Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

New Look

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy Purvis30/09/2013 20:29:43
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Ziggar, I have looked at your account to see what the problem is, and found that your expiry date has not been reached, but your subscription has a status of 'deleted'. I will have to speak to the subscription company tomorrow to find out why this is.

modeng2000, Please can you try clearing your cache, I am using the same version of Firefox as you, and I can see the top bar. If that doesn't work, please can you send a screenshot and OS and browser details to me at katy.purvis@mytimemedia.com

I will investigate the other comments in more detail tomorrow.

Nicholas Farr30/09/2013 20:37:44
3330 forum posts
1531 photos
Posted by Versaboss on 30/09/2013 14:28:08:

Clickable links in BLACK!!! This is not serious - the whole rest of the world uses BLUE...

Greetings, HR.

Hi, it certanly looks different. I personally prefer blue links that you haven't clicked on already. Shame there is only 5 latest posts instead of 10 in the latests forum posts on the home page, also a shame the latest picture thumnails are not on the home page, so that you can see if there are any new ones without going into the albums.

I do think it looks crisper though and I guess given a little time the old style will be forgotten.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 30/09/2013 20:45:00

Ian P30/09/2013 20:41:08
2579 forum posts
114 photos

Katy

I presume (hope) you are following this thread, I think the comments so far are mainly favourable and I hope the you are able to attend to the various small items that have been mentioned.

Apart from my question earlier (about 'My Friends' I now have noticed something else that seems to have stopped working.

I replied to this thread earlier with the notification box ticked, I also later clicked the 'send me emails..' box, but I have not recieved any alerts by email.

Does anyone else see this problem?

Ian P

Ian P30/09/2013 20:47:09
2579 forum posts
114 photos

And another one Katy!

Please, please, do something to stop the text editor putting in random smilies.

Things like that create misunderstandings, who knows, it might even trigger WW3!

Ian P

Gone Away30/09/2013 21:42:49
829 forum posts
1 photos

Here's what I'm seeing (FF 18)

me-web.jpg

Edited By OMG on 30/09/2013 21:43:39

Gray6230/09/2013 21:44:29
1057 forum posts
16 photos

Change for the sake of change! without actually addressing and of the long standing issues with basic functionality.

Cluttered, clumsy, unweildy, homepage overburdened with unnecessary images, too much whitespace wasting valuable screen real-estate.

Apart from that I hate it smiley

NJH30/09/2013 22:22:17
2314 forum posts
139 photos

Well Katy ( Good name - my daughter is Katy!)

You can please some of the people ......etc etc.! ( and we older gits are notoriously harder to please - just ask our wives)

JohnS's comments re Yahoo groups are appropriate - now they really are awful.

I don't find this site too bad and my only real criticism is the reduced number of " Latest Posts" shown. If you could restore that to its previous size then I think I could live with ( though maybe not love!) the rearrangements.

Cheers

Norman

( Take heart too - many of us will have forgotten all about it quite soon - now what day is it today and what did I have for supper?)

Edited By NJH on 30/09/2013 22:23:24

roy entwistle30/09/2013 23:50:28
1504 forum posts

If its not broken why mend it ? This website is an abomination When I click on a forum post I have to scoll

down to read it Why only 5 forum posts If this website is not improved in the near future you canh count me out

Roy

jason udall01/10/2013 00:19:45
2031 forum posts
41 photos

page mangeled...

some thing wrong with spacer fillets around ads in masthead

Edited By jason udall on 01/10/2013 00:22:50

jason udall01/10/2013 00:31:41
2031 forum posts
41 photos

just tried zooming out.....if i zoom out far enough..the tabs in the black line heder no longer run into one... so I guess website design 201 will be done later.

Hi Speed Scrap01/10/2013 03:13:18
23 forum posts

Meanwhile the people on my right, I'll bet are enjoying the extra advertising area.The level of

importance of forum users is decreasing as the revenue from advertising increases.

The next change will be the advertising column will be the width of this column and

the forum column will be the width of the one on my right.

Now where's that random smilie?

Dave

I.M. OUTAHERE01/10/2013 04:48:43
1468 forum posts
3 photos

No problems here although i have noticed the page is larger vertically and the Avertisements are not visible unless i scroll down the page .
Not that it worries me though !

All up i think it looks good and i'm sure once everybody gets used to it and there is still a big chunk of blank space at the bottom of the page for future additions .

Ian

modeng200001/10/2013 07:11:38
304 forum posts
1 photos

Katy, I have a confession to make, I use Adblock Plus to remove the anoying flickering side adverts which I find very distracting. It would seem that the clickable items at the top of the page are part of the headline banner and are being removed by Adblock as well as any advertising. This is a change from the previous headline settings and seems to be the answer to my query.

While I do not like this I guess I'll just have to put up with it if I want to continue to contribute to this forum.

John.

Edited By modeng2000 on 01/10/2013 07:21:28

Ziggar01/10/2013 10:14:04
115 forum posts
1 photos

any news on why my account has been tampered with ?

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 10:17:42
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Not yet I'm afraid. I have emailed the subscription company and I'm waiting for a reply. I'll email you when I get an explanation. I'm sorry there isn't anything else I can do at this end. Your account hasn't been tampered with here. I don't know why the status is set as deleted in the subscription database.

Jim Guthrie01/10/2013 10:21:41
107 forum posts
5 photos

Sadly still no 'first unread post', though....

That is one feature which would help reading this forum no end. It's a feature common on other forum software and saves having to trawl down a thread to try and work out where your first unread post might be.

Jim.

mechman4801/10/2013 10:34:12
2947 forum posts
468 photos

Looks crisper; have accessed my 'Albums', 'digital copies', 'Messages' ok so far, but! ... when I left 'reply box' to go back to another page 'Messages' what I had already typed was deleted & had to start typing again, is there any way that the reply box can keep what you have already typed i.e 'auto save', there are many other forums that do this, surely it is simple enough to include 'auto save' command into the programme/template?

Previously I have had to 'copy & paste' what I have typed into a word doc, leave the page to go to another then return to a 'blank' reply box, copy & paste from the saved word doc to get back to my previous typed content, finish off what I was typing then 'add posting'

Regards

George.

JA01/10/2013 10:57:31
1346 forum posts
80 photos

Change for change's sake - OK with me. It seems to work OK with SeaMonkey (a Mozilla product) and I don't get upset about colours for links, adverts and lay-out in general.

However the list of "Latest Forum Posts" is too short. Ideally it should be two days long. Think about it - How often do you look at the list and do you want to be up to date with the postings?

JA

Russell Eberhardt01/10/2013 11:12:26
2728 forum posts
86 photos
Posted by mechman48 on 01/10/2013 10:34:12:

Previously I have had to 'copy & paste' what I have typed into a word doc, leave the page to go to another then return to a 'blank' reply box, copy & paste from the saved word doc to get back to my previous typed content, finish off what I was typing then 'add posting'

You only need to copy your text. You can then paste it when you get the blank edit box - no need to paste into Word.

I admit it can be a bit frustrating though.

Russell.

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 01/10/2013 11:15:47

Edited By Russell Eberhardt on 01/10/2013 11:16:08

Katy Purvis01/10/2013 11:35:23
55 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles

Russell, John Coates, John Stevenson, Jason B, Thor, thanks for your comments and help, I have increased the contrast on the thread colour changes. I have also increased the number of latest posts. The old side pod previously had 5 entries, this hadn't changed, but I've increased that to 10 this morning

Old Elan, I'm sorry a 'latest unread' is beyond the scope of this layout change, and in all honestly is not likely to be implemented. This would require us to store information every time a user views a post, and maintain a lot more data. The database would probably crawl to a halt accessing and processing that information for all the users on all the MTM forums.

Ian P, 'My Friends' isn't new, it is just a way of seeing when people you know are online, but you don't have to use it now if you didn't before, it hasn't changed.

modeng2000, I see from your later post that this may be sorted now

DMB, you are correct, this issue is from whenever the MEW info was last updated, which is not part of this layout change, but I corrected the mistake anyway.

Macmarch, Graham Meek, Sandy Morton, sorry, not much I can do here! If you have specific complaints that it is possible for me to solve, I'll try.

Jason Udall, I see you had problems later, I'll come to those on the next page, thank you

Peter Tucker, I think the latest posts page itself is more useful than the one on the homepage myself, but I take your point

OMG, I am struggling to replicate your problem, I think it may be to do with using Text Zoom rather than full zoom. The archive page you mention was the same before the layout change, but I don't think anyone noticed. However it was out of date, so I have replaced it. This is also a content issue, and rather out of my remit though.

Sorry if I've missed anyone

Edited By Katy Purvis on 01/10/2013 11:58:01

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest