Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

John Stevenson's next project??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
JasonB10/10/2013 08:09:16
23088 forum posts
2774 photos
1 articles

Saw this and thought of JS after is comments about Brough in the other motorbike thread.

J

NJH10/10/2013 10:09:45
2314 forum posts
139 photos

I can remember my Dad going into raptures over the Brough Superior. It does look a bit light weight though doesn't it? - Not much more than a motorised pushbike.

I do admire folk who take on projects like this though. Hours and hours of work with meticulous attention to detail. How much of the original will remain in this case though is a mute point!

N

Windy10/10/2013 11:07:52
892 forum posts
190 photos

Memories.

As a 16 year old on Hob Moor there were these young lads (no driving license) riding old bangers, Rudges, Nortons, BSA and other makes.

To top it all an older youngster who had a license owned a road legal SS80 with sidecar.

Paul

Russell Eberhardt10/10/2013 11:18:51
2752 forum posts
86 photos

I've bought cars in a worse state than that and restored them - but £15,000 surprise

Russell.

A Smith10/10/2013 12:49:23
86 forum posts
4 photos

It's a bit like watching football, horse racing or ballet; collecting stamps or coins. If you're interested, you'll spend whatever you think is needed. Personally, I'd buy ithe Brough if I could afford it.

Andy

Jo10/10/2013 13:18:37
198 forum posts

I can't see it going any where near that cheap, it is a very restorable machine: I have restored one from a similar starting condition and even immaculate that was worth a lot less than that will be when finished.

Jo

John Stevenson10/10/2013 21:52:24
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Not likely, I'd run a mile the other way.

Brough's in the vintage movement are like Myford's, not necessarily good but well known and because of this have the aura of the name.

Helped that Lawrence of Arabia owned one and the aura was added to when he was killed on one. Mind you the cynics could say that's how bad the handling was, that it was worse than a camel.

George Brough was a showman through, through and through and this helped the mystique.

In the case of the SS models though they were just assemblers of motor cycles like many in their day. They did make the frames from bought in tubing, bought in fittings, the tanks and other tin ware.

Everything else was made by others, the engines were JAP fitted with a Brough timing cover. Forks were Druids, wheels by the Birmingham Hub company, Sturmley Archer or Burman gearboxes

Ironically Matchless made an almost identical motorcycle at the time but it did have a matchless engine. Many said it was as good or better than the Brough but they will fetch nothing like in a sale room

Michael Gilligan10/10/2013 22:28:20
20289 forum posts
1064 photos

The Austin engined one, with twin back wheels was [shall we say] innovative.

... see item [6] here.

MichaelG.

ronan walsh10/10/2013 22:49:07
546 forum posts
32 photos

Run a mile the other way ? Why ? As broughs are being built again most spares are available and the finished product will be worth a fortune, some american with more dosh than sense will snap it up.

The handling ? I never heard it was all that bad with broughs, but then again it is 80/90 year old technology so its not going to out handle the latest honda fireblade or ducati superbikes. Evil handling is something i'd associate more with vincents and pre unit triumphs.

George brough ? Don't forget his mouth got him into trouble with rolls royce , as he called his machines the rolls royce of motorcycles, which apparently they didn't like at all.

Broughs being glorified bitsa's ? There is no denying it. I have a triton (triumph engine (tri) norton frame(ton)) and some of the snottier elements of the classic bike world love to look down their noses at you and inform you its a bitsa in uncertain terms, its great to throw "yes just like a brough superior" back at them, always shuts them up.

Edited By ronan walsh on 10/10/2013 22:49:56

John Stevenson10/10/2013 23:40:20
5068 forum posts
3 photos

Ronan,

Some bike draw you to them by virtue of design or looks but I'm afraid the Brough's never did that for me. OK yes you would make money but I would not enjoy the build. I'd get far more out of rebuilding something more exotic even if it never made much money.

There is always a down side in owing these. A friend recently had to sell his AJS 7R because he couldn't afford to keep it insured. The insurance companies now know what they are worth and the premiums match the current prices.

Even though he kept it indoors I don't think they believed him and probably costed it up as being in a lockup garage.

ronan walsh11/10/2013 00:00:18
546 forum posts
32 photos
Posted by John Stevenson on 10/10/2013 23:40:20:

Ronan,

Some bike draw you to them by virtue of design or looks but I'm afraid the Brough's never did that for me. OK yes you would make money but I would not enjoy the build. I'd get far more out of rebuilding something more exotic even if it never made much money.

There is always a down side in owing these. A friend recently had to sell his AJS 7R because he couldn't afford to keep it insured. The insurance companies now know what they are worth and the premiums match the current prices.

Even though he kept it indoors I don't think they believed him and probably costed it up as being in a lockup garage.

Well if a design or style of something doesn't grab you then its hard to have interest in it. For me the bikes of the 50's and 60's are far more appealing. As for the insurance companies knowing what the bikes are worth, sadly thats because the lowlifes also know what they are worth. A certain well known auction website is a god send to them as these old bikes are sometimes worth even more in bits than complete.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate