or tomorrow. I have decided against a straight "classified ad." somewhere else as I've no real idea of its value. My research tells me that a rare type "WW" should get somewhere between £500 and £1000 but Ebay is a great leveler!

All the best,

Geoffrey

Michael Gilligan25/10/2013 09:11:15
19589 forum posts
997 photos

Geoffrey,

A sound decision

I wish you successs.

MichaelG.

frank brown25/10/2013 20:29:46
436 forum posts
5 photos

From the Wiki link - "The universal motor is a type of electric motor that can operate on both AC and DC power" - brushed motor. I inherited a small 110V motor from my Dad, that looked a bit like that one. It ran on 110V AC (and DC!). I dumped it because I got electric shocks from its frame.

Frank

daveb26/10/2013 00:35:03
626 forum posts
10 photos

Agreed, probably a universal motor. They didn't mind the occasional tingle in those days, motors were expensive. Many were run off a light socket adaptor (no earth), model making was much more of an adventure in years gone by.

Dave

Michael Gilligan26/10/2013 21:19:41
19589 forum posts
997 photos

Geoffrey,

I see that it's listed on ebay now.

Best wishes.

MichaelG.

Geoffrey HYDE FYNN26/10/2013 21:50:04
20 forum posts
3 photos

I have my finger's crossed!

Geoffrey

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest