Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New Look

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Russell Eberhardt01/10/2013 11:46:38
2728 forum posts
86 photos

Thanks for changing the thread colour changes - that works much better for my old eyessmiley

Russell.

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 11:56:47
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Nicholas, NJH, Slotdriller, Russell, thank you

Ian P, yes, the missing emails were my fault, I fixed it last night, sorry. We can't stop the smileys though, it is just generally accepted that if you type something like semi-colon right bracket, you get a smiley. I've made 5558 forum posts on Popular Patchwork, and never posted an accidential smiley yet! wink I don't like smileys myself, but a common complaint on the other forums is that there aren't enough of them, so it could be worse

CoalBurner, Hi Speed Scrap not sure what is required here in practical terms

Roy Entwistle, please see increase in number in latest forum posts, and link to top of post so you don't need to scroll down as far

Jason Udall, Zooming in or out works fine for me, apart from Text Only zoom, which can't always be guaranteed to preserve the layout properly. Which browser are you using, and what zoom? I will see what I can do

ModEng2000, Thanks for letting me know, not sure if I can work round that or not, but I will have a look

Jim Guthrie, please see earlier reply to Old Elan

MechMan48, I'm sorry, we can't implement an autosave with this text editor. As Russell says, you can just copy your own text before you post, and paste it in the editor

JA, I personally use the latest posts page at least once every day to see what has happened when I first log on, and use the side list during the day, when I have already caught up. I don't know if that would work for you, but it works fine for me (I am the webeditor for Popular Patchwork, and have been reading all our forum posts every day for 6 years or so)

modeng200001/10/2013 11:59:31
304 forum posts
1 photos

Katy, if you can work round that for mei I'd be pleased but you probably have enough to do just now.

John

mechman4801/10/2013 12:26:44
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Katy/Jason,

Thanks for the response / tip re. copying text.

George

Grizzly bear01/10/2013 13:27:09
300 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Katy,

You have done a good job.

Engineers are used to adapting.

Keep smiling.

Regard, Bear..

Bubble01/10/2013 13:48:09
75 forum posts
6 photos

Hi Katy

My access to the archive is also blocked, my subscription is until march2014

but the site tells me I am not a current subscriber

and yes my subs number is on my profile

Jim

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 13:53:11
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

I'll have a look, I'll probably have to email the subs people again, but I'll email you if I f find anything before they do, and when they do

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 13:57:41
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Hi Jim

It should work now, you needed your surname in your details so you could be matched up with your subscription.

Thanks

Katy

NJH01/10/2013 14:06:39
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Oh Katy!!

"(I am the webeditor for Popular Patchwork, and have been reading all our forum posts every day for 6 years or so)"

Now you've done it!!

My wife is a patchwork & quilting fanatic and I was foolish enough to point out your posting to her. " Oh I've not seen that site - wow send me a link " she says. Now I will never get her out of the sewing room and away from the computer so I will have to revert to a diet of marmite sandwiches!!

Thanks for increasing the number of " Latest Forum Posts and for all your efforts to address the issues raised here. With that interactive approach I can put up with any other little differences which, I'm sure, will soon be accepted as the norm.

Regards

Norman

Gray6201/10/2013 14:29:40
1057 forum posts
16 photos
Posted by Katy Purvis on 01/10/2013 11:56:47:

CoalBurner, Hi Speed Scrap not sure what is required here in practical terms

Hi \Katy, I have no idea where you got the above from. I have only made one post in this thread, the content of which I have copied below;

Change for the sake of change! without actually addressing any of the long standing issues with basic functionality.

Cluttered, clumsy, unweildy, homepage overburdened with unnecessary images, too much whitespace wasting valuable screen real-estate.

Apart from that I hate it smiley

regards

CB

Ian P01/10/2013 15:04:41
2579 forum posts
114 photos
Posted by Katy Purvis on 01/10/2013 11:56:47:

Nicholas, NJH, Slotdriller, Russell, thank you

Ian P, yes, the missing emails were my fault, I fixed it last night, sorry. We can't stop the smileys though, it is just generally accepted that if you type something like semi-colon right bracket, you get a smiley. I've made 5558 forum posts on Popular Patchwork, and never posted an accidential smiley yet! wink I don't like smileys myself, but a common complaint on the other forums is that there aren't enough of them, so it could be worse

Katy

Thanks for the reply, and thank you for fixing the emails.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'its generally accepted' that semi-colon, right bracket inserts a smiley. I have opnly evers seen this 'feature' on this forum.

Like you I am not a fan of them. That leads me to ask whether you put the one in your reply deliberately?

Ian P

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 15:10:52
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Hi Ian, Yes I did put it there deliberately. Typing those key combinations in a text editor in an awful lot of websites would produce a smiley. Maybe the frequency of the combinations is more evident with the type of posts you make here, I'm not sure. But on facebook, and blogs and other forums etc, the key combos would usually work, even if their isn't an explicit button for them as there is here.

richardandtracy01/10/2013 15:14:34
943 forum posts
10 photos

It's different. I have no problems with the changes. It looks clearer than it was.

It would be nice to jump to the latest unread post when you're logged in and are looking at a thread list in a forum. But that is a 'Would be Nice' rather than a killer.

Regards,

Richard

MadMike01/10/2013 15:18:30
232 forum posts
4 photos

Katy I am a regular visitor to this site, but only a very occasional contributor. The new webpage format and the increased area for message text, added to the increased clarity of the whole page are a vast improvement on the older version. Clearly you are on top of resolving issues at an almost macro level at this stage and for this you should be congratulated. Changing the format on a site like tgis is no mean task and IMHO it has proceeded extremely well.

People who claim to be engineers and yet then go on to admit that they are resistant to change forget that it was engineers who created the massive changes in materials, techniques and machines that created the rapid and successful development of this nation and indeed the rest of the world. Engineers led the way, it was the luddites who resisted them..............and failed.

Keep up the great work.......oh yes nearly forgot, Popular Patchwork is a great site

Ady101/10/2013 15:19:33
5069 forum posts
734 photos

Still miles better than Yahoo

Their recent changes have been a disaster for Yahoo groups

Ziggar01/10/2013 15:28:32
115 forum posts
1 photos

can i ask why you, Katy, are here sorting this mess out while the two supposed editors/moderators that should be here are nowhere to be seen and can only be assumed to be in hiding ?

Z

Michael Gilligan01/10/2013 15:31:51
20108 forum posts
1043 photos

Katy,

I must congratulate you on the interactive approach you are taking

... It really does make a refreshing change!

The blue & black thread titles are a vast improvement, thank you.

May I also refer you to a recent thread called Messages, where it is noted that "Inbox" on the top bar might be better labelled "Messages".

MichaelG.

Ian P01/10/2013 15:48:20
2579 forum posts
114 photos
Posted by Ziggar on 01/10/2013 15:28:32:

can i ask why you, Katy, are here sorting this mess out while the two supposed editors/moderators that should be here are nowhere to be seen and can only be assumed to be in hiding ?

Z

Please don't make waves!

Katy is doing a thankless job, brilliantly! This is the first time that anyone from the management has taken a active interest in the users and usability of this site. Not only has she taken an interest but has been helpful and most importantly honest and communicative!

I would not criticise the magazine editors, they did what they could but only had limited power in relation to the website.

There have been one or two sporadic posts on this forum from other 'techies' but their interest did not last long and I don't recall any vast improvements as a being their legacy

Ian P

David Clark 101/10/2013 16:11:56
3357 forum posts
112 photos
10 articles

Hi Ziggar

I am one of the Editors/moderators.

I no longer work for MyTimeMedia but am a contractor solely responsible for editing Model Engineers' Workshop.

This means I do not get paid to moderate this forum.
Anyway I don't think I should interfere with the site as it is not my responsibility.

I have retained moderator status so I can help members with the occasional subscription query and update the Model Engineers' Workshop preview and cover.

If any member wants to discuss anything with me whether related to this website or MEW they can email me at:

david.clark@mytimemedia.com

regards David

PS. I can live with the new look site but would prefer the main page limits to be defined with a background colour. While they are not defined, it looks like half the site is missing on some pages.

Edited By David Clark 1 on 01/10/2013 16:12:25

JasonB01/10/2013 16:16:27
22604 forum posts
2643 photos
1 articles
Posted by Ziggar on 01/10/2013 15:28:32:

Z

I think you answered it yourself. Diane and David are prmerily magazine editors and secondly forum moderators. Katy is part of MTM's IT department so better quallified to sort of web issues.

J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest