Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Oct 11th

SIEG SC4 lathe opinions please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Parsons01/11/2013 14:10:30
118 forum posts
37 photos

Ignore this, I sent this same post twice, sorry...

Chris

Edited By Chris Parsons on 01/11/2013 14:11:34

David Hawker07/12/2014 23:08:43
2 forum posts

I was the customer who saw the machine at Arc and found it noisy. I subsequently bought one from Axminster and have been very happy with it. The Axminster machine was quieter and now after a years use is fine.

David Hawker

Geoff~08/12/2014 09:34:41
31 forum posts

David, thanks for that.

I subsequently bought the SIEG SC6 from ARC and am also happy!

Geoff~

geoff walker 117/09/2019 13:40:38
323 forum posts
140 photos

I am considering buying the SIEG SC4 lathe. Are there any owners here who could voice their opinions of this machine please?.

Hi All,

I'm not the original Geoff who posted the first message, (copied above), in this thread nearly six years ago.

It has been 4 years since the last post so could I revive the original question as I would imagine there are now more owners and I am giving serious consideration to buying one from ARC eurotrade.

I know Neil has one and also Andrew Whale, anyone else.

Unfortunately I live a long way from ARC's headquarters so calling there to view one is not an option just yet.

I live in WA3 north Warrington, any North West owners.

Geoff

Neil Wyatt17/09/2019 14:04:28
16559 forum posts
687 photos
75 articles

I will be honest; this is a genuine opinion and I know many other people would not share it.

I think the SC4 is close to an ideal lathe for model engineering, and I would not swap mine for other lathes that have held that distinction in the past.

It's one shortcoming is the slowest spindle speed of 100rpm which is a bit fast for cutting coarser threads. But no lathe is 100% perfect. I do have plans to address this with an intermediate belt pulley geared down about 1.5:1.

Neiel

geoff walker 117/09/2019 19:16:38
323 forum posts
140 photos

Hi Neil,

Thank you,

I see that Axminster have a lathe which looks very similar to the ARC SC4 lathe. It has a much nicer colour, a free set of lathe tools and it costs about £500 more...........unless of course I'm missing something.

Anyone else got a Sieg SC4 lathe.........opinions please, many thanks

Geoff

jimmy b17/09/2019 19:27:38
511 forum posts
28 photos

I'm a big fan of the SC4. Mine is 10 years old, (called the C4 then), its done stacks of work, including thousands on stainless bolts. Its still on its original belts.

In that time I have got through a couple of 3 jaw chucks.

Ample power. I really can recommend these lathes!

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Meridienne oct 2019
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest